Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to fishing

Options
  • 12-07-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm mad to get into bit of trout fishing I have a red wolf 10' spinning rod!
    I know nothing about fishing I don't know what lures to use of a reel!
    Can anyone advise me on the right equipment to use?
    I was also thinking of purchasing a telescopic rod they are very cheap and easy to carry around in the car?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The very best advice I could give would be to tag along with somebody who knows the ropes. You'll learn a whole lot more in an hour on the bank with an experienced angler than you would in days on here.

Contact your local fishing club or a friendly local angler and they'll be more than happy to help you out I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

telescopics rods are crap, buy a decent rod. Go to a decent tackle shop and you should get plenty of advice, if ur goin to spin id advise you to push down the barbs on the trebles because it makes unhookin way easier. get a net and a good set of forceps and use a wire trace if theres pike where your fishing!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Telescopic rods dont stay telescopic for very long, but they do the job if it's just a few trout you're after. Alot of people will tell you that you have to spend big for good equipment, this is rubbish! Almost any rod and reel will do for trout fishing, whats most important is presentation in the water. Get some good 8lb line, a few mepps size zero spinners and cast upstream, slowly reeling back just enough for the blade to spin. This is the easiest way to catch trout. You could also drown a few worms if it's relaxation you are after. Stick a worm on a size 8 hook, have 2 shots of lead about 3ft from the hook and just drop it in a nice hole and wait for the fish to bite. Try strike the fish as early as possible to avoid the trout swallowing the hook deep. Tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭weetabix12345

Thanks for the advise lads much appreciated!!
    I was out with a telescopic rod today I borrowed it I can see why you call it crap!! I'm going to buy a 10lb line and some spinners any idea on floats??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

You don't need a float for spinning? I've never used a float for trout fishing at all but I've heard of people using a bubble float with a fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭weetabix12345

I know that but I heard people saying that it's better than spinning I'll try the both and see how I get on

Advertisement