Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swimming gloves and socks

• 12-07-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

I want something to keep the feet and hands warm when swimming in the sea. I am only learning so having these would make it a little easier. Was in the water lately and the water was freezing. I had to come out and go back in again. Would 3mm neoprene do and any brands or products to recommend. I have checked out wiggle and amazon.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Unless you're also wearing a tri wetsuit or something like that, just gloves and boots won't extend your swim time significantly and will be fairly expensive for what you get, and I think you'd regret it after a few weeks.

Your hands and feet go cold because your body constricts the blood vessels there on purpose to keep your blood pooled more centrally and reduce heat loss. This might feel uncomfortable or even painful at first, but it is the natural physiological reaction to maintain your core temperature. Adding gloves and booties into this equation won't do much to keep the core temp up. Not to mention that the gloves and boots are usually tucked into a wetsuit.. so unless they're very well fitted, when worn without a wetsuit they will tend to accumulate water which will render them useless.

[The only caveat to this would be if you suffer from raynauds, in which case you shouldn't really be swimming in cold water anyways!]

I guarantee you if you go everyday in a week (or failing that, as often as you possibly can) your body will adjust and what seems cold now will not in a few weeks time. Your body will adapt to the cold water very quickly and soon you will be chuckling at the people tip toeing in screaming!

Hope this helps.. if you do end up sticking to your plan make sure the gloves and boots are very tight at the wrist/ankles!

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cheers. I have a wetsuit and it makes a huge difference. That is why I want to buy the above.
    I wouldn't be going out every week. If I can get out for a few swims before the end of the summer I will be happy. The weather isn't helping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

ah that changes everything so!

despite the weather the sea is actually still slowly warming up :)

Advertisement