Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brits at it again....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Well, considering there's a country within the U.K located on the island of Ireland I reckon its fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Irish would never, ever try and claim a brit is Irish.

Apart from Ed Sheeran and Jack Grealish.

Anyway, I'm off to grab a super Mac's from the Obama Plaza, anyone joining me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This is what the BBC should have said. For their British audience. You know it makes sense.

McGregor, 26, won in Las Vegas to become the first UFC champion from the British Isles.

I don't really care about the quote in the OP fwiw but that would fucking annoy me because the implication is that Ireland is a British Isle, which it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anyway. None of this answers the most pressing question. Now that the little fella's a champion, do the rest of us have to wear tweed and dickie bows, and get that ridiculous manbun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

I wouldn't worry too much, this is only a level 4 success for "the Brits".

Level 1: An English success (Tim Henman, Bradley Wiggins etc.) - the purest and best form of success, this is also applicable to team sports where some of the members may not exactly be 100% English (Eoin Morgan, Kevin Petersen, Mike Catt, John Barnes...)

Level 2: A British Success - This is used mainly when the individual involved is definitely Welsh or Scottish and cannot be claimed as English by even the most tenuous of links. Also applies to team sports where the Welsh or Scottish have won something (not very common).

Level 3: A UK success - A catch-all term which includes success for anyone from NI, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, or anyone who was born on the mainland but subsequently emigrated to any part of the world.

Level 4: A British Isles success - Used to describe an event where an Irish individual or team has achieved success but the vast majority of the population has no idea who that person is but they would love to celebrate that success appropriately (St Patrick's Day is the best analogy).

Given that the vast majority of the population aren't aware that Ireland is a separate country it's no surprise the BBC reported McGregor's win this way - they just want to celebrate a level 4 success without creating widespread confusion at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

They are welcome to him imo

You need to be careful, eating too many lemons can make you very bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Christ the Irish are always trying to claim Ed Sheeran, I think tubs was pestering him about it, and he didn't look amused.

Anyway Isn't it great the UK and Ireland have 3 TdF champions now!

cackhanded wrote: »

Level 1: An English success (Tim Henman, Bradley Wiggins etc.) - the purest and best form of success, this is also applicable to team sports where some of the members may not exactly be 100% English (Eoin Morgan, Kevin Petersen, Mike Catt, John Barnes...)

Level 2: A British Success - This is used mainly when the individual involved is definitely Welsh or Scottish and cannot be claimed as English by even the most tenuous of links. Also applies to team sports where the Welsh or Scottish have won something (not very common).

Level 3: A UK success - A catch-all term which includes success for anyone from NI, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, or anyone who was born on the mainland but subsequently emigrated to any part of the world.

Level 4: A British Isles success - Used to describe an event where an Irish individual or team has achieved success but the vast majority of the population has no idea who that person is but they would love to celebrate that success appropriately (St Patrick's Day is the best analogy).

Given that the vast majority of the population aren't aware that Ireland is a separate country it's no surprise the BBC reported McGregor's win this way - they just want to celebrate a level 4 success without creating widespread confusion at the same time.

Yeah, the young tennis wan is from the Channel Isles, nearly beating Serena was a moderate Level 3

endacl wrote: »
    Anyway. None of this answers the most pressing question. Now that the little fella's a champion, do the rest of us have to wear tweed and dickie bows, and get that ridiculous manbun?

Isn't he like a Interim Champion, I thought Aldi was the main one?

Someone from Northern Ireland can be Irish, British and Northern Irish.

WTF is Northern Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The original article stated " Conor McGregor was "the first UFC Champion from the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland",
    They subsequently changed it.
    http://entertainment.ie/man-cave/BBC-Sport-says-McGregor-is-the-first-UFC-Champion-from-the-United-Kingdom-and-Ireland/367543.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Why? He's a world champion UFC fighter. Whilet you may not like his persona it's all part of the game. Plus at the moment MMA is keeping a lot of young men away from drink and drugs and teaching them all about taking care of their own bodies and nutrition. Instead of spending their money on a couple of grams of coke on a Saturday they're spending it on gym membership and paleo food. A good portion of that is down to Conor McGregor.

I can't understand the Irish begrudgery

As for the op I don't think it's the usual claimed and I'd let them away with that one

Bit ironic as apparently he loves a couple grams himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Grab a load of this bullsh!t(Works both ways)

''Kathryn Nelson, from Athy, Co Kildare, went on a 56-day hunger strike to clear her name after she was accused of money laundering in what was then the largest bank robbery ever in Ireland or the UK.''
    http://goo.gl/8gjikJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Juan8 wrote: »
    Bit ironic as apparently he loves a couple grams himself

Really ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

cackhanded wrote: »

Isle of Man is NOT part of the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I don't really care about the quote in the OP fwiw but that would fucking annoy me because the implication is that Ireland is a British Isle, which it isn't.

This is a good example, maybe the best, of the Irish inferiority complex with Britain.

it's a geological term for a set of islands (it includes the Isle of Man too)....It doesn't mean Britain owns all of them (even though at one point they did actually rule them)

We need to be able to let go a bit more frankly and be secure in who we are

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Or to quote Brenda Fricker, "When you're winning an Oscar, you're British; when you're drunk at the airport, you're Irish."

see British Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray or Scottish Runner up Andy Murray in a similar way (see Alan Wells too)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

Riskymove wrote: »
    see British Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray or Scottish Runner up Andy Murray in a similar way (see Alan Wells too)

Which has never actually happened. Usual shiite coming from people with chips on their shoulder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33481824

(Britain's Andy Murray after he lost...)

This is a good example, maybe the best, of the Irish inferiority complex with Britain.

it's a geological term for a set of islands (it includes the Isle of Man too)....It doesn't mean Britain owns all of them (even though at one point they did actually rule them)

We need to be able to let go a bit more frankly and be secure in who we are

How is it an inferiority complex ? I am not British simple as, Conor MC Gregor is not Brittish simple as , the problem seems to be with the the Brittish media and others who still have thoughts of there controlling and ruling our Island .
    Next sky news be saying he is from the home countries ...

realies wrote: »
    Really ?

What I've heard anyway

• Advertisement

How is it an inferiority complex ? I am not British simple as, Conor MC Gregor is not Brittish simple as , the problem seems to be with the the Brittish media and others who still have thoughts of there controlling and ruling our Island .
    Next sky news be saying he is from the home countries ...

Northern Ireland isn't in Britain either

The British Isles is simply a long standing term to describe the islands. It has no bearing on ownership or if Ireland is in Britain.

It is an inferiority complex if your so obsessed that any suggestion that you might be misconstrued by someone as being British causes such a negative reaction

Britain is not claiming McGregor either, so reading that into what was posted is also a symptom of the inferiority complex tbh

As mentioned Ireland has often claimed ownership of British people of Irish descent and I am not aware of any similar outrage over there.

What I've heard anyway

Ah sure that's grand so, the dirty sniffling cocaine sniffing dirtbag, I am talking about the Pope as I heard he on it to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What I've heard anyway

Link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

The Brits are the worst of the worst...

With Andy Murray, when he wins he is UK and when he loses he from Scotland.

Now with McGregor they are spouting this crap. God they love making themselves look like complete fools, and I love it.

This laughable stuff about the women's football.. I think in the US they are still laughing at the English.

Fools... Only the English could be so proud to lose...haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

3DataModem wrote: »
    Isle of Man is NOT part of the UK

Neither are the Channel Islands. I think you missed the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Embarrassing story. This underlines the inferiority complex the Irish have with the British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Agreed. Will it ever fecking end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Geographic terms causing outrage....

Ah sure that's grand so, the dirty sniffling cocaine sniffing dirtbag, I am talking about the Pope as I heard he on it to...

Well mates of mine know good mates of his who have said it so take it how you want, who'd you hear the pope was on it off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

As an outsider i do think it is a bit odd: 1st from Ireland or the UK.

Just as weird as Dutch newspapers claiming a victory from some Arubian being the first for Aruba or The Netherlands.

Advertisement