Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^

ahmmmm...no thanks, i want to enjoy myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A mate and I are doing this cycle. We will be starting at 6.00am sharp.
    We expect to do do it in about five and a half hours moving, hoping to be back in Killarney before noon, average moving speed about 31.5kph.
    We won't delay at food stops and won't be stopping for ice cream or a pint.
    If anybody is interested in joining us, let me know or see you at the start.

sounds like zero fun to me! We are doing our 6th and our plan is to finish slower than any previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

philstar wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

i want to enjoy myself ;)

me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Just bumping the thread.... Less that 5 days to go!!!!!

Weather looks iffy.....according to my Yr.no site!!!

Hope the Friday Registration has been well thought out.... Don't want to be hours in a queue!!!

Any idea of final numbers.... Will they make the 11,000 mark again this year??

Masala wrote: »
    Hope the Friday Registration has been well thought out.... Don't want to be hours in a queue!!!

pick up your tags on Saturday morning! No queuing and takes literally seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Does anybody know what the story with the start time is? I've been given 7-7.30am but I'd like to be gone a bit earlier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

There's a potential issue with the site at the moment it may be compromised as part of a phishing campaign. I've fired off an email to the organisers to get them have their IT people to do a security check on it. Norton Safeweb and virustotal are reporting issues with it. I'd avoid it if possible for the time being.

Does anybody know what the story with the start time is? I've been given 7-7.30am but I'd like to be gone a bit earlier than that.

I was given a start time of 7.30am - 8.00am. I emailed the organisation, asking for an earlier time. I got a reply stating that my time could not be changed, because of the number taking part. I emailed back, pointing out that my desired start time would be a less popular one than the one I was allocated. This email was ignored.
    I am starting at the time, that I want to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Start whenever you like..the start time they give you is more a "Suggestion" than a direct order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Old School Husqy

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A mate and I are doing this cycle. We will be starting at 6.00am sharp.
    We expect to do do it in about five and a half hours moving, hoping to be back in Killarney before noon, average moving speed about 31.5kph.
    We won't delay at food stops and won't be stopping for ice cream or a pint.
    If anybody is interested in joining us, let me know or see you at the start.

If you could average your speed to 33.67kph I would join.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Start whenever you like..the start time they give you is more a "Suggestion" than a direct order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMkuPiIZ2k

Guidelines perhaps?

If you could average your speed to 33.67kph I would join.

ahmmmm....no thanks, I want to enjoy myself.

That's what I wanted to hear, 6am it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

If you got an entry through the ROK Lottery are you to receive an email to print out and bring with you for Sign On?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've just cancelled a booking for several beds in Neptunes Town Hostel, worth checking out if anyone is stuck for accommodation. We stayed there last year - great location and locked shed for bikes. No luck getting entries this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

kingdomlad wrote: »
    If you got an entry through the ROK Lottery are you to receive an email to print out and bring with you for Sign On?
    Well I did anyway! Maybe check spam, as it was named "queries" for me.

J o e wrote: »
    I've just cancelled a booking for several beds in Neptunes Town Hostel, worth checking out if anyone is stuck for accommodation. We stayed there last year - great location and locked shed for bikes. No luck getting entries this year.

There are six or seven entries for sale in the adverts. section of this forum

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well I did anyway! Maybe check spam, as it was named "queries" for me.

Mine was in junk. You would have gotten the same email after accepting your place and paying your balance, it's just an acceptance slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Can anyone recommend a good steak restaurant for a well deserved feed on Saturday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Doing it for the first time, looking forward to it. Did 140 in Conamara so reckon I'll be fine. Down there for 2 nights, looking forward to pre and post hydrating!! I imagine there's a great buzz around the place for the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

heraldo wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good steak restaurant for a well deserved feed on Saturday evening?

The Porterhouse have good steaks...obviously, ringing to book a table is advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Macs restaurant is also excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I am doing my 6th ROK this year and I know nobody has asked but I have these top tips if interested!

1. Pickup your tags on Saturday morning. There is no need to stand in a queue on Friday night as you can pickup in seconds on Sat morning right next to the start line.
    2. Start closer to 8am as most people start around 7am / 7:30am so road is really busy at this time and pace very slow going. So enjoy your breakfast and set off a little later when the pace is faster and less crowded and you will catch-up with with the main bunch right around Cahersiveen at the food stop.
    3. Use the food stops in Cahersiveen and Kenmare. There is a temptation to skip as they look so crowded but these are military style operations so you really do get your sandwich and tea very quickly.
    4. There is a brilliant little ice cream / coffee shop in Sneen right before the bridge where you can get your sugar/caffeine fix for the very long spin into Kenmare.

That's all. Enjoy the day!

I agree with nearly all of this, its my 6th as well .

The one I don't agree with is getting tags on sat morning .

Coming in on Friday night for me and the craic and atmosphere is all part of it .

The icecream in sneem is a must , !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Hi, Can any one recommend a overnight parking please? Hostel which I am staying doesn't have parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Don't want to sound like an old woman.... But am starting to worry about the weather for Sat!!!!!!!!

Anyone got better access to the forecasts for sat... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

yr.no is showing 0.7 mm rain and a light breeze. Accuweather is claiming it will be "Mostly cloudy with a few showers". So a mixed bag really, could be better but also could be a lot worse. So bring a rain jacket, and maybe put on the mudguards (I find the standing water is more of a nuisance than the rain itself, if ya know wha I mean!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Masala wrote: »
    Don't want to sound like an old woman.... But am starting to worry about the weather for Sat!!!!!!!!

Anyone got better access to the forecasts for sat... ???

It looks like a bit of a head wind going out with a few light showers. The head wind will carry you back after the first climb. The afternoon should be a bit drier although more rain is forecast in the evening. Temps around 16.C

In other words, perfect cycling weather! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It looks like a bit of a head wind going out with a few light showers. The head wind will carry you back after the first climb. The afternoon should be a bit drier although more rain is forecast in the evening. Temps around 16.C

In other words, perfect cycling weather! :)

At least the pollen count should be low! and you wont need sun cream! :P

Just don't forget: Arm warmers, shoe covers, spare socks (in a plastic bag), gillet and possibly a rain jacket!

Living on coast I got used to relying on WindGuru (Surfing forecast) for my cycling forecast as it is way more granular and gets quite accurate the closer you get. Here are links to all the main points on the route which will keep changing as we get closer to Saturday but will give you a good idea what we are in for.

Killarney
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=565158

Killorglin
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=246496

Caherciveen
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=411749

Waterville
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=436166

Sneem
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=151220

Kenmare
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=100449

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

powerstar wrote: »
    Hi, Can any one recommend a overnight parking please? Hostel which I am staying doesn't have parking.

Any car park should be free overnight in town centre but if you need parking for Saturday the car park on Lewis road has all day parking for a few quid..

Advertisement