Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No different from any other route that's on a main road in a tourist area.

The route doesn't change regardless.

Of course there's a million and one nicer places to cycle. What's your point?:rolleyes:

The route is the route of course, the experience of riding it with another 10000 cyclists is a little different than riding it solo; maybe your experience has been different.

Ring of Kerry is very different to ride solo than Beara, Mizen or Sheep's Head peninsula in my experience, again your experience maybe different? All tourist areas but much lower traffic levels on other peninsulas and the tour buses are missing of course.

To get the best of Iveragh outside first Saturdy in July, for most part, go inland and upwards. That was the point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

What will happen to the entries where successful applicants don't complete the application process?

Will they be issued on a first come first served basis or will there be a further lottery draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭spookwoman

link_2007;98780113What will happen to the entries where successful applicants don't complete the application process?

Will they be issued on a first come first served basis or will there be a further lottery draw

It will probably cost another 10 to enter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

link_2007 wrote: »
    What will happen to the entries where successful applicants don't complete the application process?

Will they be issued on a first come first served basis or will there be a further lottery draw?
    It'd be really bad form if they don't just go again with the unsuccessful applications from the 1st round. But nothing would surprise me at this stage tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Any unused spots will be offered to those unsuccessful in the lottery...this is what the charity I'm involved with were told by a ROK committee member

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Many of those who didn't get a place a bit unhappy for following reasons.

1. The "committee" extended the deadline so they could get more €10 lottery fees. So some of those that entered after the original deadline expired have gotten places while some that entered before the deadline haven't

2 They have now made places transferrable so those that entered after the deadline and got a place can transfer it to someone who never entered the lottery at all, while some of those that paid €10 to enter the lottery before the deadline are left without places.

3 The draw was made Monday morning but those unsuccessful were left wondering and not informed till the Wednesday.

However we shouldn't complain because its for "charity"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Entries for R.O.K. close at midnight on 22nd. That's Monday night.
    There is a thread on Cycling Adverts, that contains a list of people looking for an entry.
    If anybody got an entry, that is not going to be used, they might consider passing their entry to somebody on that list, before it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The YOPPA wrote: »
    Any unused spots will be offered to those unsuccessful in the lottery...this is what the charity I'm involved with were told by a ROK committee member

How will they decide who gets an entry? Hold another lottery for those who were un successful in the first lottery??

07Lapierre wrote: »
    How will they decide who gets an entry? Hold another lottery for those who were un successful in the first lottery??

Yes.
    They will hold a lottery and offer places to unsuccessful applicants.
    Of course, some of those offered places will no longer want them, so there will then be a number of spare places to be filled.
    They will then hold another lottery and offer places to unsuccessful applicants.
    Of course, some of those offered places will no longer want them, so there will be a number of spare places to be filled.
    They will then hold another lottery......................

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So it's a bit of a lottery really ......

:)

• Advertisement

Sounds like they will loose even more people with this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

I applied for 2 tickets but I appear to only be able to buy one, did this happen to anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭fillup

Hi

Has anybody received an acceptance slip from their general Lottery application yet?

I’ve received mine via my Pieta application and it against Booking Type it says “Pieta House”

One of the guys who is doing it with me says he’s been pulled out of both the Pieta and RoK Lotteries but the acceptance slip he mailed onto me has “Pieta House” as the Booking type.

I’m not convinced that he’s successfully registered via both Lotteries (we were hoping to use the 3rd entry for a friend).

So my question is, if you’ve been registered via the general RoK Lottery what does it say against Booking Type on the Acceptance Slip?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

fillup wrote: »
    So my question is, if you’ve been registered via the general RoK Lottery what does it say against Booking Type on the Acceptance Slip?

Thanks

Via the Lottery it say "Booking Type: Central Registration"

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭fillup

Via the Lottery it say "Booking Type: Central Registration"

Cheers -- that's what i figured.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Would you think I'm out of luck if I was successful in the lottery, but forgot to register last night?!

**UPDATE** They called and sorted me out. Great customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Does anyone have any B&B recommendations? Everything online looks expensive although I don't mind paying a bit extra if it's decent accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Any word of second round offers coming through?

Changing the goalposts again... :o

Vektarman, would you consider staying in Tralee & travelling over to killarney on the morning of the cycle? Plenty of good deals online for Tralee. Brandon Hotel & Spa Is currently 280 euro total, for 2 ppl for 2 nights incl breakfast, just an option to the think about.

Would you think I'm out of luck if I was successful in the lottery, but forgot to register last night?!

I think this is the first time, they've been accused of giving great customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Sorry im late to thread , I didnt realise that registration and lottery would finish so early.

How can I still go about getting a ticket for this year's ring of kerry event

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kala85 wrote: »

Look at the thread in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum, and add your name to the list

Sorry im late to thread , I didnt realise that registration and lottery would finish so early.

Central registration is now closed.

You may be able to register directly with one of the Charities.
    they are listed in this link

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/charities/

If you get registered with one of the charities, they will expect you to raise sponsorship money for them.

There is a waiting list in the Cycling Adverts section of this Forum. You could add your name to that. Some people have gotten entries from that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Thanks for replies.how much are the tickets this year.

Thanks for replies.how much are the tickets this year.

If you check out this link, you'll find all the information, that you need , plus a lot more. You'll have to sift through it, there's quite a lot of dross there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057460673

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

For those that couldn't get into the ring of Kerry this year, there is a great alternative a couple of peninsulas down, some stunning scenery and great climbs in West Cork:

Wild Atlantic Mizen Cycle ..... http://www.wildatlanticmizencycle.com/

Who sets the amount when you sign up with a charity and why is it so high 200 or so is alot to go begging for

The Charity themselves decide the amount. Some are looking for money up front, others will give you up to the event to raise your money. The Charity I'm involved with, the Kerry Branch of the Irish Kidney Association have asked people to commit to raising a minimum of €170 and this is only paid over when bike tags are being collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Large paid advertisement in the Kerryman yesterday from one of the "charities" with places left over. "Only a few left" apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

For those that couldn't get into the ring of Kerry this year, there is a great alternative a couple of peninsulas down, some stunning scenery and great climbs in West Cork:

Wild Atlantic Mizen Cycle ..... http://www.wildatlanticmizencycle.com/

Stunning route, Seefin is worth the entry fee alone!

Advertisement