Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

SouthWest Counselling Centre Killarney have spaces available - they emailed me last night and are asking for €185 in sponsorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BailMeOut wrote: »
    SouthWest Counselling Centre Killarney have spaces available - they emailed me last night and are asking for €185 in sponsorship.

Recovery Haven have as well
    for 170min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

tuch wrote: »
    Large paid advertisement in the Kerryman yesterday from one of the "charities" with places left over. "Only a few left" apparently.
    Recovery Haven have as well
    for 170min

Strange that the charities are now chasing people to buy their registrations. Would not be surprised if they had to reduce their prices to offload them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

tuch wrote: »
    Strange that the charities are now chasing people to buy their registrations. Would not be surprised if they had to reduce their prices to offload them.

100 quid is plenty.

"Something something charity something complainers though"

100 quid is plenty.

It would be quite a climbdown if they were forced to begin offering them for less that the €170 min that they were told to demand by the committee, but the committee have already backtracked and done u-turns on other things e.g. extending deadline, making places transferrable etc so we'll see. A more likely scenario is that places will be returned unused to the committee and offered to those that were unsuccessful in the lottery.

I'm sure that some of those that have already paid €170 to the nursing home in Listowel are fine with their fee being used to pay for half page ads in newspapers touting for more business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

seems perfectly reasonable to me. take any entrants you can pre the lottery. lottery happens. lots of disappointed people who didn't get in, who hadn't been looking at the charity route. advertise to capitalize on their disappointment and offer them a way in. doesn't mean they are getting frantic at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Tuch, the charities weren't told to 'demand' €170...they were told that the average raised by cyclists last year was €170, but the charities were free to set their own targets.

Any unused charity registrations Will Be returned to the ROK Committee, it's not a 'likely scenario'.

I do agree with you regarding the full page advertisement, there are better & cheaper(free) ways to raise awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

from ROK FB page a few mins ago
    All lottery places have been confirmed so as a result there will be no decond lottery. But don't fret! Our ten nominated still have places for fundraisers smile emoticon Interested? Contact details for all charities (listed below) can be found here: http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/charities/
    This year's nominated charities are:
    - Aras Mhuire Nursing Home
    - Derrynane Inshore Rescue
    - Irish Kidney Association (Kerry branch)
    - Pieta House: Suicide and Self Harm Crisis Centre (Kerry branch)
    - RecoveryHaven Kerry
    - South West Counselling Services Killarney
    - St Francis Special School
    - St Joseph’s Nursing Home, Killorglin
    - St Ita’s and St Joseph’s Post Primary Special School in Tralee
    - Talbot Grove

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

from ROK FB page a few mins ago

Does this mean, that every single place, that was offered after the lottery was taken up?
    If every place was not taken what happened those places? were they given to the charities?
    I understood, that if places were not taken up, there would be a second lottery.

Eamonnator wrote:
    Does this mean, that every single place, that was offered after the lottery was taken up? If every place was not taken what happened those places? were they given to the charities? I understood, that if places were not taken up, there would be a second lottery.

The lottery was for a limited number of "cheap" places
    The committee is now hoping that there are enough suckers who were unsuccessful who are prepared to pay 170 euro minimum for the premium places. (In addition to the 10 euro lottery fee they already paid)
    If they can't shift them all at 170 euro there will probably be a second lottery draw closer to the event,
    The fact that some of the charities are taking out paid advertisements means this is a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Perazzi

What happens if your cycling for a charity and don't collect what they are looking for all charity's should be thankful for what they get

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Perazzi wrote: »
    What happens if your cycling for a charity and don't collect what they are looking for all charity's should be thankful for what they get

Don't sign up for a charity unless you think you get the minimum they are looking for as otherwise you are denying someone else an entry that might be able to maximise the money raised.

Of course I guess you could lie to the charity and not really try that hard to raise the money and ride the event. But seriously, if it means that much to you cycle it on any day and let the charities raise the money the way they think is best. Or just ride a different event which doesn't place such onerous levels of commitment on you

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Done the ring last year myself won't be doing it again too many rules and bull****e you would swere they owned the road down there. Whats stopping a few cyclists taking off themselves for a cycle ROK don't own the road. Ok the idea was good in the start to raise a few euro for charity but now they tell you what charity and its all kerry charitys and they tell you how much to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

popa smurf wrote: »
    Done the ring last year myself won't be doing it again too many rules and bull****e you would swere they owned the road down there. Whats stopping a few cyclists taking off themselves for a cycle ROK don't own the road. Ok the idea was good in the start to raise a few euro for charity but now they tell you what charity and its all kerry charitys and they tell you how much to donate.

Too many rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Yeah silly idea having rules for an event with 11000 cyclists off mixed levels on the same route...

(Care to elaborate on the rules that made you so unhappy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

jon1981 wrote: »
    Yeah silly idea having rules for an event with 11000 cyclists off mixed levels on the same route...

(Care to elaborate on the rules that made you so unhappy?)

Well wouldn't say I was unhappy had a problem raising the 120, asking people around galway for a charity down in kerry don't make much since in my opinion so I forked it out myself would love to have given it to brothers of charity where a relative is using there servises here in galway, but on a positive note the senery was stuning and good banter on the route best of luck guys if ye are doing it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Well wouldn't say I was unhappy had a problem raising the 120, asking people around galway for a charity down in kerry don't make much since in my opinion so I forked it out myself would love to have given it to brothers of charity where a relative is using there servises here in galway, but on a positive note the senery was stuning and good banter on the route best of luck guys if ye are doing it this year.

Well it is the ring of KERRY cycle. A cycle set up to raise funds for KERRY charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well now that the it's officially summertime and there's more daylight hours to prepare for the Ring here's a training plan, and a handy bike check list especially for first timers.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/training-tips/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

There are spaces still available, through the nominated charities if anyone is looking for a spot on the day. Only 8 weeks from tomorrow :eek:
    This is on the RoK Facebook page.

Looking to cycle in our fundraising event but haven't secured a place yet? Good news... five of our nominated charities still have places available! The following charities are still accepting fundraisers so if you'd like to join us for one of the world's most beautiful cycles in support of a good cause on July 2nd, get in touch with the charity directly:

1. Talbot Grove Addiction Recovery Centre | accounts@talbotgrove.ie
    2. St. Joseph's & St. Ita's Special School | rokcycle4stitasandstjosephs@gmail.com
    3. St. Joseph's Care Home | stjosephsrok@gmail.com
    4. Aras Mhuire Nursing Home | amnhkery@gmail.com
    5. South West Counselling Services | swccrokcycle@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

There are spaces still available, through the nominated charities if anyone is looking for a spot on the day. Only 8 weeks from tomorrow :eek:

Looking to cycle in our fundraising event but haven't secured a place yet? Good news... five of our nominated charities still have places available! The following charities are still accepting fundraisers so if you'd like to join us for one of the world's most beautiful cycles in support of a good cause on July 2nd, get in touch with the charity directly:

2. St. Joseph's & St. Ita's Special School | rokcycle4stitasandstjosephs@gmail.com

At €170 a pop they won't sell out. I'd hold off and they will drop them to face value (€85) with 4 weeks to go.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »

At 170 a pop they won't sell out. I'd hold off and they will drop them to face value ( 85) with 4 weeks to go.
    The irony of that comment :)

And the irony of the username!!

Touts...it's not about "dropping the price" , it's about fundraising.

Dropping the price to 85 raises nothing for the Charity, but hey, you can cycle the ring knowing you're doing it on the cheap.

The YOPPA wrote: »

The username is what I was referring to..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Touts...it's not about "dropping the price" , it's about fundraising.

Dropping the price to 85 raises nothing for the Charity, but hey, you can cycle the ring knowing you're doing it on the cheap.

I think you will find €85 is already about 4 times what most charity events charge. €170 is way way too much and the fact that an event that historically has sold out months in advance is still forced to advertise that tickets are available shows people are voting with their feet. I know my club which last year sent 13 people and the year before sent over 20 are sending none this yeat and opted for the Ring of Beta instead. We are all for supporting charity events. Just many people feel this is taking it too far and one charity event is trying to grab all the available cash for their local charities.

touts wrote:
    I think you will find €85 is already about 4 times what most charity events charge. €170 is way way too much and the fact that an event that historically has sold out months in advance is still forced to advertise that tickets are available shows people are voting with their feet. I know my club which last year sent 13 people and the year before sent over 20 are sending none this yeat and opted for the Ring of Beta instead. We are all for supporting charity events. Just many people feel this is taking it too far and one charity event is trying to grab all the available cash for their local charities.

Each of the 10 main charities get 500 registrations for the cycle. They can set a minimum figure for these places and yes I think 170 is too high hence some of the smaller charities have struggled to fill their 500 places & these are the ones now being advertised...the main places have sold out.

As for grabbing all the cash...approx 30 charities benefit from this event and yes, they're all LOCAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

I contacted SWCS the other night when I saw the post on the ROK Facebook page, Got an email back to say I was accepted,happy days or so I taught they wanted 185euro minimum, I know it has been done to death but that's just crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've done ring of Kerry 6 times after this year and ussualy train for it on my own or with my brother in law.

This year I seemed to have been dragged into doing other charity cycle events . all entry are around 25 euro . very well organised events .

All I'm saying is there is other events out there which are equally good.

I'm doing the Humpty 100 this weekend , this looks like a bleeding monster of an event . at 25 euro its a steal

25 Euro is fine for you Humpty 100 etc, but it's not a charity event...it's not providing much needed support for over 30 charities in the county.

As with a lot of other events whether it's running/cycling, whatever...if I think the asking price is too much - I don't enter, but I don't go giving out about the event online etc.

Move On.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

25 Euro is fine for you Humpty 100 etc, but it's not a charity event...it's not providing much needed support for over 30 charities in the county.

As with a lot of other events whether it's running/cycling, whatever...if I think the asking price is too much - I don't enter, but I don't go giving out about the event online etc.

Move On.

The whole idea of this thread, and indeed all threads on this forum, is to discuss, praise and criticise the events, that interest us.

Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Move On.

I fully intend to continue doing the ROK cycle to raise the money for 30 charity's .

I wanted to point out to other people who felt that the cost was to much there is other cycle events . I did the 3 climbs last week in Killarney, that was 25 and money went to a worthwhile charity .

Stephanie o Sullivan cycle , 20 euro
    Suicide awareness .

Plus I'd really like to add getting involved in cycling and meeting people will generaly always be positive and rewarding.

Advertisement