Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tents on Condell Road

• 12-07-2015 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I was out for a walk this morning. It appears that people are living in tent on the green areas off the Condell Road.

I highly doubt its kids having a camp out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Spotted that myself yesterday. I seen a guy in his 30s getting out of one of the tents with a six pack beers.

There was another tent very close to the new bridge too.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Yeah i saw one close to the new bridge - on the left then one in that nice little park on the right up further (in the direction of Coonagh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Parchment wrote: »
    Yeah i saw one close to the new bridge - on the left then one in that nice little park on the right up further (in the direction of Coonagh).

Those were the ones I say too. It was a bit strange alright.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Both seem to be "homeless" people which is slightly depressing if that's the case.

Both tents seem to be similar in size and colour and I wonder are they being handed out by a support agency of some sort. I genuinely hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

the guy on Condel road was there in same position last year - stayed about 2 weeks, left no mess and disappeared.

• Advertisement

the guy on Condel road was there in same position last year - stayed about 2 weeks, left no mess and disappeared.

No its a different type of person from what i saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I've seen them in Cork over the years, usually down by the Lough or the Lee Fields.
    It may have something to with fisheries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've seen them in Cork over the years, usually down by the lock or the LeE Fields.
    It may have something to with fisheries

You can't have spent much time in Cork if you spell the Lough like that:pac::p

I've spotted those tents as well, thought it a bit odd that they are in such public and well trodden paths. It's not a course of action I would recommend but I am surprised they haven't been moved on. I assume they would be if there was the slightest whiff of trouble from them.

I actually saw two of the people coming out of one today. I dont think they are fishing. Looked like they might live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Well, they aren't on 'Eircodes' anyway............:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Well, they aren't on 'Eircodes' anyway............:)

I hear its a team of claremen using guerilla tactics to seize disputed border areas in the name of the banner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Jaysus, if the media came out with this one they'd be called sensationalist scumbags. Phog says: "Both seem to be "homeless" people which is slightly depressing if that's the case."
    Then it's followed up by a statement of look how concerned I am about my fellow man: "Both tents seem to be similar in size and colour and I wonder are they being handed out by a support agency of some sort. I genuinely hope not. "

Then TheSimpsons puts out a rational theory - "the guy on Condel road was there in same position last year - stayed about 2 weeks, left no mess and disappeared."

The parchment comes in with the killer blow: "No its a different type of person from what i saw. "
    Then adds their own bit of speculation: "I actually saw two of the people coming out of one today. I dont think they are fishing. Looked like they might live there."

I used to camp out when I was younger. We'd go to different towns, meet people, have some drinks, base ourselves there and get buses to interesting places nearby and do lots of things.
    FFS it's summer time and people are moving around the country. Some go to Spain, Some stay in hotels, some couch surf, some still do it the old fashioned way and bring a tent and a sleeping bag.
    If I had ever met with the attitude of you people while I back-packed around Ireland and Europe pitching my tent when I needed, I would never have left the house to do it again.
    FYI: if someone is in a tent for a few days and they emerge unkempt looking - ah like D'oh!

Jaysus, if the media came out with this one they'd be called sensationalist scumbags. Phog says: "Both seem to be "homeless" people which is slightly depressing if that's the case."
    Then it's followed up by a statement of look how concerned I am about my fellow man: "Both tents seem to be similar in size and colour and I wonder are they being handed out by a support agency of some sort. I genuinely hope not. "

Then TheSimpsons puts out a rational theory - "the guy on Condel road was there in same position last year - stayed about 2 weeks, left no mess and disappeared."

The parchment comes in with the killer blow: "No its a different type of person from what i saw. "
    Then adds their own bit of speculation: "I actually saw two of the people coming out of one today. I dont think they are fishing. Looked like they might live there."

I used to camp out when I was younger. We'd go to different towns, meet people, have some drinks, base ourselves there and get buses to interesting places nearby and do lots of things.
    FFS it's summer time and people are moving around the country. Some go to Spain, Some stay in hotels, some couch surf, some still do it the old fashioned way and bring a tent and a sleeping bag.
    If I had ever met with the attitude of you people while I back-packed around Ireland and Europe pitching my tent when I needed, I would never have left the house to do it again.
    FYI: if someone is in a tent for a few days and they emerge unkempt looking - ah like D'oh!

I'll let the other posters reply for themselves but if they are homeless and I think they are and that's not based on their looks then I want the local authority to find them accommodation. No one should have to live in a tent and certainly no one seeking accommodation should have to pitch a tent on the side a main road on the outskirts of the city .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

phog wrote: »
    I'll let the other posters reply for themselves but if they are homeless and I think they are and that's not based on their looks then I want the local authority to find them accommodation. No one should have to live in a tent and certainly no one seeking accommodation should have to pitch a tent on the side a main road on the outskirts of the city .
    What should they do with people who won't avail of accommodation - it's not uncommon for homeless people to turn down accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

I passed them last week, one day it looked like a few young fella's the next day I saw only an older guy there.

Out of curiosity, where would a camper stay in limerick?, I can't think of any sites other than pitching up in public places like this.

ectoraige wrote: »
    What should they do with people who won't avail of accommodation - it's not uncommon for homeless people to turn down accommodation.

I genuinely have no idea. My main point is that no one should be homeless because of circumstances. I've no idea how authorities should cater for those who want to be homeless.

Why automatically assume the worst?
    Have you spoken to the people in the tents?
    How do you know anything about who they are or what they are doing there?
    Does that make sense?
    All you've done is speculate wildly about a pair of tents pitched on the outskirts of town - you know nothing about them, yet - you create a story behind them of misery and hardship and agencies dispensing emergency shelter in the form of a two-man dome tent.

Your consideration for humanity must be commended, however making up stories, however caring, can cause people irreparable damage.

Why automatically assume the worst?
    Have you spoken to the people in the tents?
    How do you know anything about who they are or what they are doing there?
    Does that make sense?
    All you've done is speculate wildly about a pair of tents pitched on the outskirts of town - you know nothing about them, yet - you create a story behind them of misery and hardship and agencies dispensing emergency shelter in the form of a two-man dome tent.

Your consideration for humanity must be commended, however making up stories, however caring, can cause people irreparable damage.

I haven't automatically assumed anything.

I haven't automatically assumed anything.

Then what's all this then?
    Both seem to be "homeless" people which is slightly depressing if that's the case.

Both tents seem to be similar in size and colour and I wonder are they being handed out by a support agency of some sort. I genuinely hope not.

Then what's all this then?

It wasn't an automatic assumption.

• Advertisement

I guessed they were homeless/had no other options - based on where the tents were and (i loath to use the term but i cant think of anything better) the "type" of person. I saw a man and a woman when i passed the other day (i walk that way a lot). It wasnt a bunch of "lads" camping out.

I am not making judgement, I don't have a problem with it - i just noticed the tents and posted about it. I hope the people can get sorted with some safer and more practical accommodation soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

The tent seems to be gone from there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

davo2001 wrote: »
    The tent seems to be gone from there this morning.

He was probably reading this thread and decided to go while the going was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

It was still there at 12-o-clock when i passed .

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

He was probably reading this thread and decided to go while the going was good.

Mobile Broadband, they must be posh homeless, recession is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

jonski wrote: »
    It was still there at 12-o-clock when i passed .

Still there :eek:

Right guys

TorchGang_thumb.jpg

The tent closest to the Shannon Bridge is still around.

Rough weather for the occupier.

The tent is still there but i think the people have left. I pass it daily and have not seen any activity in quite a while. Nice bit of littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Tent up in Westfields this morning. Is it legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I spotted a small blue tent yesterday morning near the bird sanctuary in Westfield Park. That was around 11.30am.

Advertisement