Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Any idea of what Charities gonna charge... Anyone remember that one from last year demanding €200 minimum!!! Screwed over some poor Limerick club by offloading a significant number of places for €200 each up front...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Pieta House emailed me a couple of days ago offering me a place if I undertook to raise €200. I accepted as it's the only charity I would ask people outside of Kerry to donate money to.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

From what we are hearing charities have been told to look for a minimum of €170 / €200 per cyclist they register.

veetwin wrote: »
    Pieta House emailed me a couple of days ago offering me a place if I undertook to raise €200. I accepted as it's the only charity I would ask people outside of Kerry to donate money to.

Jaysus... That's cruel money. Wife and myself planning to do it this year...€400 to cycle is a non starter.

Am in the lottery... And will go at €85 x 2 = €170 but won't bother at €170-€200 a pop. This event is gonna kill itself off if it keeps sticking to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Masala wrote: »
    Jaysus... That's cruel money. Wife and myself planning to do it this year...€400 to cycle is a non starter.

Am in the lottery... And will go at €85 x 2 = €170 but won't bother at €170-€200 a pop. This event is gonna kill itself off if it keeps sticking to cyclists.

Same here.
    I wouldn't mind, but I booked my B+B, before last year's event, for this year, and got it for €40 per night per person, 200metres from Start/Finish.

• Advertisement

The event is a charity event organised with the sole purpose of raising money for local charities. It is very good at that and has gotten more and more successful every year.

There are plenty of cycling events up and down the country every weekend that costs pennies to enter. The ROK is free to cycle 364 days per year. One this one day a massive amount of organisation is needed to cater for the numbers who want to cycle it. They are perfectly entitled to raise as much money as they can.

The event is a charity event organised with the sole purpose of raising money for local charities. It is very good at that and has gotten more and more successful every year.

There are plenty of cycling events up and down the country every weekend that costs pennies to enter. The ROK is free to cycle 364 days per year. One this one day a massive amount of organisation is needed to cater for the numbers who want to cycle it. They are perfectly entitled to raise as much money as they can.

I agree they are entitled to.. And best of luck to them.

But no one likes to see a product sold for €85 by one seller and €200 for same product by a subsidiary. There is a greed slipping in to the event and what needs to happen (in next 3-5 years) is a conscious effort by the cycling community to give this event a skip some year. A loss of 2,000 to 3,000 cyclist would put a major hole in funds raised even with everyone else paying €200 a pop. And the loss to Killarney and surrounds would also be felt. The competition of equilivant events is starting to be recognised by the cycling community and the ROK is no longer looked on the jewel of cycling days out.

I don't know if it was ever the jewel of cycling events. A huge amount of serious cyclists abandoned the event a long time ago. It's not a great route, it's overcrowded, the food is bad and takes a long time to get it and some would say it's downright dangerous with the number of inexperienced cyclists taking part.

But to say they are selling a product is missing the point. They are fundraising. You can chose not to raise funds and pay a big entry fee. Or you can choose to raise a certain amount of funds and pay no entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I don't know if it was ever the jewel of cycling events. A huge amount of serious cyclists abandoned the event a long time ago. It's not a great route, it's overcrowded, the food is bad and takes a long time to get it and some would say it's downright dangerous with the number of inexperienced cyclists taking part.

But to say they are selling a product is missing the point. They are fundraising. You can chose not to raise funds and pay a big entry fee. Or you can choose to raise a certain amount of funds and pay no entry fee.

I went to food stop and was in and out and back on road in around 15 mins, having done it 4 times over 7 years I thought this years event was the best I'd done .

I left Killarney at 6 and didn't have a problem with congestion, food stop . I thought it was a cracking day .

I went to food stop and was in and out and back on road in around 15 mins, having done it 4 times over 7 years I thought this years event was the best I'd done .

I left Killarney at 6 and didn't have a problem with congestion, food stop . I thought it was a cracking day .

No don't get me wrong, I think it's a great event and am signed up for my third ROK in a row this year. I skipped the first food stop least year and got a coffee and sandwich at the supermarket next door. The one in Kenmare was grand. The congestion on the road doesn't bother me either.

My point is despite the congestion and other issues the event is getting stronger and stronger. The point is the event is organised with the sole purpose of raising funds for charity. We the cyclists are not customers entitled to this or that. We are voluntary participants who either chose to pay an entry fee or raise money for a particular charity. The event is over subscribed so they can afford to up the prices. Lads who go onto threads like this moaning about costs or congestion or bad organisation seem to forget this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think overall the event has become a victim of it's own success and the huge increase in cycling probably due in part to the Bike To Work scheme.

I did this in 2008, 2009 and 2011. Called it quits after 2011 as I could see it getting more and more dangerous. In 2008, I think about 2500 started it and it was possible to turn up on the day and complete the cycle with no need to pay an entry fee. And 2500 is about the right number for the roads around the Ring I think. I was never on my own and the road was never badly congested and it never felt dangerous. 2011 felt a bit more like survival than enjoyment.

I think a lottery is the correct way to deal with supply and demand. I think it's a bit much for them to ask for 10 euro entry fee for the lottery which you don't get back if you don't win, but do if you win (you don't get your ticket money back off the Lotto if you win, for example). The lottery should be free to enter or everyone should not get their 10 euro back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The lottery should be free to enter or everyone should not get their 10 euro back.

That would make things way worse as half the country would apply meaning your chance of getting a place would be dramatically reduced. The lottery in this situation only works if there is a fee. That plus they need to know that the winners are highly likely to take a place and actually do the event.

I hope to do my 6th ROK this year. I do lots of other more serious events but the ROK is still the most enjoyable day out. It is quite easy, you are never cycling by yourself, you are very well fed and the main reason is the scenery and having access to ring with no cars of buses. Try cycling the ROK in the summer any other day and it sucks. Well worth then €85 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm really *baffled* at people who object at raising money for worthy charities for an event like this which is obviously a charity & fundraising event. Im told its vital for the charities in question and is by miles the biggest fundraising event in Munster every year now..

If you don't want to do it, and/or you are some kind of cycling snob who does not want to do an event which has become popular. Then go down and do the ring any other weekend, dont do this event. Simple! Maybe do the event which goes the other way and I'm told is far more difficult and thus smaller in terms of people..

I got 70km into the event last year before making ****e of my shoulder and wrist [and in the process the amount of money I raised for Console jumped from around 300 quid to over a grand, as I got sympathy money!]. I do hope to do it again this year [but avoiding the trip to Tralee General, ideally :)] - I do have a couple of the charities announced last week in mind and can't wait to help raise them some money...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

I'm really *baffled* at people who object at raising money for worthy charities for an event like this which is obviously a charity & fundraising event. Im told its vital for the charities in question and is by miles the biggest fundraising event in Munster every year now..

If you don't want to do it, and/or you are some kind of cycling snob who does not want to do an event which has become popular. Then go down and do the ring any other weekend, dont do this event. Simple! Maybe do the event which goes the other way and I'm told is far more difficult and thus smaller in terms of people..

I got 70km into the event last year before making ****e of my shoulder and wrist [and in the process the amount of money I raised for Console jumped from around 300 quid to over a grand, as I got sympathy money!]. I do hope to do it again this year [but avoiding the trip to Tralee General, ideally :)] - I do have a couple of the charities announced last week in mind and can't wait to help raise them some money...

I don't think anyone has any problem supporting charity. What people are complaining about is the touting of tickets by the charities and the rampant bad value around the whole event that weekend. To charge €170 for a ticket with a face value of €85 is a bit much considering €85 already makes it the most expensive "charity" event in the country. And compared to many of the other big events (e.g. the An Post or Skoda events) you aren't really getting anything extra that makes it worth €85 let alone €170. They all have food stops, and marshals on junctions all day, and a good atmosphere at the finish. All for a fraction of the price the ROK are now charging. And in many cases you get a free jersey or gillet or something as a thank you. All you get from the ROK as a thank you is an e-mail asking you to BUY a jersey or bottle.

It's not fair to accuse people of not wanting to support charity. Most of us will be taking part in other sportives priced at €15-€20 a couple of times a month. Over the year we will probably spend far more on other charity events than on the ROK weekend. However there is an element of rampant inflation and increasing bad value about the Ring of Kerry that is turning a lot of people off the event. They are fast killing the golden goose. I know a lot of people who are saying they will skip the ROK this year and do the Ring of Beara or the Rebel Tour instead this year. In the short term madness of hitting the €2million raised in one year target the organisers of the ROK are doing long term damage to their event.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

touts wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has any problem supporting charity. What people are complaining about is the touting of tickets by the charities and the rampant bad value around the whole event that weekend. To charge €170 for a ticket with a face value of €85 is a bit much considering €85 already makes it the most expensive "charity" event in the country. And compared to many of the other big events (e.g. the An Post or Skoda events) you aren't really getting anything extra that makes it worth €85 let alone €170. They all have food stops, and marshals on junctions all day, and a good atmosphere at the finish. All for a fraction of the price the ROK are now charging. And in many cases you get a free jersey or gillet or something as a thank you. All you get from the ROK as a thank you is an e-mail asking you to BUY a jersey or bottle.

It's not fair to accuse people of not wanting to support charity. Most of us will be taking part in other sportives priced at €15-€20 a couple of times a month. Over the year we will probably spend far more on other charity events than on the ROK weekend. However there is an element of rampant inflation and increasing bad value about the Ring of Kerry that is turning a lot of people off the event. They are fast killing the golden goose. I know a lot of people who are saying they will skip the ROK this year and do the Ring of Beara or the Rebel Tour instead this year. In the short term madness of hitting the €2million raised in one year target the organisers of the ROK are doing long term damage to their event.

I've never done the ROK but entered the lottery this year.

All I've heard everywhere since is negativity about it with the points above being repeated everywhere.

Bit the bullet last night and registered for Ring of Beara and got affordable accomodation without problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

...Most of us will be taking part in other sportives priced at €15-€20 a couple of times a month. Over the year we will probably spend far more on other charity events than on the ROK weekend.....I know a lot of people who are saying they will skip the ROK this year ...
    So a local race with a few hundred people paying 20 or 30 quid, of which maybe 10 or 20 quid goes to the charity is great, they make a few grand. But it's not huge use for a charity who want to make capital investment and build something in munster or upgrade local services will it?

Plus, the fact the RoK is growing year on year, and in a few week's we will have folks here who entered via the lottery and not been successful. I would actually argue that the target market for the RoK is not people who do many races a summer, the hardcore cyclists. It's folks like me and my mates, who do the odd spin but have zero interest outside a few social events. We turn it into a soclal weekend in Killarney. The simple fact is that there are rather more of us than you :P

Look at the folks doing the RoK, on a random mix of bikes, many folks in gear from Lidl and Aldi - its simply not aimed at people who have a bike worth more than my car. That is not how you make serious money for worthy charities, that is done via mass market appeal.

niallo32 wrote: »
    All I've heard everywhere since is negativity about it with the points above being repeated everywhere.

Assuming you get a place and do your first ROK this year I challenge you to try find a single person on the day itself saying anything negative about the event. All you see are happy cyclists, organizers and locals and everyone enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

touts wrote: »
    ... All for a fraction of the price the ROK are now charging....
    You're not comparing like with like. That's a bit like comparing the entry fee to you local GAA club tie with the entry fee to an all Ireland final at Croke Park. The reason prices are lower at other sportives is to encourage entries. The ROK don't have that problem as it's constantly over-subscribed. They would be foolish to charge less when there is demand and the opportunity to raise much needed funds for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Assuming you get a place and do your first ROK this year I challenge you to try find a single person on the day itself saying anything negative about the event. All you see are happy cyclists, organizers and locals and everyone enjoying themselves.

I'm not sure I'll take the place if I get it but I've no doubt you're right.

My issue is the price gouging from hotels & the lottery itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ah lads lighten up its not compulsory, everyone knows the hotels will be more expensive and its bout a ton to enter. Hotels are expensive anywhere you go when there are concerts/sporting event's on etc.. Its supply and demand, simples. No need to keep whinging. it all been said before on the threads from the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭fillup

Place secured
    B&B booked.

Looking forward to my 2nd RoK - a lovely spin with even lovelier company around some of the best country in all of creation.

Worth every penny and I'll be raising well over the €85 reg fee for a great charity.

Now quit yer b1tchin and either get on yer bike or jog on.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Ah lads lighten up its not compulsory, everyone knows the hotels will be more expensive and its bout a ton to enter. Hotels are expensive anywhere you go when there are concerts/sporting event's on etc.. Its supply and demand, simples. No need to keep whinging. it all been said before on the threads from the last few years.

Have another read of the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Have another read of the thread title.

Eamo, Attack the post not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

fillup wrote: »

Worth every penny and I'll be raising well over the €85 reg fee for a great charity.

Now quit yer b1tchin and either get on yer bike or jog on.

People are allowed complain about events. They'll get the guts of 11,000 people in July and the vast vast majority will enjoy it. I presume the organisers of the ROK have plenty thick enjoy skin to handle the few complaints that come naturally with organising an event of this size. They've done a great job over the years and have problems that most event organisers would love to have.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Eamo, Attack the post not the poster

Lia, sorry you took offence. Apologies for the attack.
    No defence, I know, but it was a puny attack.
    No offence intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭spookwoman

BailMeOut wrote: »
    niallo32 wrote: »

First time I did it was last year and will be the last especially with the 10 lottery. 85 for cycle then you have the local businesses pushing prices up not to mention the price of accommodation on top of that.
    I was giving out on the day of the event about the food, last year was awful! You couldn't get a plain sandwich without some sort of gunk on it. At the last stop there were green ham sandwiches which could have given someone food poisoning. The stops were grotty, very few toilets and always queues a mile long for them. The organizers keep going on about how much they raised, well they didn't raise the money it was the people taking part. I'd say they have bitten the hand that feeds them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well spook woman I think you're very much in the minority there. Year after year the Ring of Kerry is over subscribed. I'm not saying it's perfect but for the vast majority of participants it's a positive experience, many cyclists have completed the Ring on multiple occasions and indeed it's through word of mouth that it has gained in popularity. Any year there are issues the organisers take note and they are usually rectified for the following years cycle. As regards the registration lottery I agree that if you don't attain a place you're fee should be refunded but people knew this from the get go and made their choice.

Over on their Facebook someone has been advised by one of the charities that their minimum is €250. Wow..... If people have that kind of money to spend on a cycle application we must definitely out of the recession

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Over on their Facebook someone has been advised by one of the charities that their minimum is €250. Wow..... If people have that kind of money to spend on a cycle application we must definitely out of the recession

The charity is asking you to raise a minimum of €250 for the charity, of which €85 goes to ROK (which then goes to Charity).

Obviously if a person is so minded then could simply give all the money themselves but it is meant that you fundraise the money.

The charity knows this is an oversubscribed event so are trying to maximise their income. If they let the entries away for only €85 they might end up with no additional income. This way they are guarantied at least €165 per entrant and hopefully more.

They really should start doing this with concert/match tickets. Instead of U2 tickets or whatever being resold for €1000 to someone, the charities should buy a bunch and sell them off for €200. Thats OT though

• Advertisement

As regards the registration lottery I agree that if you don't attain a place you're fee should be refunded but people knew this from the get go and made their choice.

This cannot work as if there was no charge to enter the lottery then the applications would be through the roof as everyone would apply resulting in the odds of getting place greatly diminished and then the uptake on the winning entries would also be low. If you are going to do a lottery you have to charge.

IMO, I am convinced that the lottery will be under subscribed and 100% of applicants will get a place. There is not enough publicity being done about it and at the end of the month all the remaining spots will be given to then charities. That's just my theory though!

Advertisement