Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Looks like it will be relatively dry up until 1 pm, then it starts to rain. So maybe head away early. I'm using the winter bike tomorrow as it has mudguards (I find the standing water worse than the actual rain). Wind is going to be moderate, in your face for the first half but then will blow you home on the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Masala wrote: »
    Bit of a worry for me too. Coming down Molls on wet road scares the **** out of me!!!!

The way I've been feeling all week with the sickness if I can get to molls gap I'll be delighted ;)

Best of luck to everybody !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bit of a worry for me too. Coming down Molls on wet road scares the **** out of me!!!!

Just take it handy. Use both brakes when braking. Brake in a straight line and just roll they the bends. No bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭fillup

Getting ready to hit the road now.

I'll be in full boards kit (although by yhrf sounds of things I'll have a yellow Raincape over the jersey) & sporting a large beard

So say Hi if you see me!

Best of luck to everyone

And for the first timers, it's not that tough, once you get past the first 170k you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭EletricMan

fillup wrote: »
    once you get past the first 170k you'll be grand!

Thanks that's just motivation I needed. :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just heading off now.
    I'll be the the old fat man, with a short beard on a black Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
    I'll be wearing a red and black Giro helmet, black shorts and red top.
    Best of luck, everybody and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably be in Orwell kit myself, maybe with boards shorts. Though I might bring the boards long sleeve in case things are bit chilly tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

In killarney at the moment and it's very showery and cool, strong gusty winds. More like April temperatures. Long sleeves and rain gear I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

If anyone is travelling from the Limerick direction I'd recommend bypassing Adare..take the N20 towards Charleville (just at the end of the dual carriageway) and then cut across to newcastle west..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 saranas

First timer here.looking forward to it.the only problem is going to work tonite and then after the ring ><.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

If anyone is travelling from the Limerick direction I'd recommend bypassing Adare..take the N20 towards Charleville (just at the end of the dual carriageway) and then cut across to newcastle west..

heres another option for skipping adare https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14797133

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just registered, super smooth 5 minutes tops. Scanning this year so ideally bring a printout but there is a facility on site to printout your tickets, they can't work off of phones. . Expo is ok if you need any gels etc or a new bike :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Just registered, super smooth 5 minutes tops. Scanning this year so ideally bring a printout but there is a facility on site to printout your tickets, they can't work off of phones. . Expo is ok if you need any gels etc or a new bike :D.

Yep, no messing about. In and out in a minute. Its in the car park beside the start finish line for last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

how heavy are they on the 'Bring ID'.

Am collecting for my daughter...as she not home til 11 or so tonight and so have no ID for her. Hopefully they will accept the same Surname as some sort of proof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

how heavy are they on the 'Bring ID'.

Am collecting for my daughter...as she not home til 11 or so tonight and so have no ID for her. Hopefully they will accept the same Surname as some sort of proof!!

Friend of mine just collected my bike tag for me, no hassle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Anyone looking for an entry? Friend of ours pulled out PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just signed on. No ID requested. Friend had entry, not in his name, had no problem. In and out in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Just signed on. No ID requested. Friend had entry, not in his name, had no problem. In and out in 5 minutes.

Yes, It was very quick. Looking forward to it 2moro

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

First time doing the Ring. 7:30 moving 22.8 kph. Dreaming of a bag of salty chips

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oji

I'm behind you keep going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

First time ever doing the ROK, finished in about 7.5 hours rolling. Felt great for the first 100k, but I really struggled on the section from Sneem to Kenmare, though I think most of that was a mental thing. Buried myself going up Coomakista. I was thinking "I'm going to pay for this later, but **** it". Definitely be back next year. Oh, and didn't see a single crash (though I did see one woman make a clown out of herself trying to clip in, and another puking her ring up) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

1st ROK, just under 6hrs 30 in the saddle, around 9 hrs in total with stops, two big climbs weren't as bad as I was expecting, but struggled from end if descent of Coomakista into sneem, felt it went on forever. Road then from sneem to Kenmare wasn't too bad bar the long draw after bridge who's name I don't know.

Typical showers all morning and now sun is out. But great day and volunteers and marshals as well as mechanical support staff were very good. Def want to do that cycle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shamrocka330

Found the cycle today very well organised, all the volunteers worked exceptionally well and were in great form.

One thing that really frustrates me is the last 2km into Killarney! Why, oh why do they funnel all the cyclists onto a very narrow path?! I saw one girl fall and a number of cyclists behind her crash into her because there's no room and the surface isn't great.

A number of roads throughout the cycle are closed to cars so why can't they close the last road leading into Killarney for what is a major event? It really was chaos at times on the way in which is a shame because the event itself is extremely well run.

Also, did the organisers make Molls Gap higher this year?! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

First ROK also here , very well organised furthest I've ever cycled found Molls gap tough but the decent afterwards was worth it.
    First stop took 30 mins to get through , if I was going again I'd probably avoid that first stop . Total time 6:30ish including two stops .

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

I volunteered with the Irish Kidney Association at my 1st ROK yesterday & today. I spent 7 hours making pots of tea in Caherciveen from 6am this morning...and what an amazing few hours it was...congratulations to you all on your achievement today and enjoy your celebrations tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

3rd Ring for me today. 7 hours rolling and 8 hours in total. Started at 06.40 and apart from the first miserable wet hour enjoyed the spin. Skipped the first food stop in favour of the super valu next door. Didn't eat enough in the second half and bonked in the last 15k. The organisation was excellent as always and the volunteers were so friendly and helpful. Agree with the other posters about the last few k on the cycle track which is a recipie for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Second ROK. Another great day. The stewarding and support in terms of food, directions, encouragement etc was nothing short of awesome. Pity about the early rain and cold, but the sun shone all the way home from Coomakista. Made it under 6 hours and this year saw no crashes. the first section to Cahirciveen is still dodgy with too many cyclists being clueless about practice and etiquette of group riding. However it is all for a great cause/several great causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

aches & pains today??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭owenmul

the body isn't as bad as i thought, out for a recovery spin now in a few minutes!! hope everyone is feeling is feeling ok!! really enjoyed yesterday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

This was my 7th rok , its getting better organised every year but like a few of you have said my closest to coming off was going into Killarney on cycle track .

Great day . felt strong throughout but my time doesn't get any better any year . I'd love to give it a shot on my own some time.

Edit . 1 question , I never used strava before, mine says I did 172.5 km . it says 180 . anyone els confirm this , do I need to go back to Killarney today to finish ;)

Advertisement