Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansion Advice

Options
  • 12-07-2015 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I am running my own plumbing business for the past 6 years. I seem to be very busy yet with all my over heads, P.L. ins, Van etc etc My bank acc never seems to get any bigger.
    I have thought about going down a different route i.e. commercial ( starting on a small scale. I am originally a commercial/ind plumber but when times got tough i had to start my own thing.

Any advice ?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

Something that was said to me when I was in a similar situation to yourself
    Work for nothing and you will always be busy.
    If you are as busy as you say, like I was, review your prices as this was where I was falling down.
    Can't comment on whether or not to go commercial or stay domestic but I would have thought you'd be going from the frying pan into the fire unless you start making money for the work you are doing.
    Best of luck either way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Welcome to my world.

Sorry I can't be of any great help, but the oil boiler business is a bit like that. Too much down time in the warmer months.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

beardybob wrote: »
    Hi, I am running my own plumbing business for the past 6 years. I seem to be very busy yet with all my over heads, P.L. ins, Van etc etc My bank acc never seems to get any bigger.
    I have thought about going down a different route i.e. commercial ( starting on a small scale. I am originally a commercial/ind plumber but when times got tough i had to start my own thing.

Any advice ?????

This idea I would approach very, very carefully. The biggest problem with commercial work is cash flow and waiting to get paid which is something that can destroy your business very quickly. I will only consider commercial work if it comes via a reliable source, there have been too many people stung not getting paid or waiting forever to get paid for commercial work.
    A point in hand, last week I received a cheque for a small job I did back in October 2014 for a particular company. There was no dispute over the work or the cost, just typical of how slow it was getting paid from them. Needless to say I don't do anymore work for them or their like.
    As Wilser said earlier, first check your rates and see how you are comparing to the norm, a few euros extra per call could make a difference.

Advertisement