Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

BailMeOut wrote: »
    pick up your tags on Saturday morning! No queuing and takes literally seconds.

If you intend starting at 6.00am, you are probably better off picking up your tags on Friday evening. In the instructions, it says that tags may be collected from 5.30am onwards, but later in the narrative, it states that they may be collected from 6.00am onwards. I don't know, which is correct.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/the-cycle/important-information/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If you intend starting at 6.00am, you are probably better off picking up your tags on Friday evening. In the instructions, it says that tags may be collected from 5.30am onwards, but later in the narrative, it states that they may be collected from 6.00am onwards. I don't know, which is correct.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/the-cycle/important-information/

Might look fishy collecting tags at 0530 when your Set off time is down for 0700!!!

Me... I don't like confrontation!!! Collecting the night before suits me better...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭EletricMan

kingdomlad wrote: »
    If you got an entry through the ROK Lottery are you to receive an email to print out and bring with you for Sign On?

Yes, mine was in spam box. From event master or something like that! Came Monday i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

mgray wrote: »
    Any car park should be free overnight in town centre but if you need parking for Saturday the car park on Lewis road has all day parking for a few quid..

There will be several free large car parks on Saturday morning where you can leave your car for entire day. They will be well marked with volunteers waving flags to direct you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

Does anyone know if any private transport options to Killarney on Friday from Galway? Bus Eireann option requires a change in Limerick and takes 5 hours all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

galwayu wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any private transport options to Killarney on Friday from Galway? Bus Eireann option requires a change in Limerick and takes 5 hours all together.

This might be useful

http://getthere.ie/galway-killarney/1-Jul

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

Thanks op. Was hoping might be a direct bus but looks like there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

The YOPPA wrote: »
    The Porterhouse have good steaks...obviously, ringing to book a table is advisable.

Thanks for the advice. They're taking walk-ins only on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 moconnell676

A friend has just pulled out & has given me his slot for the cycle.
    I know the name change deadline has passed.
    I have the acceptance slip but i see references that photo ID is needed at registration.
    Would be really disappointed to travel all the way down to be turned away at registration.

Anyone got any past experiences on needing Photo ID or it being a problem at registration?
    I can't remember if i needed it last year, but the slot i had then was in my name.

A friend has just pulled out & has given me his slot for the cycle.
    I know the name change deadline has passed.
    I have the acceptance slip but i see references that photo ID is needed at registration.
    Would be really disappointed to travel all the way down to be turned away at registration.

Anyone got any past experiences on needing Photo ID or it being a problem at registration?
    I can't remember if i needed it last year, but the slot i had then was in my name.

From email correspondence, that a friend of mine has had with the organisation, I am fairly confident, that you will have no problems.
    Ride it like you stole it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Weather on Saturday doesn't look promising. Looks like rain jackets and overshoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weather on Saturday doesn't look promising. Looks like rain jackets and overshoes!

Always think Positive! you wont get sun burnt! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

That was the exact same prediction last year and in the end, the day was fine! :)

We'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Any advise from those who have done this before...how many tubes, CO2 canisters, water bottles, bars & Gels. Particularly the last 2 as it matters how much food/water is available.

Any advise from those who have done this before...how many tubes, CO2 canisters, water bottles, bars & Gels. Particularly the last 2 as it matters how much food/water is available.

This is what I'll be carrying:
    Tubes x2
    Co2 x1 (Mini Pump x1)
    Water bottle x1
    Bars x1
    Gels - ZERO

ROK is not a race and there's no shortage of Food/water at the stops, so no need to overload your pockets. as for Gels? why would you even consider bringing gels????

The recommendation is two tubes but I've done it with one and some self adhesive patches if I needed to do another repair. But some do get punctures so be prepared in case you're unlucky

I brought a small pump and not CO2. They CO2 is heavier...

One water bottle did me and I filled up wherever I needed to. There's plenty of water and bananas/ bars at the intermediate stops in between the bigger feed stations at Cahirciveen and Kenmare. Whilst there could be changed this year, I believe these intermediates were at Glenbeigh, Waterville, the top of Coomaciste, Sneem, Molls Gap, the finish and perhaps at one or two other spots along the way. Bring your own electrolyte or energy additive for your bottle if you feel the need to.

I brought one energy bar and one gel with me and didn't need either. The larger food stops are very well stocked and equally well organised. There's plenty of food and you won't go hungry. :)

Thanks Pukka, Minipump is fine but usally can't get the tyre fully inflated.

The bottles of Lucozade Sport at Caherciveen were a nice touch last year!!

Hope for the same on Sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So what's the story with the "wave" prrinted on the slips? I'm going out with a group of mates, don't expect to break a sweat, but they all reckon you can ignore the waves and just go when you want.

Is printing the time on the slip just their attempt at breaking it up a bit?

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    This is what I'll be carrying:
    Tubes x2
    Co2 x1 (Mini Pump x1)
    Water bottle x1
    Bars x1
    Gels - ZERO

ROK is not a race and there's no shortage of Food/water at the stops, so no need to overload your pockets. as for Gels? why would you even consider bringing gels????

Pretty much spot on.
    I double up on the CO2 canisters and water bottles.
    I fill both bottles with energy drink, drink from both bottles, then at water stops, I fill bottles. It means I always have some energy drink(although well diluted) for the last run in.
    I totally agree about Gels, waste of money and leave you with an upset tummy.

I also bring a Presta to Schrader converter so I can use a garage compressed air line or foot pump. Most of the larger towns will have access to these if needed.

seamus wrote: »
    So what's the story with the "wave" prrinted on the slips? I'm going out with a group of mates, don't expect to break a sweat, but they all reckon you can ignore the waves and just go when you want.

Is printing the time on the slip just their attempt at breaking it up a bit?

Yep!

A question about the sign on and the email says New St Car Park.

Is that where the event finished last year?

And is the finish line in the same location this year as last too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Topeak harpoons are ace for this, they have a mini high pressure "sub" pump as part of the main bit and a proper pistol grip handle so getting above 100psi is pretty easy.

I took 3 tubes (it's a long spin and I hate trying to fit a patch to a tiny narrow road tube).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

A question about the sign on and the email says New St Car Park.

Is that where the event finished last year?

And is the finish line in the same location this year as last too?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

That was the exact same prediction last year and in the end, the day was fine! :)

Yup, was a slight drizzle with a gentle headwind on the out lap and glorious sunshine on the way back in.

saccades wrote: »
    Yup, was a slight drizzle with a gentle headwind on the out lap and glorious sunshine on the way back in.

Cloud and sunshine with a 30% chance of rain any given hour. Showers could be heavy. Wind 22 kmph WNW direction, so headwind on the way out.. Winds are to be light in the morning and increasing as the day progresses....which is exactly what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've been sick the last few days with cold and fatigue but been fighting it all week with lemons,pure orange , garlic , you name it I've been doing it. Feeling really good this morning . well chuffed .

Not to put a downer on things but I think weathers going to be a struggle tomorrow , wind and bad showers . have been lucky every year of my 6 so have the feeling this is going to be a bad year weather wise .

Check out Mr grumps here

• Advertisement

Not to put a downer on things but I think weathers going to be a struggle tomorrow , wind and bad showers . have been lucky every year of my 6 so have the feeling this is going to be a bad year weather wise .

Bit of a worry for me too. Coming down Molls on wet road scares the **** out of me!!!!

Advertisement