Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

BailMeOut wrote: »
    This cannot work as if there was no charge to enter the lottery then the applications would be through the roof as everyone would apply resulting in the odds of getting place greatly diminished and then the uptake on the winning entries would also be low. If you are going to do a lottery you have to charge.

If you have a charge then it should be just that - a charge. It's very unfair that if you don't win you get nothing back, but if you do win then you get the 10 euro knocked off the entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

If you have a charge then it should be just that - a charge. It's very unfair that if you don't win you get nothing back, but if you do win then you get the 10 euro knocked off the entry fee.

but can't you see how it is not possible to do this, an open free lottery would simply not work? Regardless watch this space - everyone who applied and paid €10 will get a place (IMO!).

but can't you see how it is not possible to do this, an open free lottery would simply not work?

I'm not saying it should be free, I actually agree there should be a charge to prevent timewasters - I'm saying the charge should be applied equally. If you win, it should be 85 to enter and not 75.

For example, if you win a prize in the Lotto, you don't get your ticket money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Regardless watch this space - everyone who applied and paid €10 will get a place (IMO!).

Can't see that myself!! I reckon there is only 6000 places in the dip.. And there will be at least 8000 on the ball at the moment applying. Could be 10000 applying... Who knows.

In this case... I hope I am wrong and you are right!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

For lotteries for big city marathon, you give your payment details when entering. If you are successful you are charged the full entry fee x amount of days after your entry is confirmed, if you are unsuccessful there is no charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

For what it's worth..
    I've done this cycle for several years and really enjoyed it.
    However the event, accomm, food & travel have got increasingly expensive, which as it was for charity & good fun, I continued each year.
    Sadly I feel that there is now a element of exploitation of this event creeping in (some may call it greed?) due to it's previous sucess and the final straw for me is this year's €10 fee just to enter a lottery, which you may or may not get an entry.
    Sadly that is the last straw for me, as out of principle I'm not willing to stretch my generosity any further where I feel exploited. Yes it's for charity but it's a massively expensive weekend all in and for that cost I could and will enter several other charity events & spread my donations around.
    Yes, it's supply & demand and good luck to the organisors & Killarney, as I'm sure it will fill out again...
    BUT eventually the bubble may burst, as peoples generosity gets pushed to the limit.. although I hope that never happens...
    Sadly I cancelled my accom in Killarney this week and I will miss the criac that weekend but I cannot do an event where I feel my generosity is being exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I think there is still a huge market there for people that do the odd sportive in a year and therefore are willing to spend the cash on the weekend, to be fair it is a nice opportunity to spend a weekend in Killarney and have a few pints. For many, it is the one and only sportive of this distance they will do in a year.

I'm planning to do alot more cycles this year and won't be taking part as it's just too costly when I consider all the other cycles I want to do. Enjoyed each of the years I've done it, probably will do it again sometime in the future when I'm back to 1-2 sportifs a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have signed up for Conemara. 40eur with a jersey included. Hopefully no packed roads and an easy going day.

A crowded road and queues for everything has no appeal to me but others love big draw events like that.

The charities are taking the piss but looks like the demand will fall off this year. Plenty other events out there that are more than adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I am in for the lottery, it will be my first time doing the ROK if I am successful, the people I was going to do it with have done it the last few years, have decided that they are going to skip it this year, and are doing the Beara one instead,

I plan to do both this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Check your e-mail folks The RoK comittee has addressed a lot of the concerns mentioned here in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Just read the email..... Not impressed. Nothing new there that we didn't know... Still can't justift to me why the fee is €170 a person is being applied. Don't know why they reference €170 when it is public knowledge that tge fee is €200.

There wil be further pressure later in season when the charities are left with spare tickets they can't shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

The charity I am cycling for asked for a minimum 170euro fundraiser. Which is fair enough. If you read the email it explains why they put this figure on it.a percentage of last year's cards have not been returned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Just saw the comment a former ROK cyclist posted on FB, about his displeasure regarding the rising costs of entering this event and it's received over 950 "Likes" ..
    That's a lot of angry cyclists.....
    Hence ROK commitee's lengthy reply...
    But I agree, they still havn't justfied the charges, in comparison to so many other great charity events around Ireland, less than half the price...

Each year I found it harder & harder to get sponsored and for the charities outside our county, which family and friends couldn't relate to...
    Last year I paid it all myself and didn't dare ask anyone to sponsor me.
    And now we're expected to buy a €10 lottery ticket for a chance to get entry after which we must pay a minimum of €75 upwards.. and if we don't get a place, your €10 is not refunded.
    Then there are a added costs of somewhere to stay (not cheap that weekend) travel and meals etc...
    I think it's sad such a great event has come to this and has understandably upset so many good charitable cyclists who have given their loyal support over the years to not only the ROK but many other charity events..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have always 'ponied up' the sponsorship out of my own pocket. I've set a limit of €100 euros (my normal contribution) so I won't be doing it this year.

Looks like there is going to be a 'sea change' if everyone follows up of their 'threat' to essentially boycott it. Of course there might be no overall net effect if others just simply take up the spare slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If I get in, this will be the first year. However, I wasn't impressed with the way the lottery charge was done - as has been pointed out, plenty of events do it with no charge until you're in.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but between the reports from previous years and the whole entry process, it'd want to be brilliant on the day for me to be back!

If I get in, this will be the first year. However, I wasn't impressed with the way the lottery charge was done - as has been pointed out, plenty of events do it with no charge until you're in.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but between the reports from previous years and the whole entry process, it'd want to be brilliant on the day for me to be back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

When do you find out if your lottery entry was successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Macy0161 wrote: »

if there was no charge they'd most likely get a very large number of applicants and then after the initial awarding of places are made the uptake would then be much lower meaning the event would be under subscribed. They would then have to mess around with second and third round offers to fill the spots. Its an all volunteer organization where nobody gets paid and they already have enough to be doing organizing the event. Therefore a paid lottery in this case is the only way it can work.

..and I have no doubt the lottery will be not fully subscribed meaning most if not all applicants will get a spot.

I spent a week's holidays on the Beara penisula in November and was blown away by it, and thats why Ive finally decided to give this one a crack. The numbers taking part and the fact that the likes of the W200 and SKT160 are tougher has always made me veer towards those in the past.
    Looking forward to it, mostly for the scenery and views.

I spent a week's holidays on the Beara penisula in November and was blown away by it, and thats why Ive finally decided to give this one a crack. The numbers taking part and the fact that the likes of the W200 and SKT160 are tougher has always made me veer towards those in the past.
    Looking forward to it, mostly for the scenery and views.

• Advertisement

if there was no charge they'd most likely get a very large number of applicants and then after the initial awarding of places are made the uptake would then be much lower meaning the event would be under subscribed. They would then have to mess around with second and third round offers to fill the spots. Its an all volunteer organization where nobody gets paid and they already have enough to be doing organizing the event. Therefore a paid lottery in this case is the only way it can work.

..and I have no doubt the lottery will be not fully subscribed meaning most if not all applicants will get a spot.
    I'm not sure how it'd be any more administration to do it with a charge on all successful applications - it's going to happen under this (and the last system) that people will pull out.

It is how it is for this year, but hasn't really got me off to the right footing with the whole event tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

terrydel wrote: »
    When do you find out if your lottery entry was successful?

14th February - afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Macy0161 wrote: »

You will love it. it's a great event, struggling only due to its own success.

Listen, its not the cheapest, there are plenty of other things you could do with the money, but are there many other things you could do that you will be able to think back on with pride?

If you are travelling down, its a great weekend, in a great part of the country with a great event over some amazing scenery.

No matter where you go you will have to pay for accommodation so its really only the entry fee and for a once a year type event, with most of it going to charity I think it makes perfect sense.

Forget about reading all the negativity here (I am not dismissing the valid criticism btw) but get out on your bike and get training to make the day as enjoyable as possible.

Whether you want to speed around or take your time, it day will be better if you have the training put in so that not only are you ready for the distance but also ready for the weather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You will love it. it's a great event, struggling only due to its own success.

Listen, its not the cheapest, there are plenty of other things you could do with the money, but are there many other things you could do that you will be able to think back on with pride?

If you are travelling down, its a great weekend, in a great part of the country with a great event over some amazing scenery.

No matter where you go you will have to pay for accommodation so its really only the entry fee and for a once a year type event, with most of it going to charity I think it makes perfect sense.

Forget about reading all the negativity here (I am not dismissing the valid criticism btw) but get out on your bike and get training to make the day as enjoyable as possible.

Whether you want to speed around or take your time, it day will be better if you have the training put in so that not only are you ready for the distance but also ready for the weather etc.

I will second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I'm sure it's the 20 th of February by e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Saw a few others payed for the event out of their own pocket cause they don't like begging, I'm the same and I cannot afford to for out that type of money for an event. the ROK have just put up a statement and they have turned me off even more, especially where they say "We have received a lot of feedback regarding the price , or cost , admission charge or fee for our charity event. The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle imposes none of these 90% all monies given by you to the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle are donations to the charities."
    Then go on about the non refundable "donation. Talking a load of bo**ox to me

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/announcements/statement-in-response-to-feedback-around-the-registration-process/

spookwoman wrote: »
    Saw a few others payed for the event out of their own pocket cause they don't like begging, I'm the same and I cannot afford to for out that type of money for an event. the ROK have just put up a statement and they have turned me off even more, especially where they say "We have received a lot of feedback regarding the price , or cost , admission charge or fee for our charity event. The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle imposes none of these 90% all monies given by you to the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle are donations to the charities."
    Then go on about the non refundable "donation. Talking a load of bo**ox to me

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/announcements/statement-in-response-to-feedback-around-the-registration-process/

It's just a different way of seeing things - they call it a "donation", most cyclists would call it an "entry fee"

What was the entry fee last year? 175eur is a lot of money.

I presume most people pay out of their own pocket. Any person who is self employed or in a small workforce would find it hard to get enough people to contribute.

What was the entry fee last year? 175eur is a lot of money.

I presume most people pay out of their own pocket. Any person who is self employed or in a small workforce would find it hard to get enough people to contribute.

Back when the suggested donation was 50 euro (and it wasn't even mandatory or enforced) I just paid it myself. I wouldn't be too keen on paying 175 myself but I wouldn't really be in a position to get sponsorship either. Don't forget that 175 is only the charity fee, it's 85 for a normal entry.

• Advertisement

Back when the suggested donation was 50 euro (and it wasn't even mandatory or enforced) I just paid it myself. I wouldn't be too keen on paying 175 myself but I wouldn't really be in a position to get sponsorship either. Don't forget that 175 is only the charity fee, it's 85 for a normal entry.

And I presume the lottery is for the normal entry?

Advertisement