Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2016 - **no entry requests/offers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

tuch wrote: »
    Very telling that it is now February and registration for the lottery which was due to close at end of January is still open.

Have the committee in their greed miscalculated?

On what basis do you have for saying they are greedy?

These are volunteers that have given up countless hours to help set up and run an event that has provided many charities with invaluable cash to help them carry out their roles and also providing a great event for cyclists of all abilities to take part in.

Now they are being greedy? You think the money they generate is going into their pockets? It is quite a claim and really needs to be backed up with some sort of evidence.

They may be right or wrong, but I doubt very much they are dong this to be greedy. To maximise the money available to charities, might be the case and I hope that is true as that is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

tuch wrote: »
    Very telling that it is now February and registration for the lottery which was due to close at end of January is still open.

Have the committee in their greed miscalculated?

Classic example of "no matter what the ROK committee do, they are wrong"

The Lottery entry doesn't end at exactly midnight on January 31st ... most people would be delighted with this as most people leave it to the last minute to enter.

If the lottery closed at 23:59 on the 31st, people would be giving out that the lottery closed early!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm selfish.
    I hope, they close lottery today. It will mean, if there are less people in the lottery, my name will have a better chance of being chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Due to the high level of last minute registrations for this year's Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle, registration has been extended until 11.59pm tonight (Feb 1st)! Register here:
    https://em.eventmaster.ie/client/order_step1.html?eventId=763&showHeader=true;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

jon1981 wrote: »
    Due to the high level of last minute registrations for this year's Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle, registration has been extended until 11.59pm tonight (Feb 1st)! Register here:
    https://em.eventmaster.ie/client/order_step1.html?eventId=763&showHeader=true;

More tenners them kerry boys is cute .I'm still out

• Advertisement

If I wanted to pay 10 euro to not go on a cycle I'd just order a pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

I don't think the organisers are being "greedy" but they are certainly pushing the cost of taking part in this event to the limit of what many could afford, especially when you take the cost of travelling to and from Kerry and accommodation down there. It would cost me about €400 for cheap b&b accommodation for 2 nights, diesel and race fees. That's beyond what I can afford for a sportive. I'd rather spend that sort of money on upgrading my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

As someone who has done a good lot of fund raising by cycling I Can see both sides of the argument, I can see why they want to maximise the amount of money brought in for charity, but on the other hand it's a lot to be landing out for what's a leisurely spin in a nice setting, did the event a couple of times a few years ago don't think Id be doing it again, a good leisurely day out but I would be slow to return given the lottery and the amount to be raised. Good luck to them tho but I think it might have reached a peak given a lot of the feedback the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

I have to smile at the people on here talking about "race fees", "sportives" & the lottery system etc...for one, it's NOT a race, it's also NOT a Cycling club event...it a Charity Fundraiser with the aim of raising as much money as possible for some very worthy causes.

As for the lottery system...have any of you ever paid €10 to enter a 'car draw' or something similar...did you moan & expect your tenner back if you didn't win the car??? No!!

Club cyclists will pay the entry fee and throw the charity a nominal €50 or something, that's not what this event is about...it's about two things FUND RAISING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

The YOPPA wrote: »
    Club cyclists will pay the entry fee and throw the charity a nominal €50 or something, that's not what this event is about...it's about two things FUND RAISING.

Whatever about the (weak) claim that club cyclists will just give a token sum rather than raise donations towards the cycle, what I really can't stand is not being told the second thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

I (mistakingly) thought the 2 words in capitals would indicate the two things I was getting at...Funds & Raising. I suppose it was a loose play on words by me!

As for my 'weak' claim...the point I mentioned was made at a meeting I was at with a ROK Committee member recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

As for my 'weak' claim...the point I mentioned was made at a meeting I was at with a ROK Committee member recently.

Well that's disappointing, though not surprising on the back some of recent years ROK committee communiqués to clubs pre event. It does show just how they seem to have forgotten how those clubs and club riders rode and importantly trained so many others to ride the event and in so doing raised funds for so many charities over the many years before the ROKs more recent increase in popularity and public awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

I'm not going to get into slagging off the ROK. Fact is I love Kerry, beautiful place and great locals. Sure I'd love to do the cycle in July but it's just too damn expensive, especially when compared to,similar events like the Tour deConnemara, Ring of Beara, any of the An Post sportives etc. I can see the ROK declining in popularity as they'll kill off the "golden goose" with the incessant rising cost of the event. Just goes to show that nothing has been learned from the days of the Celtic tiger where costs inflated until suddenly, there was no money left and these events died a death.

It's a shame that the cost of raising funds for this charity is so off putting now. Surely charity is what you can afford to give, not what you are told to give. The "lottery" just compounds the problem as its a barely disguised rip off on top of the extortionate (to poor old me at any rate) cost of the event.

Good luck to all those who manage to get an entry and have a great day out. Sorry I can't join you but I'd rather spend the money on upgrading my group set.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Perazzi

I have to smile at the people on here talking about "race fees", "sportives" & the lottery system etc...for one, it's NOT a race, it's also NOT a Cycling club event...it a Charity Fundraiser with the aim of raising as much money as possible for some very worthy causes.

As for the lottery system...have any of you ever paid €10 to enter a 'car draw' or something similar...did you moan & expect your tenner back if you didn't win the car??? No!!

I here what you are saying but I think they are going too far with the money part of it and I know it costs a lot to run and there are far better sportive out there to cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

does anyone know anything abut doing a cycle the day before or after the ring? I heard that some people who dont get in do this....

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Given that the cost of entering the cycle has risen from €50 in 2011 to €85 2016 you'd be inclined to think costs have increased. But they haven't. Infact the organisers are quite proud of the fact that 90% of your entry fee goes to charity, thats about €76. So if the real cost of entrants is about €10 each, why has the donation per individual entrant risen so much?
    In my opinion its an opportunistic extortion of people with it being the only sportive on a notoriously popular and scenic route. The fact that the actual entry fee of €85 is not visable anywhere on their website until payment for the lottery suggests this is deliberately misleading. You'd think this should be included in "FAQs" or "Important Information"??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

does anyone know anything abut doing a cycle the day before or after the ring? I heard that some people who dont get in do this....

Its there 365(366) days a year to cycle as you please. No support or closed roads of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

DKmac wrote: »
    Given that the cost of entering the cycle has risen from €50 in 2011 to €85 2016 you'd be inclined to think costs have increased. But they haven't. Infact the organisers are quite proud of the fact that 90% of your entry fee goes to charity, thats about €76. So if the real cost of entrants is about €10 each, why has the donation per individual entrant risen so much?
    In my opinion its an opportunistic extortion of people with it being the only sportive on a notoriously popular and scenic route. The fact that the actual entry fee of €85 is not visable anywhere on their website until payment for the lottery suggests this is deliberately misleading. You'd think this should be included in "FAQs" or "Important Information"??

Not the only one...

http://http://killarneycyclingfestival.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I haven't heard anything official but thats what we plan to do. We booked accommodation ages ago so if we're not drawn in the lottery we'll head down early on friday, do the ring and enjoy the saturday as spectators. There might be the beginnings of a group here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Just got my acceptance slip for the ROK now. I'm in wave 6-6.30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

keano25 wrote: »
    Just got my acceptance slip for the ROK now. I'm in wave 6-6.30am.

Did you sign up with a charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Or just cycling it yourself on the day - are they actually going to prevent all traffic from the public roads? Locals have to be able to go about their business as much as possible too. You won't be able to use their food stops etc, but plenty of other options enroute or bring your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

kenmc wrote: »
    Or just cycling it yourself on the day - are they actually going to prevent all traffic from the public roads? Locals have to be able to go about their business as much as possible too. You won't be able to use their food stops etc, but plenty of other options enroute or bring your own.

As has been mentioned a few times at this stage, there are some roads that are closed on the day and there are checkpoints setup just before the road closure and only registered riders are allowed through. I believe this is enforced with the support of Gardai, open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

As has been mentioned a few times at this stage, there are some roads that are closed on the day and there are checkpoints setup just before the road closure and only registered riders are allowed through. I believe this is enforced with the support of Gardai, open to correction on that.
    What happens if I start before 6.00am or after 8.30am?

You will not have the benefit of backup services or traffic restrictions.
    Seems like if you treat yourself to a leisurely breakfast you're entitled to cycle away to your hearts content so.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

lescol wrote: »
    July 16th! Pat's Ring of Kerry Cycling Challenge

https://www.facebook.com/groups/699176210217670/?fref=ts

Sounds like plan B...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Anyone any idea when the "lottery" results will be published? I've received no emails back from the organisers and there's nothing online either....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Anyone any idea when the "lottery" results will be published? I've received no emails back from the organisers and there's nothing online either....:confused:

February 15th according to their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

February 15th according to their Facebook page

From their FB page. The lottery has taken place. The winners will be notified on Feb 15th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...As for the lottery system...have any of you ever paid €10 to enter a 'car draw' or something similar...did you moan & expect your tenner back if you didn't win the car??? No!!..
    I totally agree with your comments about it being primarily a fund raising exercise but your comparison to a car draw is totally irrelevant as one is not expected to pay for the car after winning it.

Those successful in the ROK lottery are not expecting to get a free registration to the event.

Advertisement