Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What MacBook should I buy?

Options
  • 12-07-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I'm planning of buying a Macbook Pro next month but i'm not sure which one..

I'm only facebooking, chat those kind of things.

Currently I have a quadcore AMD laptop, 8gb ram, fullhd screen, 128gb SSD (2 months old).

I want a MacBook... well just because I can.

2 choices, 13,3 inch retina or 15,4 inch retina (price difference, a lot)

First choice:
    Retina display: 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560x1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colours

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory

128GB PCIe-based flash storage

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Second choice
    Retina display: 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880x1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colours

2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

256GB PCIe-based flash storage

Intel Iris Pro Graphics

There is also a 2849 version with AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

The price between normal one and 15 inch is 800 euros, cpu is faster and resolution is higher but do I really need it? and then there is a most expensive version which cost 2849 euros, because it has a bit faster cpu and better video card.

I won't be playing games because well.. its a mac.
    But I have 15,4 inch now.. what would be the best choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Asmooh wrote: »
    ..I'm only facebooking, chat those kind of things...
    ...I want a MacBook... well just because I can....

... is 800 euros, cpu is faster and resolution is higher but do I really need it?

You don't need any of it. If the objective is to spend money needlessly then go for the most expensive skew they offer, you'll fulfil your objective as much as possible.

Pointless thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

ED E wrote: »
    You don't need any of it. If the objective is to spend money needlessly then go for the most expensive skew they offer, you'll fulfil your objective as much as possible.

Pointless thread.

well im also getting an iPhone 6s plus 64gb in september for the same reason.. but yes I might go for more expensive but is it woth those extra 1300 +- euros?

And people don't need a car, a gsm, a computer, a big TV or anything.. they just want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Why not get an iPad if you want an Apple product for Facebook and chat? The MacBook would be much more awkward to use for simple tasks like that

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, people have a use for a Punto or a Golf. If they want to buy a McLaren to do the schoolrun all fine, but between a McLaren and a Ferrari for said task is all personal choice. Only you can decide how you want to splurge. The forum cant advise what you need when you dont have a real use case for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Or you could buy last years model from the Refurbished section.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    Or you could buy last years model from the Refurbished section.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro
    Nah i only buy brand new, anyway I'm going for the 15,4 inch retina anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can I sell you my €10 note for €100? You know, since you like to waste money?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Can I sell you my €10 note for €100? You know, since you like to waste money?
    No.

And waste is such a wide term.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Can we stick to the topic please folks. No more unhelpful posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd go for the 13", cheaper, lighter, easier to carry. And if you're not doing photo work, or anything that would hugely benefit the bigger screen it would most likely make sense.

The 15" makes sense for more processing intensive stuff, and for working with photos or video imo. I'm considering the 13 Macbook Pro at the moment, but can't justify the cost on a machine that costs 1699 with 16GB of RAM only, that's not upgradable either.

• Advertisement

I'd go for the 13", cheaper, lighter, easier to carry. And if you're not doing photo work, or anything that would hugely benefit the bigger screen it would most likely make sense.

Price doesn't really matter, light also not because it will stay at one place most of the time
    The 15" makes sense for more processing intensive stuff, and for working with photos or video imo. I'm considering the 13 Macbook Pro at the moment, but can't justify the cost on a machine that costs 1699 with 16GB of RAM only, that's not upgradable either.
    I was actually at the Apple store last week, and it's going to be the 15 inch main reason is because I think the screen of the 13 is too small for my and I get annoyed about it, I was typing just some test things and it already felt way too small for me.

Well, 13 inch Macbook + 256gb SD + 16gb ram is not that big difference compare to the 15 inch.

Also if you consider upgrading the processor to dual core i7.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Price doesn't really matter, light also not because it will stay at one place most of the time

I was actually at the Apple store last week, and it's going to be the 15 inch main reason is because I think the screen of the 13 is too small for my and I get annoyed about it, I was typing just some test things and it already felt way too small for me.

Well, 13 inch Macbook + 256gb SD + 16gb ram is not that big difference compare to the 15 inch.

Also if you consider upgrading the processor to dual core i7.

Yeah, I think I'd be tempted by a 15 to be honest. But the money is in insane territory for me really. I'll just save my pennies!

Did you buy?

Did you buy?

I'm actually looking into refurbished vs new, it's against my own rules, but it saves about 300 euros + I also need to buy a macbook pro 13 inch for my girlfriend so saving 300 euros is still a bit.

The one I think is best for her doesn't exist in refurbished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'm actually looking into refurbished vs new, it's against my own rules, but it saves about 300 euros + I also need to buy a macbook pro 13 inch for my girlfriend so saving 300 euros is still a bit.

The one I think is best for her doesn't exist in refurbished

Just don't limit yourself to the apple store. There's 200 quid difference between the apple store and say
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/computing,laptops-and-tablets,laptops/11105-4294940914
    for the same new models.

ressem wrote:
    Just don't limit yourself to the apple store. There's 200 quid difference between the apple store and say

1499 vs 1354 is about 145 euros.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/apple-macbook-pro-13--dual-core-i5-2-7ghz-8gb-128gb-ssd-B5GV.html?refs=4294940914&src=3

Advertisement