Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I really enjoyed the ROK this year. Managed to get PB's on both climbs! I didn't shout at anyone and nobody shouted at me.. I just gave slower riders plenty of room and off I went. If the road ahead was blocked by riders cycling 3 or 4 abreast, I slowed and then passed them at the earliest opportunity. It's that simple. Plenty of room for all types of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Fugs!!

My first ever rok cycle and my longest ever cycle. I only started cycling 10 months ago so I set this as a goal to get fit.

I really enjoyed the day. I found the crowds a bit overwhelming at times I have to say. Having done a few sportive cycles and club rides, I found Saturday to be a totally new experience. The diversity of cyclists was huge. I had set a target of 6.5 hours but soon realised that the rok was not the place for that. It was a day for chatting to strangers, enjoying the view and having a laugh.

I ended up doing it in just over 7 hours but it was probably the nicest few hours of my life apart from the last 2 hours with crippling pain in my right knee.

Things that annoyed me were people littering. Not just energy gels (which I use myself) but all kinds of littering. The obstacle course at the end was dangerous.

Overall it was very well run and the majority of people were great. I also have to admire the people who are clearly on a path to try getting fit and loosing Weight. Clearly some people really struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't mind what speed people want to do it at - the thing that really annoyed me was people shouting at others to move to let them through. These weren't 'top' cyclists either, they were just marginally faster than the people in front of them.

I know people were all over the road, but that's the reality of the cycle and annoying yourself all day is crazy

If you want to go through, go through or around, but don't expect a parting of the waves to allow you through.

"the thing that really annoyed me"
    You're the one, that sounds annoyed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Eamonnator wrote: »
    "the thing that really annoyed me"
    You're the one, that sounds annoyed to me.

Well you'd be wrong! I had a blast of a day with a big smile on my face for 98% of the day. 2% of the day was me holding my tongue as i heard people trying to get through slower people who were doing their best.

Like most people, i hate bullies and this is what it seemed like to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Well you'd be wrong! I had a blast of a day with a big smile on my face for 98% of the day. 2% of the day was me holding my tongue as i heard people trying to get through slower people who were doing their best.

Like most people, i hate bullies and this is what it seemed like to me

But, I'm not wrong. You're the one who said that you were annoyed. In fact "really annoyed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

For the love of christ this thread every bleedin year.. Same ****e before and after!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭fillup

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    For the love of christ this thread every bleedin year.. Same ****e before and after!!
    Amen...
    Too many cyclists, too many club riders, too many Freds, eighty-five-fupping-quid to ride a public road, where's me medal, where's me cert, call that a goodie bag, and so on ad-fupping-nauseum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Is everybody Ok? My God- cyclists riding their bikes fast. You make it sound awful.
    Maybe the ROK should put a speed limit on the route to stop anybody feeling bad about being overtaken.
    5 hours for 170km+ is impressive.

Stop being smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

This was my fifth ROK. I enjoyed the day out. The positives were the food stops and people involved there great work by them, the crowd at the finish, the music on molls gap.

The negatives, the amount of people that can't cycle properly and who shouldn't cycle in these event's, the cycle lane at the end, the certs at the end, the lottery system, the charities been too greedy with the money they asked us to raise. Sorry but it had to be said. The weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Garthvader

Anyone got any links to photos of this year's event yet? Haven't seen anything online as of yet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My 6th ROK and this year cycled at end of the pack for most of the day which worked out really well. We did not start until just after 8am and while always a lot of cyclists around us it was nothing like the crowds you are in when you start much earlier. We took it very easy and finished around 5:30pm and my only negatives was the wind and rain but he sun came out in Sneem. As always really enjoyed the day and will be back next year. The enthusiasm, friendliness and professionalism of everyone involved is what makes the day and Kerry should be very proud of what they do year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

This was my first ROK, though I have done smaller sportive's. I set out at 7am and finished at 3pm with 6H45M moving time which was almost exactly what I expected. It was a bit crowded for the first half, but less so later on. I didn't have any problems at all, except for hitting several hundred "Cat's Eyes"!! I did pass quite a few people and many passed me, but any shouts were just to let people know you were passing and not to change their line, rather than telling them to get out of the way. Actually I heard more apologies than shouts and everyone seemed suitable chilled.
    It does strike me that many people are not used to cycling in groups and maybe they should be encouraged to do this as part of their training for a big cycle. Bike handling skills and etiquette are as important as knowing how to change a tyre. I did plenty "wheel sucking" which made it a lot easier and I was surprised that people are reluctant to get anyway close to the bike in front. Wheel sucking saves so much effort - just look at how the peleton works in the Tour de France.
    I was very impressed by the number of volunteers and the organisation of the whole thing. There is really not one thing that I feel warrants a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Garthvader wrote: »
    Anyone got any links to photos of this year's event yet? Haven't seen anything online as of yet....

https://www.facebook.com/SkodaIreland
    These have some up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Excellent selection there capturing the many sides of the day. Killarney Camera Club usually put up a huge lash of snaps a few days after the cycle, it just takes a while to upload them. Also there's usually a survey carried out within a week of the cycle so anyone with concerns about this year and suggestions for next year could do worse than fill that in. Hopefully the Committee will take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

This was my first ROK, though I have done smaller sportive's. I set out at 7am and finished at 3pm with 6H45M moving time which was almost exactly what I expected. It was a bit crowded for the first half, but less so later on. I didn't have any problems at all, except for hitting several hundred "Cat's Eyes"!! I did pass quite a few people and many passed me, but any shouts were just to let people know you were passing and not to change their line, rather than telling them to get out of the way. Actually I heard more apologies than shouts and everyone seemed suitable chilled.
    It does strike me that many people are not used to cycling in groups and maybe they should be encouraged to do this as part of their training for a big cycle. Bike handling skills and etiquette are as important as knowing how to change a tyre. I did plenty "wheel sucking" which made it a lot easier and I was surprised that people are reluctant to get anyway close to the bike in front. Wheel sucking saves so much effort - just look at how the peleton works in the Tour de France.
    I was very impressed by the number of volunteers and the organisation of the whole thing. There is really not one thing that I feel warrants a complaint.

I wouldn't wheel suck off a cyclist I didn't know on the ROK cycle. They can be too unpredictable. I witnessed numerous people stop suddenly in the middle of the road to put on their jackets when the first drop of rain hit them. No call, no shout, nothing. Some of them were fully decked out in club gear so I'd deduce from that it wasn't their first time group cycling. You'd come a cropper if you were cycling wheel to wheel with them.

Also when I needed to overtake anyone I gave a call to say I was on their right. A nice friendly call. I called at one stage and when overtaking a group one guy, again decked out in club gear, pulled straight out into my path without so much as a glance over his shoulder. I almost ended up in the ditch. I gave a yelp and he looked around at me and said "What the fu€k is up with you" and pedalled off!! Nice. :mad:

So it's not only inexperienced cyclists causing problems on the ROK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Some Nice photo's...

http://killarneycameraclub.ie/rok2015/index.html

Edit: Oops sorry..there photos from 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

wuzziwig wrote: »
    I wouldn't wheel suck off a cyclist I didn't know on the ROK cycle. They can be too unpredictable. I witnessed numerous people stop suddenly in the middle of the road to put on their jackets when the first drop of rain hit them. No call, no shout, nothing. Some of them were fully decked out in club gear so I'd deduce from that it wasn't their first time group cycling. You'd come a cropper if you were cycling wheel to wheel with them.

Also when I needed to overtake anyone I gave a call to say I was on their right. A nice friendly call. I called at one stage and when overtaking a group one guy, again decked out in club gear, pulled straight out into my path without so much as a glance over his shoulder. I almost ended up in the ditch. I gave a yelp and he looked around at me and said "What the fu€k is up with you" and pedalled off!! Nice. :mad:

So it's not only inexperienced cyclists causing problems on the ROK.

Part of this is that signals that were once taught in school and normally used have fallen into desuetude. I have only once in recent years seen the arm-out-straight-palm-down up-and-down vertical wave that indicates "I am preparing to stop", and seldom the normal turn signals - though I did see someone giving a correct left-turn signal the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My first ROK, second sportive.

Positives were the support from the road side, and the organisation of the food stops, and most of the event in general. Really loved the descent off molls gap.

Personally, I did find it frustrating at times with the cycling equivalent of middle lane hoggers. Also came across one or two doing ridiculous overtaking manoeuvres (and they weren't "racing" cyclists whatever they are, given they were in tracky bottoms and carrying back packs). I also found the cyclists less chatty than my previous event.

I cycled in from fossa to meet people at 6, and there was no delay starting off, which I was expecting. Don't know if that was numbers down, or the weather or what, but had been reluctant to start at the start due to reported delays other years. Fairly packed roads from fossa out, but the hill in killorgan kinda broke things up from what I could see. My moving time was 6.44, which I was delighted with. Took longer at the first stop than planned as I met someone coming in just as I was heading off. I did push on from the second stop as I could see I was on for a decent average pace - well up until the nonsense cycle lane bit anyway were there was no choice but to ease back.

I think this thread shows that if you're overtaking you can't win - complaints about passing saying nothing, complaints about letting people know you're coming. I'd always give a call of "coming through on the right" on my commute, in club spins if appropriate (say on a climb or descent where its broken up) or if just passing on a solo spin! It's not an insult, it's a courtesy call!

To be honest, not sure I'll be back. The entry process/ lottery was a balls. And maybe it is cliche, but they could've given a few nature valley bars out at registration or something (not like there was a shortage of them on the day)! I found it frustrating and even dangerous at times with the lack of road etiquette/ sense that was on display. Yes, probably could've found all that before I entered, but didn't! Not being definitive, as I'd accompany a pal down if asked, but I won't be going out of my way to do it again.

Just as a btw, my pal who i did do it with this year was pretty disappointed at it being 170. It's not like anyone isn't going to do it if they advertise it at that rather than 180! Wasn't even quite one 170 according to our Garmin's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

You could take the road for portmagee if your looking to tack on a few extra k's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

My first ROK, and second sportive.
    Left at 7:40 and did it in 6 hrs 35, happy with that.

Must give credit to all the helpers, foods stations and indeed the locals who were out giving support. No complaints from me at all.
    Sure there were plenty on the road, and sure I could have dropped the time considerably if some were "not in the way", but that's not the nature of the event.

Myself and two friends were out for a challenge and an experience, having only taken up the bikes a few mths ago (retired footballers).
    We got just that, and had a laugh doing it too.

With regards to giving a "on your right" etc shout (gentle).
    By the time I was half way around, I had 3/4 examples of guys pulling out as I passed (not looking over shoulder) with the usual corrective action taken/needed. I suspect tiredness was setting in, as the frequency of these events was rising (from what I saw) the further we got into it. Indeed I once was about to pull out and a guy gave me the on "on the right", With a "thank you" as he passed. I was not offended, or annoyed, indeed I was thankful, as it avoided me making a silly mistake.
    I took this lesson on board, and used the same if I saw someone about to pull out as I was alongside their back wheel. I do think it can be taken the wrong way, especially when tired ;) , but the secondary "thank you" makes all the difference.
    Sure there are plenty not happy with aspects but, it's impossible to keep 11,000 happy.

As for us, we enjoyed it immensely, had a laugh and chatted away to anyone open to it.

As an aside, the three of us were chatting afterwards, and mention of the next challenge arose. The Wicklow 200, came up, and the fact that one entry recently did it on a "Dublin Bike" :)
    Respect to that man !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

stackerman wrote: »
    As an aside, the three of us were chatting afterwards, and mention of the next challenge arose. The Wicklow 200, came up, and the fact that one entry recently did it on a "Dublin Bike" :)
    Respect to that man !!

Similar kudos to the two lads I saw on a high nelly (albeit with SPD-SLs!) and a Coke Zero city bike (I guess Cork or Limerick?) respectively at the top of Moll's Gap this year. Obviously the ROK is no WW200, but still takes a particular mindset to take that on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cython wrote: »
    Similar kudos to the two lads I saw on a high nelly (albeit with SPD-SLs!) and a Coke Zero city bike (I guess Cork or Limerick?) respectively at the top of Moll's Gap this year. Obviously the ROK is no WW200, but still takes a particular mindset to take that on!

Border line ridiculous going down some of those decents with the brakes on a high nelly. I've been on one once and they're a lovely machine to ride but the brakes even on the flat were almost non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Some Nice photo's...

http://killarneycameraclub.ie/rok2015/index.html

Edit: Oops sorry..there photos from 2015!

Anybody any ideas if / when 2016 pics are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Anybody any ideas if / when 2016 pics are available?

They said they would be up on 12th July on their FB page

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cython wrote:

Well I passed an older gent doing it in dress shoes, normal socks and chino shorts who didn't appear to be doing it for the added challenge. Had to do a double take they were actually doing the cycle (and they had the number on the front of the bike.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭fillup

Some great shots up there.
    I managed to find 2 of yours truly crossing the finish line in all my boards gear glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Was talking to someone in the know, they only had 7000 entries this year.........wonder why the demand was so low

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

liam7831 wrote: »
    Was talking to someone in the know, they only had 7000 entries this year.........wonder why the demand was so low

Don't know if that right....sure 6k got in on the lottery. And while the Charities were down... They must have filled min 3k of their 5k allocation. So I go for min 9k as final fig

I do reckon they won't make the €1.8m they made in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

liam7831 wrote: »

They pushed it too far. Two years ago I knew lots of people doing it. The club I'm in sent 13 or 14 people. People at work did it. Friends did it.

This year I know of two people who did it. For everyone else the cost for registration and accomodation became too much. I also hear people saying we've passed "peak cycling" and many events aren't getting the numbers they did a couple of years ago. That could be also be a factor. However I suspect compeition is a big element. Every weekend there must be at least a couple of sportives on within easy reach of every cyclist. Certainly I see lots of them popping up on facebook. And there are a lot of very good ones. Nice Routes. Well Marshalled. Good food/refreshments at the stops and at the end. Goodie bags & free jerseys etc. It's a very competitive market out there these days.

Advertisement