Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Too expensive to enter @ €70 - Drop it to €50 for people travelling from other counties
    Hotels and B&B's ride everyone for that weekend - Allow a later start/finish for people who could drive there instead of staying

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

So the annual Ring of Kerry whinge has started early this year. For those of you who dont want to risk losing your 10euro to charity,DONT ENTER. If you think 85euro entry is too much, DONT ENTER. Too dangerous,DONT ENTER. Too many cyclists,DONT ENTER.Too many faster/slower cyclists,DONT ENTER. The RoK is not compulsory. You dont have to do it. There is so much negativity on these pages. Stay at home and leave the 11000 places to those that will appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

trav1963 wrote: »
    So the annual Ring of Kerry whinge has started early this year. For those of you who dont want to risk losing your 10euro to charity,DONT ENTER. If you think 85euro entry is too much, DONT ENTER. Too dangerous,DONT ENTER. Too many cyclists,DONT ENTER.Too many faster/slower cyclists,DONT ENTER. The RoK is not compulsory. You dont have to do it. There is so much negativity on these pages. Stay at home and leave the 11000 places to those that will appreciate them.

If you don't like those threads, DON'T ENTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

trav1963 wrote: »
    So the annual Ring of Kerry whinge has started early this year....
    The thread title was seeking opinions, thoughts etc.

...and it's December, hardly 'early' this year!

mamax wrote: »
    Too expensive to enter @ €70 - Drop it to €50 for people travelling from other counties...
    Why on earth would they do that? If the can sell 11,000+ entries at €85, why would they lower the price? It wouldn't make any sense. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

If you don't like those threads, DON'T ENTER.

Stop Whinging..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Safe to assume the following
    • The cycle will take place
    • The price will not change
    • It will sell out everyone will not get an entry
    • It's open to everyone from beginner to pro
    • If you don't train for it you will not enjoy it as much as if you had trained
    • Yes the hotels are expensive but some bargains will pop up closer to the date by people cancelling after not getting a spot etc.
    • It's an enjoyable cycle and one every cyclist should do once
    • There are plenty more sportives to do you're fighting the tide trying to change the constants in this one
    • Yes sections of the road are monitored by security/Gardaí so you will be stopped by security if you try cycle without an entry

Maybe this thread should turn to more helpful advice/questions

The above are a constant and will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Safe to assume the following

[*]Yes sections of the road are monitored by security/Gardaí so you will be stopped by security if you try cycle without an entry

How is this possible? I thought the roads were not closed for the event so how can they stop people cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How is this possible? I thought the roads were not closed for the event so how can they stop people cycling?

There were 2 or 3 checkpoints this year, they used the metal crowd control barriers to form access points through. If you didn't have your id card on the front of your bike you didnt get through.
    The checkpoints weren't in towns so if you wanted to "go around" them you would have some trek to do so.

brianomc wrote: »
    There were 2 or 3 checkpoints this year, they used the metal crowd control barriers to form access points through. If you didn't have your id card on the front of your bike you didnt get through.
    The checkpoints weren't in towns so if you wanted to "go around" them you would have some trek to do so.

Again, how is this possible? They are effectively closing the roads then are they not? How do locals go about that day?

I doubt the gardai are wasting resources checking if people have paid for a charity event and the security company have no right to stop anybody on a public road.

Or am I mistaken and the roads are closed? I thought they weren't.

If they close the roads then fine, I'm not saying they can't do that but if the roads are closed then the numbers doing the event can be bigger

• Advertisement

Again, how is this possible? They are effectively closing the roads then are they not? How do locals go about that day?

I doubt the gardai are wasting resources checking if people have paid for a charity event and the security company have no right to stop anybody on a public road.

Or am I mistaken and the roads are closed? I thought they weren't.

If they close the roads then fine, I'm not saying they can't do that but if the roads are closed then the numbers doing the event can be bigger

You are mistaken. As I said fighting the tide.

I'm not fighting anything, I'm merely asking the question. I understand that you know everything but since this is a discussion forum that's what I am engaging in.

What I find strange is that certain parts of the roads are closed which would seem to be more in the interests of ensuring that only those who paid do the event rather than safety. Is it really the gardai patrolling these barriers or just the security?

If the garadi are doing it then the road is closed and I don't see why this cannot be done across the route. If its just security then I doubt very much they can legally stop anybody actually going through them.

Why have only parts of the route closed? Surely from a safety, and increasing the numbers, point of view that at the very least rolling closures are the best way which would double the road space available.

I'm not argueing or whether they should have the checkpoints, people should pay and I have no problem with anybody trying to cheapo their way in being turfed off. The issue is road closures. With the popularity of the event road closures would serve as enabling more participants and also make it safer.

<snip>
    <snip> but seeing as how you mention it yes it is a discussion forum and you will find that this has been done to death year on year if you use the search function you'll find all the answers you're looking for.

<snip>

Mod Note: Attack the post not the poster

95% of the roads are open. But I think they advertise that some road closures are in place. And "some" is all they need to prevent you doing the full loop.

Found this
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,11027,en.html

Sneem to Molls Gap is closed for most of the day. If you want to get there at a time when its not closed then you wont have much company with you which makes the day what it is.

What I find strange is that certain parts of the roads are closed which would seem to be more in the interests of ensuring that only those who paid do the event rather than safety. Is it really the gardai patrolling these barriers or just the security?

If the garadi are doing it then the road is closed and I don't see why this cannot be done across the route. If its just security then I doubt very much they can legally stop anybody actually going through them.

Why have only parts of the route closed? Surely from a safety, and increasing the numbers, point of view that at the very least rolling closures are the best way which would double the road space available.

I wouldnt think its for safety at all (directly anyway). Of course they only want the people who paid their money to use the roads they paid to have closed. The bonus that people cant do the whole route for free because of the selective road closures just means that they can keep the number cycling to a level that they and the Gardai feel is a safe number.

If the roads were open, and 25k turned up it could be madness and a licence for future years could be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

They normally have 2 points where they can stop cyclist who do not have the appropriate RofK sticker:
    1. out the road out of Killarney around the Liebherr factory (which is at the start of the cycle for most people)
    2 out of the road from Kenmare on the way to Molls, which is heading for the 'home straight' for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

youtheman wrote: »
    They normally have 2 points where they can stop cyclist who do not have the appropriate RofK sticker:
    1. out the road out of Killarney around the Liebherr factory (which is at the start of the cycle for most people)
    2 out of the road from Kenmare on the way to Molls, which is heading for the 'home straight' for most people.

I have also been checked just before the bridge in Killorglin.

brianomc wrote: »
    I wouldnt think its for safety at all (directly anyway). Of course they only want the people who paid their money to use the roads they paid to have closed. The bonus that people cant do the whole route for free because of the selective road closures just means that they can keep the number cycling to a level that they and the Gardai feel is a safe number.

If the roads were open, and 25k turned up it could be madness and a licence for future years could be refused.

Ok, I think I see the issue. I am not argueing that the roads shouldn't be closed or that people should be stopped without a ticket, I am in fact saying that they should look to increase the road closures to increase the level of participation.

The main issue with ROK, and the reason for the lottery, is that it is too popular (a nice problem to have). Instead of coming up with ways to limit the numbers they should be looking at ways to increase the numbers. One way is to close the roads. If they can do it for monetary reasons then surely they can look at doing it to increase the numbers.

It goes back to taking the event to the next level.. They have hit on something here, 11k is amazing and we should be looking to maximise the event in order to A) maximise the fundraising and B) to maximise the potential tourist money

....It goes back to taking the event to the next level.. They have hit on something here, 11k is amazing and we should be looking to maximise the event in order to A) maximise the fundraising and B) to maximise the potential tourist money
    I'd imagine that they would have difficulty logistically catering for any more numbers. I presume the road closure orders are subject to KCC conditions bearing in mind that people are entitled to officially object. (Think of the farming community along the route who, if the weather is good, may need the opportunity to get silage in). Gardai are probably are anxious to get the event over with each year. Larger numbers would mean the possibility of even more people out there at all hours making it a very long day for all the volunteers involved.

Regarding tourism revenue - it's a double edged sword. Other tourists not involved in the ROK may simply avoid the area for that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Does anyone know how many slots will be available in the lottery. I assume that the charities themselves will want a few thousand especially as demand will likely be high on them as they will be selling the tickets AFTER the online allocation has filled up. Throw in this buddy system (where if one gets drawn the other also gets a slot) and I am starting to suspect the odds on getting a ticket could be quite high. Say there are only half the slots (5,500) in the lottery and over 20,000 enter that's just a 1 in 4 chance of getting a slot.

Can anyone confirm the number of slots?

• Advertisement

Sure don't worry about that

lottery1_big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Registration for the Lottery opened this morning.......and......... yes you guessed it..........

The Eventmaster website has crashed.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

got two lottery entries this morning with no problems. If I now win and get two places for my 6th ROK I will think this is the best idea ever otherwise will be quite annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Entered, not fond of the paying to enter the lottery, but this would be my first ROK if I am succesfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Hi guys,

Got some great advice re buying my first bike a while ago and have really gotten into it in the last few months so much so that I've signed up to the ring of Kerry lottery this year.

Have I left it too late to book accommodation now or where would ye look? I've been on hotels.com and Killarney looks booked out that weekend bar really expensive places. I assume people book in advance and then cancel if they have no luck with the lottery. Silly me wasn't thinking ahead. Should I just knock it on the head this year and be more prepared next?

Also, what are the main tips people who've done it in previous years would give a newbie like me?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Try air bnb. Unfortunately the hotels and B&Bs know this is abit of a cash cow for them this time of the year. We booked alittle b&b about 2km from the startline. was about 80 a night for room, around April last year (I'll pm their name). I would have thought at this time of the year you'd still get something. If you want one of the more popular hotels it's probably too late but you should get a b&b or guesthouse at this stage.

I just cancelled a twin room in Scotts hotel from booking.com if you want to try there. It was €350 for the Friday and the Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The yerras in Kerry fairly know how to charge for a room, I'll give them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Nominated Charities announced, from The RoK Face book page.
    We are delighted to announce, and equally proud, that the nominated charities for the 2016 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle are South West Counselling Services in Killarney, St Joseph's Nursing Home in Killorglin, Aras Mhuire in Listowel, St. Ita's & St Joseph's Post Primary Special School in Tralee, Pieta House, Preventing Suicide and Self Harm (Kerry), the Kerry branch of the Irish Kidney Association, RecoveryHaven Kerry Cancer Support House, St. Francis Special School in Beaufort, Derrynane Inshore Rescue, and Talbot Grove in Castleisland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Does anyone know how long after the lottery closes it'll take to find out if we got a place?

Advertisement