Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well the ROK was still oversubscribed, given me (and many others) didn't get in the lotto. I'd say the difference was that people weren't willing to pony up for the charity entries. And there must have been a lot of multiple entries in the original drawer.

Never mind other sportives around the country, there was the Hard Way Around last weekend, wasn't there on the Ring of Kerry? Looked a lot more relaxed, less manic tbh.

I think there's an element of all these style events having lots of options these days - adventure races, triathlon, the hell and back style events. So many now that they don't appear to be selling out, well certainly not as fast. This was my first year doing triathlon, and I was told you had to be on the ball to get in to a lot of events - a select few have actually sold out early on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'd agree with most of that (touts post). they pushed a good thing too far. we did it for several years, but haven't done for the last two cause it's just not worth the hassle (price increases are ridiculous but not getting into the charity/cost argument). almost every cyclist i know is the same, they've moved on.

i think their biggest problem now is they moved the main participation type from the regular cyclists to the more casual cyclist who see it as a huge endeavor, which in truth for most it probably is. Thing is though they are most likely to be the one and done crowd, and after their first one the bike probably sits in the garage untouched. and if that pool is exhausted, and you've lost the interest of the club/regular cyclists, then numbers are only going to go one way.

be interesting to see the entry fees next year. if they think numbers are down they have two choices, big raise so they still make their money from the 7k that do it, or drop prices so that they entice more people. given it's ireland, i'd strongly suspect the former

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

liam7831 wrote: »
    Was talking to someone in the know, they only had 7000 entries this year.........wonder why the demand was so low
    touts wrote: »
    They pushed it too far. Two years ago I knew lots of people doing it. The club I'm in sent 13 or 14 people. People at work did it. Friends did it.

This year I know of two people who did it.

Pure greed by the committee. They deliberately kept the number of places in the "lottery" low so that those that were unsuccessful would pay a premium for the "charity" places. It backfired spectacularly. And charities were left with loads of registrations that they couldn't shift. Many boycotted it this year out of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

tuch wrote: »
    Pure greed by the committee.

Not sure I have ever heard the word 'greed' being used for volunteering your time to collect money for charities.

Numbers were definitely a little down from the peak but this is more to do with the hype passing for this event. 2017 will hopefully be my 7th ROK and I prefer it when the numbers are between 5000 and 8000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Not sure I have ever heard the word 'greed' being used for volunteering your time to collect money for charities.

I agree with this. They may have miscalculated the trade off but they were simply trying to maximise the income raised rather than trying to fleece anyone.

I'm all for questioning the charity sector, and it is quite correct that decisions are reviewed but I think it a little rich calling them greedy.

And if, as I suspect, accommodation costs increase when the event is on, then the tourist industry needs to look at itself. Maybe some charity from them wouldn't go astray for people sighed up (maybe that is something the charity entrants could get, reducing accommodation costs) rather than fleecing the public despite the continued tax break (VAT) from the government

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And if, as I suspect, accommodation costs increase when the event is on, then the tourist industry needs to look at itself. Maybe some charity from them wouldn't go astray for people sighed up (maybe that is something the charity entrants could get, reducing accommodation costs) rather than fleecing the public despite the continued tax break (VAT) from the government

Great idea but will never happen. In 2015 the hotel I stayed in was 300 for 2 nights b+b. On checking out I asked about booking for this year, no problem she said that'll be 350. Eh no thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't know - I personally feel there's a fair amount of committee patting themselves on the back on facebook and the like (compared to some other events/ charities I follow anyway). Obviously they put in time, but without punters to pony up the money, there won't be much raised.

And in fairness to the tourist industry - I'm pretty sure all the sambo's were marked as being sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce? Our accomodation was at the posted rate, and we weren't any more ripped off than any other tourist in Killarney!

Anyway, I must unfollow this thread as I keep getting sucked in, when I'm not really planning on doing this event ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

tuch wrote:
    Pure greed by the committee. They deliberately kept the number of places in the "lottery" low so that those that were unsuccessful would pay a premium for the "charity" places. It backfired spectacularly. And charities were left with loads of registrations that they couldn't shift. Many boycotted it this year out of principle.

The Charity I'm involved with filled all our registrations & could have filled more...we didn't look for money up front or demand a minimum amount...check your facts about the charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Macy0161 wrote: »

And in fairness to the tourist industry - I'm pretty sure all the sambo's were marked as being sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce? Our accomodation was at the posted rate, and we weren't any more ripped off than any other tourist in Killarney!

True, I suppose what I meant was that the industry, and it is not just Killarney of the ROK weekend, is back to raising their prices around big events. Nwo nothing wrong with that (I have a bit of an issue with it as they continue to enjoy the tax break offered by the public but that is another issue) but it was more in the light of the poster claiming that it was greed and I was pointing out that there are many better examples of greed surrounding the event than the organising committee.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    they were simply trying to maximise the income raised rather than trying to fleece anyone.

They were trying to maximise the income by fleecing cyclists.
    The YOPPA wrote: »
    The Charity I'm involved with filled all our registrations & could have filled more...we didn't look for money up front or demand a minimum amount...check your facts about the charities.

Very surprised at that. The committee gave clear and public instructions to the charities to demand a minimum of €170.
    BailMeOut wrote: »

The voluntary committee did manage to spend over €190,000 in 2015 on "admin" though. And a large proportion of the rest of money raised seems to have gone on construction projects with little oversight on the awarding of contracts. Not taking away from the volunteers on the ground who gave their time without reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Just planning out my year for 2017 and wondering if anyone knows the 2017 date? Will it be 1st or 8th July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I'd go with the first. It's always the first Saturday in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just planning out my year for 2017 and wondering if anyone knows the 2017 date? Will it be 1st or 8th July

from their FAQ
    When is the cycle?
    The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is always on the first Saturday in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

yes...always 1st Sat in July.

However... there is lobby to get it moved as it clashing with Munster Final and there is not enough rooms for both events. Think the GAA has preference and so the ROK will have to be the event to move.

No skin of my nose...would prefer it latter in July as at least you might be guaranteed sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Masala wrote: »
    yes...always 1st Sat in July.

However... there is lobby to get it moved as it clashing with Munster Final and there is not enough rooms for both events. Think the GAA has preference and so the ROK will have to be the event to move.

No skin of my nose...would prefer it latter in July as at least you might be guaranteed sunshine!

I have my B&B booked for first weekend in July. If they switch R.o.K.,will I have to go to the Munster Final,whatever that is?

2016 figures just released. Amount raised down by a staggering €154,000. And reputation of event severely tarnished as a result of price gouging by committee.

tuch wrote: »
    2016 figures just released. Amount raised down by a staggering €154,000. And reputation of event severely tarnished as a result of price gouging by committee.

Have you a link, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Have you a link, please?

Google

I have my B&B booked for first weekend in July. If they switch R.o.K.,will I have to go to the Munster Final,whatever that is?

annual boxing match between cork and kerry.

not surprised in the slightest at the take being down. whether or not people beleive it is intentional fleecing,no doubting the decisions and steps taken by the committee are not working and are actually making things worse. need to act now , before the damage is permenant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Have you a link, please?

This year's announcement :https://m.facebook.com/RingofKerryCharityCycle/photos/a.142110845965186.1073741828.142078765968394/678872778955654/?type=3

Don't have a link for last year's due to being on phone with limited clipboard but scrolling back on the page will give that it was €1,890,820, which puts that post as being accurate in the figures quoted. Obviously any reasons for the drop, even if they were given by the organizers, would be speculative.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Google

It was really a link to the bit about the reputation of the event being severely tarnished as a result of price gouging by committee, that I was looking for.

It was really a link to the bit about the reputation of the event being severely tarnished as a result of price gouging by committee, that I was looking for.

would a link to this thread do? go back and read previous threads from previous years, there was always giving out, but this year was a very different tone. added to that i know of 2 or 3 clubs that used this as an annual event but have stopped.

i don't think the overall reputation of the event is tarnished, but i think it has been within certain circles, and thats among the regular cycling community, which is their long term customer base.

to be fair, from your question i took it you were looking for the figures link as well

mossym wrote: »
    would a link to this thread do? go back and read previous threads from previous years, there was always giving out, but this year was a very different tone. added to that i know of 2 or 3 clubs that used this as an annual event but have stopped.

i don't think the overall reputation of the event is tarnished, but i think it has been within certain circles, and thats among the regular cycling community, which is their long term customer base.

to be fair, from your question i took it you were looking for the figures link as well

I thought from the post, that there were NEW revelations about the reputation of the event being severely tarnished.

Advertisement