Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

HELP REQUIRED!!!

So only 7 weeks left to ROK and looking for some advice.
    This is my second year doing the cycle but last year I was out on the bike early March. Unfortunately due to family commitments this year I havent got out yet...

So just wondering any suggestions on a training plan for the next few weeks. Will I be prepared starting now?

Last year did 3-4 days per week....
    any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

I wanted to point out to other people who felt that the cost was to much there is other cycle events . I did the 3 climbs last week in Killarney, that was 25 and money went to a worthwhile charity .

Have to apologise for my post..I think I misread yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

dove2011 wrote: »
    HELP REQUIRED!!!

So only 7 weeks left to ROK and looking for some advice.
    This is my second year doing the cycle but last year I was out on the bike early March. Unfortunately due to family commitments this year I havent got out yet...

So just wondering any suggestions on a training plan for the next few weeks. Will I be prepared starting now?

Last year did 3-4 days per week....
    any advice would be appreciated

how did you do last year? Was it handy enough or did you struggle? Just get out between now and then as much as you can even if very short spins. The ROK is really that that difficult and you take a good few breaks along the way. The hard part is just the amount of time you are in the saddle.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    how did you do last year? Was it handy enough or did you struggle? Just get out between now and then as much as you can even if very short spins. The ROK is really that that difficult and you take a good few breaks along the way. The hard part is just the amount of time you are in the saddle.

Thanks BailMeOut,

Did okay last year; wasn't the fastest in my group and didnt struggle - had done around 900km training for it.

Looking at my strava my speed is faster than this time last year so am hopeful that if I get few hours of cycling over the weekend I should be fine.

Next week heading to Valentia Island from Killarney by bike so that will test me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

dove2011 wrote: »
    Thanks BailMeOut,

Did okay last year; wasn't the fastest in my group and didnt struggle - had done around 900km training for it.

Looking at my strava my speed is faster than this time last year so am hopeful that if I get few hours of cycling over the weekend I should be fine.

Next week heading to Valentia Island from Killarney by bike so that will test me!!!

7 weeks should be plenty. Don't just rely on flogging yourself over longer spins and then being wrecked for 3 days afterwards.

Try to get on the bike at least 3 times a week - 2 short spins and one long. Gradually build the long one up 120k or so over the next 6 weeks (eg start with a 60k and add 10k a week) and then make sure that you rest, eat and hydrate well for a few days before the event. Definitely don't have any alcohol the day before and don't over eat the day before either - just normal healthy meals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've geaneraly found over the years the fitness comes back quicker when you did a bit of cycling before .

I agree that going out on long cycles to much doesn't do you as much good as doing a few short intence cycles and then build up long cycles once a week .

I also finish my training weekend before and do very small cycles during week.

I've been doing a few charity cycles this year which I never did before which is great because for a small amount of money you get food stops , meet people and raise money for good causes.

Everyone's a winner

If there's one bad thing its seeing all the lovely bikes that cost a small fortune when yours is a cheap tired cycle .

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Hi all,
    I will be doing my first Ring of kerry this year. But I don't have any group to join near my house for practice. I am mostly cycling alone now. Will I able to join any group on that day? Are people welcoming to allow other lonely cyclists ? What about if my speed is not matching their group? Idea of cycling alone for that length bit scary for me at the moment. How do you go about in this situation?

powerstar wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I will be doing my first Ring of kerry this year. But I don't have any group to join near my house for practice. I am mostly cycling alone now. Will I able to join any group on that day? Are people welcoming to allow other lonely cyclists ? What about if my speed is not matching their group? Idea of cycling alone for that length bit scary for me at the moment. How do you go about in this situation?

Last year the organizers organized a time for lone cyclists to meet and start. Not sure it really matters are you are never by yourself for the entire day as one of the few cycles that never thins out.

Hi all,

I won't worry about it; I lost my crowd before Kenmare- (only meet them that day but had a friend in common).
    I cycled up Molls Gap on my own but meet plenty to talk to me and encourage me.... when you are cycling with people just say "hi" .....
    Everyone is in great spirits that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Hi all,

You'll be grand, there'll be 1000s on the road, stretched out in front of you, and way behind you. You will never be alone on the day! If you hook up with a group, and their speed is too fast, the next group will pick you up.

Where you at? Head over to the ROK Facebook page, there's probably a group near you.

Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

You'll have no problem finding company on the ring,actually finding space and staying safe is probably a bigger challenge. Just take your time early on and pace yourself, it's a long slog and most of the climbing is in the second half of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

+1 on what funnights above said.

I've done a few and I've never stayed in groups , I have my own level and just stick to that . you'll meet loads of people just like you and you'll have a ball .

Good luck and enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 alexlazarciuc

Hello,

Is there someone who will do the Ring of Kerry and will travel there from Dublin with car and have a free space in car? One spot for the bike as well. We can share the costs for return way for sure!

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Can't help with the space I'm afraid but you might want to add where you need the lift from. Dublin?

Thanks Brian!
    Forgot to add from where I'll go. Post edited :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Hello,

Is there someone who will do the Ring of Kerry and will travel there from Dublin with car and have a free space in car? One spot for the bike as well. We can share the costs for return way for sure!

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

Think I seen last year that Irish Rail accommodates cyclists in some way... Put your bike in mail carriage for you and so you could take the train????

Masala wrote: »
    Think I seen last year that Irish Rail accommodates cyclists in some way... Put your bike in mail carriage for you and so you could take the train????

I think that this will be my final option if no one with a car will appear.

I was down in Kerry over the weekend inflicting some pain on myself. Managed to include Coomakista and good to see a few Kms of it has been re-surfaced. The first 2 Kms are bumpy enough but for the most part it's a fairly smooth climb :)

All the info on sign in times, tag collection etc http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/news/all-you-need-to-know/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Hi all,

I do loads of sportives on my own (I'm a filthy mtb club member ;) but enjoy the road too) - something like the ROK is ace for a lone cyclist. Literally thousands of riders at every pace possible and everyone I met was up for a natter along the way. Just pay attention to the riders all around you to avoid any mixups, make sure you don't half wheel in a group (google road train cycling for tips) and keep the effort at about 65%.

The ROK is "easy" in that the roads are smooth (and closed in sections), there is a shedload of support along the way both on and off the road, you have all day to get around and it's not actually 181km (just over 171km).

There are 2 main climbs both with plenty of time to recover from between them, just take it steady and enjoy the views (particulary on the southern coast - it's nearly as nice as wicklow ;) ).

I'd recommend taking a plastic A4 pouch thing, so when you get your cert of completion, you can put it in the pouch to protect it until you get home.

One thing I do think the organisers could do/highlight, is the fact you don't have to start from the start. I started 10Km into the ROK at my B&B (as the owner said I was mad to cycle in to cycle back past), did the rest of the loop, picked up my Cert and completed the ROK outside the B&B. An additional 2-3 "start" points would spread the cyclists out around the loops too. It would be tricky to organise 10-15 years ago but I'd link to think that now it wouldn't be a problem. It would spread the ROK love around the rig too.

I am doing my 6th ROK this year and I know nobody has asked but I have these top tips if interested!

1. Pickup your tags on Saturday morning. There is no need to stand in a queue on Friday night as you can pickup in seconds on Sat morning right next to the start line.
    2. Start closer to 8am as most people start around 7am / 7:30am so road is really busy at this time and pace very slow going. So enjoy your breakfast and set off a little later when the pace is faster and less crowded and you will catch-up with with the main bunch right around Cahersiveen at the food stop.
    3. Use the food stops in Cahersiveen and Kenmare. There is a temptation to skip as they look so crowded but these are military style operations so you really do get your sandwich and tea very quickly.
    4. There is a brilliant little ice cream / coffee shop in Sneen right before the bridge where you can get your sugar/caffeine fix for the very long spin into Kenmare.

That's all. Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I am doing my 6th ROK this year and I know nobody has asked but I have these top tips if interested!

1. Pickup your tags on Saturday morning. There is no need to stand in a queue on Friday night as you can pickup in seconds on Sat morning right next to the start line.
    2. Start closer to 8am as most people start around 7am / 7:30am so road is really busy at this time and pace very slow going. So enjoy your breakfast and set off a little later when the pace is faster and less crowded and you will catch-up with with the main bunch right around Cahersiveen at the food stop.
    3. Use the food stops in Cahersiveen and Kenmare. There is a temptation to skip as they look so crowded but these are military style operations so you really do get your sandwich and tea very quickly.
    4. There is a brilliant little ice cream / coffee shop in Sneen right before the bridge where you can get your sugar/caffeine fix for the very long spin into Kenmare.

That's all. Enjoy the day!

Great advice to which I would add one suggestion:

Chip shop in Sneem, off to the left of the town centre. By that stage I was sick of sugary foods and wanted some more substantial. Nicest bag of chips I ever had, and I flew up the gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how many kms is the ROK cycle ??

i did the 62km tour de burren yesterday and am knackered today..so will the ROK be tougher?

fryup wrote: »

i did the 62km tour de burren yesterday and am knackered today..so will the ROK be tougher?

ROK is 170km. You will most likely have breaks at Caherciveen, Seem and Kenmare as well as on top of the two climbs. So while long there are quite a few decent stops to rest and refuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I found it easier than the tour de burren but it's a hell of a lot more crowded so you tend to get swept along in the crowd.

There are only the two climbs on ROK that would be considered tough but both of these aren't particularly difficult. The few drags that are in there are the most draining.

You'll have to up your mileage though as you'd want to be doing 100km cycles comfortably to enjoy it. It is a long day in the saddle but someone broke it down well before something along the lines of 60km break 50km break - 40km break - 30 and you're home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've done ROK few times but yesterday was first TdB. The 110km route on TdB was harder as the road surface isn't as good, roads are open, and there are constant rolling hills. ROK has good roads and only 2 real climbs but its a much longer day in the saddle. get in a few 40/50 spins mid week and try get a 100k next weekend to set yourself up. taper off the week of the ROK and I don't usually do anything much after the Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Hi, looking for some transport options with my bike, I could't find any seats with bike spaces in Irish rail.

Any other options to travel with bike pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

I thought I emailed the office Tuesday with my name transfer details but after realising I sent it to the wrong address. The cut off day was yesterday! Anyone have any advice on what I should do?! Tried ringing to no avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A mate and I are doing this cycle. We will be starting at 6.00am sharp.
    We expect to do do it in about five and a half hours moving, hoping to be back in Killarney before noon, average moving speed about 31.5kph.
    We won't delay at food stops and won't be stopping for ice cream or a pint.
    If anybody is interested in joining us, let me know or see you at the start.

Advertisement