Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options
  • 12-07-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

According to RadioKerry here , the PRO Cathal Walshe stated
    the event probably can’t get any bigger for health and safety reasons.

What, if any, changes would people like to see for the Ring of Kerry 2016.

~Some late changes this year like the wave times came too late imo. The idea is one that works at other cycling sportives/charity cycles and maybe if organised earlier for 2016 it would be better.
    How about: When registering for the cycle that you choose the time you want to start your days cycle -> ensuring those who want to cycle together have greater chance of booking the same time together.

~ Some of the road closures that were in place can be found here & here. Did anyone have any issues with any of them. I didn't hear of any problems but that's not to say no problems arose.

~ What about water-stops? Enough en route for people? We're lucky with it taking place on Saturday so businesses would be open eg: café ; restaurant ; local shops etc.

~ Mechanical Assistance: They were everywhere ; great knowing that support was there if needed.
    ^^^ This though I have issues with in that...
    People took part this year without having their bikes serviced before-hand. People took part without spare tube or even a pump.
    How can we make sure that even the basics like ensuring your bike has had a service before-hand ; ensure that people bring their own spare tube & pump <- even if they can't change the tube, once they have a spare someone passing could assist.

The linkie above stated "probably can't get any bigger for health & safety reasons" to me sounds like the numbers will increase next-year to maybe 14,000 <- just my guess right now.

Anyone any thoughts on what, if any, improvements or changes they would like to see implemented for the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I wonder, could a bike shop or bike chain be brought in as a partner, and have bike personnel at registration, giving bikes a quick once over. They could also have tubes, puncture repair outfits and basic mini pumps for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well the obvious one is to sort out the registration mess, it's silly that people book accommodation and are a long way into their training without being certain of a spot.

I don't understand the waves idea, when I did it people started at whatever time suited, so you had a constant flow of riders out of Killarney from first light, far better than any regimented wave system and much less work involved for the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

I think the wave system must have worked. Thought there was a lot more space on the road compared to last couple of years. As for people with no tubes/pumps, should be left sitting on the side of the road. Sign on was good this year. Registration just needs to be sorted for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ensure that those taking part have at least some knowledge of basic cycling etiquette such as getting off the road when dealing with a puncture/mechanical. It defies belief that there are people out there who think it's appropriate to turn their bike upside down in the centre of the road during the ROK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

On the few sportives that I have done I have seen a few signs with rules etc.

None had the following.

NO 1

"PLEASE DON'T LITTER THE LOVELY ROUTE, TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME OR PUT IT IN A BIN"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

None had the following.

NO 1

"PLEASE DON'T LITTER THE LOVELY ROUTE, TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME OR PUT IT IN A BIN"

Definitely, have a bit of respect for not only people on the Ring of Kerry, but on any sportive route.
    While i was in Killarney for the cycle a few locals were saying how big the day had become compared to when it was in its infancy and maybe it would be better to hold it over 2 days. The committee addressed this issue in the lead up to this years cycle but i think it is something that might be closely examined.
    There are huge logistical hurdles to overcome, volunteers, medics foodstops etc if they were to go with this but with the goodwill of the local community it might be do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Even with the numbers this year, it made for uncomfortable cycling generally, with quite a number of spills and accidents. If I was to throw a few ideas out there which may or may not be runners:

1. Cyclists who've partaken in past events be given earlier start times. Let the faster riders go ahead whilst the leisure riders can spin at their own pace without causing anyone any bother

2. Would it be practical to run the event over two days instead of one?

3. Would it practical to use two or more different start points instead of everything starting in and ending in Killarney? This spreads the field out and makes the accommodation lottery a little bit easier.

Again some or none of these might be practical, but they might be a good starting point for a once terrific event that is undoubtedly becoming a victim of its own success.

This year was my second time doing the ring and it was enjoyable EXCEPT for the sheer numbers and the accidents I witnessed. When you factor the hassles on the day in on top of taking time off work to get down in time, doing a 400 mile round trip just to get there, and paying banditry prices for accommodation that was miles away from the start point, you do question in yourself why you would want to do it again if the experience on the day isn't as good as it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

The only 'downside', for me anyway, of the ROK is the high accident risk due to the large number of inexperienced cyclists (and I've nothing against inexperienced cyclist, everyone has to start sometime). So I'd like to see a big emphasis on some simple cycling principles:

1. keep left, pass right.
    2. no sudden movements (swerving, breaking, accelerating).

Friend of my brother's came off the bike on the ROK. Apparently some cyclist pulled into the left (no problem), but when she decided to resume cycling she just pushed her bike out into the road before starting again. Naturally she was clipped and my bothers friend hit the cyclist who hit here. God knows how many people fell due to that simple accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

There were far too many people on the road this year I felt. We left Killarney at 7.30 (our designated wave time) and were basically in a traffic jam until the top of Coomaciste. We saw several ambulances with the lights on during the day, as well as the accident outside Cahersiveen, something I'd not seen any year previously. Also the sheer number of slower cyclists hogging the middle of the road is very frustrating.

I realise the event is for everybody, but why can't they have a system like the Mini Marathon, where faster riders start first and the slowest ones set off last. Maybe use the wave system in this way next year - if you intend to complete the cycle in 6 hours then you leave at 6.30; 7 hours leave at 7.00; 8 hours leave at 7.30 and so on.

The other way to make it safer would be to run it over 2 days, with fewer people each day, but I understand what a big undertaking that would be for the many volunteers who already give up their day to make it such a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I haven't done the ROK, but is there really that many accidents? Reading the above it would appear that the ROK is akin to an early season A4 race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

None had the following.

NO 1

+1 Kinda sad that people have to be TOLD to do this...

07Lapierre wrote: »
    +1 Kinda sad that people have to be TOLD to do this...

It's sad, but not surprising.

IN an event such as this you are always going to get people you think they can do what they want, and just like in everyday life, see nothing wrong with littering.

One can either rub your hands and decry the terribleness of it all, or simply accept that this is the way it goes and whilst every effort should be made to extol the need to look after the country and to have respect for each other the organisers should also provide plenty of points to dispose of rubbish and also have crews that follow the event to clean up afterwards.

It's not right, and shouldn't need to be done, but it is the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

I'd sort the following;

1. Registration - allow each applicant registering to register up to 2 participants. It was a lottery as to whether or not any of your mates would get a spot this year.
    2. Wave start times - these only work if you do them based on expected pace. Earlier start times if you anticipate averaging 25-30KPH average, later if your in the 20-25KPH average range. (I know it's not a race, but what is a handy pace for some is crawling for others)
    3. Funnel system for food stops - funnel left for stopping at the food station keep right for continuing. (Or vice versa if the food stop is on the right) Could be signposted 750M - 500M in advance. Similar lane system for rejoining after food stops. Might cut done on the swerving left and right that was going on at times.
    4. Keep left and overtake right. Frustrating at times the road hogs sitting out in the middle twiddling along at a snails pace.

I didn't find the numbers overbearing, but I'm used to cycling in groups. Also, a little leaflet on how to call out hazards should be contained in each riders registration pack. Surprising the number of people not calling hazards as they cam upon them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Leroy42 wrote: »
    One can either rub your hands and decry the terribleness of it all, or simply accept that this is the way it goes and whilst every effort should be made to extol the need to look after the country and to have respect for each other

I think decrying the filthy scumbags who drop their litter everywhere is part of making every effort to reduce this behaviour. A lot of these people have no problem rationalising that what they are doing is no big deal. Most of them probably consider themselves decent people. If before every event there was appeals not to litter and afterwards there were people saying "can you believe there are still such filthy ****ehawks out there who would drop their gel wrappers on Molls Gap" it might make them think twice the next time.

Peer pressure is far more effective at changing behaviour than an abstract appeal to a persons better nature. Of course the best way, and the only way with some people, is punishment. If everyone who dropped a wrapper knew they would get a €50 littering fine I've no doubt their excuses for why they had to do it would disappear. Unfortunately that is not really feasible.

I very much doubt the sort of person who will drop their rubbish in their wake rather than stick it back in their jersey pocket is going to slow down and stop to dump it in a bin even if they were every 100m along the entire route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Really enjoyed my second ROK this year and didn't feel that it was too congested at any stage. Only used the Kenmare food stop as the first one was just chaotic last year and didn't look any better this year. I got a nice sandwich and decent coffee for less than a fiver in the supermarket next door.

Maybe a few more signs encouraging slower cyclists to keep to the left hand side of the road would make progress easier. Otherwise hard to see how they could organize the day any better given the numbers involved. Only saw one accident outside Glenbeigh. Hopefully I will be back.

^^ @ HivemindXX I agree with everything you say, but until such time as that is implemented then it falls on the organisers to limit the effects.

We know it is going to happen. As a nation, we are litterbugs. It is changing somewhat but the overreaching culture is that rubbish is someone else problem.

Just look at any person with an empty coke can or whatever when faced with a full bin on the street. In many cases they will simply leave the can beside the bin, as if that sorts the problem.

So it's not a cycling problem, its a societal problem.

We should certainly do all that you suggest, and certainly people should voice their disapproval when they see it happening, but that still leaves a problem that we know is going to happen and as such we should be planning on cleaning up afterwards.

And in some cases, wrappers, bottles etc do just fall out. You can't expect people to stop in the middle of a bunch to turn around and pick it up. It is not always on purpose.

Of course the problem is that once people know about the clean up crew, many peoples attitude will simply be that its therefore ok as some-else will pick it up anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

enable multi entry per login ( suggest 5-10 ). no point planning a group if a lottery to enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I haven't done the ROK, but is there really that many accidents? Reading the above it would appear that the ROK is akin to an early season A4 race.

Leroy - haven't done it in 3 years but I would say the number of accidents are hyped out of all proportion.
    Do accidents occur - yes.
    But then there are 11000 cyclists on the road.

How many occur - no idea.

For an event of 11000 I think that the roads should be completely closed in a rolling basis. Some of the narrowest stretch of road (70km from Caherciveen to Kenmare) is completely open to traffic all day.

What are the chances of that occurring in a county where the tour bus is king and the hotel owner is queen - virtually zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

michael196 wrote: »
    enable multi entry per login ( suggest 5-10 ). no point planning a group if a lottery to enter.

Don't agree... It encourages greed and touting. Every man for himself... If 5 of ye want to go... Then the 5 should make it their business to get their entry.

Look at the concerts etc... 1 hour after opening ticket desk .. They up on donedeal at double price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ Thanks for your replies so far :)

Something that I know was suggested via facebook by a few re: Registration :
    ~ A lottery. Similar to the Marathons eg here. The lottery for what, 500? places this year was overseen and captured. I didn't see it taking place but I trust it.

It would also make the online systems crashing again & again & yes, yet again! Lost count of how many times we were told for 2015 it would be okay ; you can register at x date ; oh no wait too many tried ; postponing ; you can register at later date/time ; okay so now you can register. I gave myself until 10:30 before I was giving up on the final day of registration and on my final shot I got in! Get in there! 3-in-a-Row :pac:

Any thoughts on that kinda system for 2016? Would be less headaches ; everyone in with the same chance and not relying on this country's broadband not to fail ; not getting distracted/angry in work while trying to register etc etc

~ Re: Litter
    Saw less bins myself this year in Caherciveen. Maybe more bins en route throughout this year for people, especially so at the stops. I couldn't find a bin for my sandwich holder when I was done so I left it on a table finishing up giving out to the Lucozade bottles to people. Even banana skins had to go somewhere after they being given out like.
    Bins, more bins for 2016 Please! The Littering was shocking this year and it needn't be as bad. More bins won't solve everything, fact, but it would help imo.

~ Re: Wave-time
    I know people want the faster out first but those who are not confident/not as fast would like to start that bit earlier to get out ahead and have that bit more time on the road instead of starting later and finishing later in the evening.
    The faster cyclists, those who are confident and know they'd be cycling faster start later and who knows, greater chance of a steady flow back into town.

~ Re: Signage for the less experienced
    Yes, I'd agree with this. The signs are a great boost on any cycle. Especially liked the one at Molls Gap " suffer for a few more minutes or feel sorry for yourself tomorrow " <- suits me that does!
    More signage like we have encouraging tourists to stay on the left-side of our roads encouraging cyclists to stay on the left-side of the road would be a real good idea also.

Just a few more thoughts.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

The roads should be closed, at least on a rolling basis. I was of the understanding (as I mentioned I haven't done it) that the roads were closed.

With such a big event, which 11k+ cyclists this is a massive tourist trap for the area and the local businesses should be doing all they can to accommodate.

Since it has been going for a few years, most people around the area will have heard of it and for those that are visiting etc it is up to the hoteliers etc to let them know.

I am actually amazed that there isn't closed roads for this.

Closing roads would be a logistical nightmare. It difficult enough and expensive getting a closure order for a couple of hours for a race over a few laps of a local circuit nevermind over a 170k route for a day. Applications would have to be made to Kerry Co Co for each section and advertisements placed in newspapers. Anyone living/working along the route of the proposed closures would be entitled to object and have their case listened to. Even if it was granted, there would be too many conditions to make it viable - e.g. each side road would have to be marshalled and signage in place.

It can be done, and if the people of Kerry want to event to continue to grow then it will be done.

At 11k+ this is far more than a simple race, this is a pretty major event and if the threads on here are anything to go by then there is plenty of pent up demand.

Instead of looking a this as a nuisance, Kerry Co Co and tourism Ireland (or whatever they are called) should be looking at this as a major event, something akin to the Dublin Marathon. That pretty mush closes a major part of Dublin Southside every year and yet the world doesn't seem to end.

The Women's Mini Marathon also closes road around Dublin.

They should try to calculate the amount of money brought into the local economy each year because of this event. 2 nights bedroom from a majority of the entrants, food, drink etc.

Even taking a conservative estimate of 50% of the entrants being from outside Kerry, @ €50 per night for 2 nights, along with a further €50 food/drink, thats €825,000 into the local economy! I am sure they are plenty of people who alos stay longer/bring their families.

Its difficult for races because the local authority don't really see any advantage to them, only local people being put out. In this case, get the local authority directly involved. It's one day a year, with many people taking back a very good experience and for many a new appreciation of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If one considers an economic cost benefit analysis of the Ring of Kerry, then the amount raised for local charities has to be considered.
    In many cases this pays for the staff that work in the charities - I know that is the case for a charity that my nephew depends upon.
    The cycle is so well established that everyone down here of all ages is fully aware of it - almost everyone in Kerry knows someone who has ridden it. If there was a will for rolling road closures there would be a way.

...and if the people of Kerry want to event to continue to grow then it will be done...
    Yes, but it only takes a small number of those Kerry people to object to a closure or appeal the decision if it is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

I thought the roads were closed for a few hours last year. There was notification in local press from kerry coco etc. What happened this year that they were not closed? There was no notice in local media. I was very surprised tbh. Saw some footage of this years cycle, saw a large tour bus trying to navigate narrow road with cyclists alongside. Bet he was wishing he was off that day! I don't understand why there were no restrictions this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The only road closures this year were the centre of Killarney, and from Kenmare over a Molls Gap as far as Torc waterfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

I just had a google there and see that there were temporary road closures throughout the route, one lane open mainly but traffic redirected also. It's on kerrycoco website. There was nothing in local papers about it and didn't hear about it on local radio either.
    Most people I know (if they not doing the cycle!) would avoid the roads anyway until afternoon. Pity the buses couldn't be halted for half a day at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

The volunteers, organiser and marshals were brilliant on the day - fair paly to them for their great work ethic and helping the charities raise funds.
    Possible areas for improvements:

1. Cycling etiquette announcement to go out in advance to all cyclists e.g. don't stop on the road to fix a puncture - pull away from the road surface to allow cyclists pass safely.

2. Communication - please shout to warn cyclist of oncoming hazards/when passing and learn the different cycling terminology such as 'car up' and 'car down' - shouting is allowed - this not a meditation class and cyclist should learn to communicate dangers to others.

3. A commemorative medal like the Wicklow 200 medal rather than a cert - even if you need to pay a little extra as you do in Audax events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

no matter how many times you tell some cyclists not to stop in middle of road, cycle on the left, etc it just doesn't get into their thick skulls. its the same with motorists, pedestrians, etc. its like they get into a bubble and think they're the only people on the road

we passed one girl who stopped dead in the centre of the road cos her partner had a puncture. I'd say she's still wondering what all the shouting and cursing behind her was all about

I prefer a cert to a medal - medal gets thrown in drawer, certs goes on wall of the shed and I see it all year round

loved the encouragement signs and the DJ on molls gap. more of that would be good

Advertisement