Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brits at it again....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

inforfun wrote: »
    As an outsider i do think it is a bit odd: 1st from Ireland or the UK.

Just as weird as Dutch newspapers claiming a victory from some Arubian being the first for Aruba or The Netherlands.

Why ? What's the full name of the UK ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    The Brits are the worst of the worst...

With Andy Murray, when he wins he is UK and when he loses he from Scotland.

Now with McGregor they are spouting this crap. God they love making themselves look like complete fools, and I love it.

This laughable stuff about the women's football.. I think in the US they are still laughing at the English.

Fools... Only the English could be so proud to lose...haha

Cough...Italia 90.....Cough.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Cough...Italia 90.....Cough.......

Cough...cough.... Everything england does.... Masters at losing. And they over hype the loss so everyone can have a good laugh. .

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

Cough...cough.... Everything england does.... Masters at losing. And they over hype the loss so everyone can have a good laugh. .

3rd in the Women's World Cup(best placed European team), Our highest ever medal tally in 2012 olympics, 2 tour de france winners, Wimbledon and US open tennis champion, countless major golf winners, numerous champions league winners, rugby union world cup winners, many world boxing champions.

And you have Italia 90, with an English manager and a half-British team, and now a world champion in a relatively new minority sport.

Easy to see where the bitterness comes from.

Oh, and here's a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33481824 talking about Britain's Andy Murray losing....

cackhanded wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much, this is only a level 4 success for "the Brits".

Level 1: An English success (Tim Henman, Bradley Wiggins etc.) - the purest and best form of success, this is also applicable to team sports where some of the members may not exactly be 100% English (Eoin Morgan, Kevin Petersen, Mike Catt, John Barnes...)

Level 2: A British Success - This is used mainly when the individual involved is definitely Welsh or Scottish and cannot be claimed as English by even the most tenuous of links. Also applies to team sports where the Welsh or Scottish have won something (not very common).

Level 3: A UK success - A catch-all term which includes success for anyone from NI, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, or anyone who was born on the mainland but subsequently emigrated to any part of the world.

Level 4: A British Isles success - Used to describe an event where an Irish individual or team has achieved success but the vast majority of the population has no idea who that person is but they would love to celebrate that success appropriately (St Patrick's Day is the best analogy).

Given that the vast majority of the population aren't aware that Ireland is a separate country it's no surprise the BBC reported McGregor's win this way - they just want to celebrate a level 4 success without creating widespread confusion at the same time.

I would really love to see some examples of this.

A quick read of a few BBC reports shows Tim Henmen rarely referred to as English, whereas Andy Murray is called Scottish far more often than British.

I'd also like to know how you would describe the one day cricket series win over New Zealand, if the team called England, wearing English emblems on their shirts and playing at home, in English cricket grounds, weren't actually England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

A quick read of a few BBC reports shows Tim Henmen rarely referred to as English, whereas Andy Murray is called Scottish far more often than British.

I'd also like to know how you would describe the one day cricket series win over New Zealand, if the team called England, wearing English emblems on their shirts and playing at home, in English cricket grounds, weren't actually England.

Ah shur, but in Italia 90 they were all around upstanding Irishmen, not a Brit among them.... Same goes for the rugby union team, those fellas are only pretending to be Australian or South African, they were all reared in Connacht.

As an outsider i do think it is a bit odd: 1st from Ireland or the UK.

Just as weird as Dutch newspapers claiming a victory from some Arubian being the first for Aruba or The Netherlands.

Is Dutch TV the main news source in Aruba?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Ah shur, but in Italia 90 they were all around upstanding Irishmen, not a Brit among them.... Same goes for the rugby union team, those fellas are only pretending to be Australian or South African, they were all reared in Connacht.

we are also supplying some members of the English Cricket team!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Why ? What's the full name of the UK ?

I dont know why.
    The guy is Irish so he is the first from Ireland doing it.

Dont see the point in adding the "or the Uk" part.
    Would have made more sense, if he had been the first from Europe, to write: 1st from Ireland or Europa. Since he is Irish and is European.

I have not nor am i going to lose sleep over it, just find it odd.

Not sure why you ask me what the full name of the UK is, I think you know that yourself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Is Dutch TV the main news source in Aruba?

Probably not.
    Is the BBC the main news source in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Probably not.
    Is the BBC the main news source in Ireland?

Pretty much so, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Would you just get over it and move on and stop being so reactive to a nation and world that really doesn't give a second thought to you.

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Pretty much so, yes.

Eh what?

Since when do BBC cover the local government elections in Ireland?

I live in the UK and if I want Irish news I read RTE not the BBC.

Think you are being a little disingenuous there at best.

33rd team?

Scarlet for yous.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Eh what?

Since when do BBC cover the local government elections in Ireland?

I live in the UK and if I want Irish news I read RTE not the BBC.

Think you are being a little disingenuous there at best.

It does seem to be the most read news site in Ireland though. Especially as far as After Hours is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It does seem to be the most read news site in Ireland though. Especially as far as After Hours is concerned.

A fair point. The way I picked up your initial meaning was that BBC covers all noteworthy Irish news topics!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well their captain has more or less no english connections, only he's very good at cricket and he's played there the last few years. At least the likes of Stokes grew up in England, and Ballance cant play for the country of his birth for political reasons. But Morgan and Rankin,imo, if they're not going to be playing tests, they should be playing ODIs for Ireland

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Would you just get over it and move on and stop being so reactive to a nation and world that really doesn't give a second thought to you.

Grow up.
    Eh they brought it up Conor McGregor was "the first UFC Champion from the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland :rolleyes:

It's bizarre in this instance but I think it most cases it doesnt do any harm, just a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

As others have said, the reason people were annoyed was because it originally said "the first champion from the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland", as if McGregor was a UK citizen, or the two were the same country.

I wouldn't be offended beyond rolling my eyes at it, but it's surprising how many people think we're the same country. I live in the UK atm and the number of people I've had to politely explain it to is incredible. Europeans, who really should know better considering we're in the EU and Eurozone, and occasionally someone from the UK itself who DEFINITELY should know what's part of their own country and what's not.

I don't really care about the quote in the OP fwiw but that would fucking annoy me because the implication is that Ireland is a British Isle, which it isn't.

"The British Isles" is a geographical term for a part of Europe, like Scandanavia or Iberia or the Balearic Islands, and like it or not, it does include Ireland. It's the name of the archiepelago and nothing to with the countries on it.

Well their captain has more or less no english connections, only he's very good at cricket and he's played there the last few years. At least the likes of Stokes grew up in England, and Ballance cant play for the country of his birth for political reasons. But Morgan and Rankin,imo, if they're not going to be playing tests, they should be playing ODIs for Ireland

That dodged the question though. How should the team that won that series be described, if not England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Can they claim his fans too......?

As others have said, the reason people were annoyed was because it originally said "the first champion from the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland", as if McGregor was a UK citizen, or the two were the same country.

I wouldn't be offended beyond rolling my eyes at it, but it's surprising how many people think we're the same country. I live in the UK atm and the number of people I've had to politely explain it to is incredible. Europeans, who really should know better considering we're in the EU and Eurozone, and occasionally someone from the UK itself who DEFINITELY should know what's part of their own country and what's not.
    This happened to me in Luxembourg recently, the guy at the hostel desk didn't believe Ireland was a separate country as he only usually only saw passports from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :pac: I thought it was hilarious at the time, but how can people honestly not know these things?

"The British Isles" is a geographical term for a part of Europe, like Scandanavia or Iberia or the Balearic Islands, and like it or not, it does include Ireland. It's the name of the archiepelago and nothing to with the countries on it.
    It's a flawed name though and makes a political distinction at the Channel Islands, and if you dont like it you can just not use it and eventually it will fall out of common use like other colonial names have, who talks about the east indies anymore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

It's not racism. English or British is not a race. It's xenophobia.

I know, technically, that that's the correct term, but it doesn't quite capture the stupid on display here. We need something new, something between 'xenophobia' and 'racism'.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

zeffabelli wrote: »

Grow up.

Get off the thread if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to stick around!

I'm not the only one that picked up on it as you can read here, Only if you want to ;)

http://www.herald.ie/sport/other-sports/bbc-are-trying-to-claim-united-kingdoms-conor-mcgregor-as-one-of-their-own-31371701.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/tweets-irish-fans-unimpressed-with-bbc-attempt-to-claim-mcgregor-686206.html

http://www.joe.ie/sport/pic-bbc-take-a-pasting-for-unnecessary-united-kingdom-reference-in-conor-mcgregor-article/503709

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/the-bbc-are-trying-to-claim-united-kingdoms-conor-mcgregor-as-one-of-their-own-31370812.html

Just to add there also - The editor changed from 'and' to 'or'. I'm pretty sure you didn't see it.

That dodged the question though. How should the team that won that series be described, if not England?
    Oh yeah it's definitely England of course (or is it technically England and Wales :confused:), I just meant that there's a few issues with the english cricket team itself at the moment. Now Ireland does the same and some of our best players were just Aussie/SA ex-pats, but Ireland only has a fraction of the player base and infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I lived in Wales and experienced loads of people who were genuinely shocked that Ireland wasn't part of the UK.

To the informed, the article on the BBC is not a big deal; but it is little things like that which doesn't help people distinguish that Ireland is indeed a completely separate country from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We are just as bad as 'de Brits' for claiming people. If you ever have the misfortune of traveeling through Moneygall in Offaly, they have a place called the Barack Obama Plaza, which is a petrol station and Supermacs combined. That is god awful. Watch the Late Late Show anytime (if you're able for that kind of thing) and witness Ryan Tubridy trying to forge links with every guest he's had. Will Ferrell was going through the motions with him and Tubs getting the Irish connection in when my pal piped up and said he'd never heard the name Ferrell ever before in this country.

On the flip side, many people love nothing more than pretending to be Brits when it suits them. The amount of 'Scouse' and Mancs' over here calling themselves we and us is pathetic, but that's seen as fully acceptatable. So take the high ground all you want, but we are notorious for this kind of thing. That pun was semi intended btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

3rd in the Women's World Cup(best placed European team), Our highest ever medal tally in 2012 olympics, 2 tour de france winners, Wimbledon and US open tennis champion, countless major golf winners, numerous champions league winners, rugby union world cup winners, many world boxing champions.

And you have Italia 90, with an English manager and a half-British team, and now a world champion in a relatively new minority sport.

Easy to see where the bitterness comes from.

Oh, and here's a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/33481824 talking about Britain's Andy Murray losing....

He has only been British when losing since he won a grad slam

http://www.themediablog.co.uk/the-media-blog/2010/01/does-andy-murray-really-win-british-but-lose-scottish.html

Did the editor also change the opening sentence
    Irish mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor claimed the Ultimate Fighting Championship interim featherweight title by beating Chad Mendes.

Pretty poor attempt at claiming he is British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Brits are the worst of the worst...

With Andy Murray, when he wins he is UK and when he loses he from Scotland.

Now with McGregor they are spouting this crap. God they love making themselves look like complete fools, and I love it.

This laughable stuff about the women's football.. I think in the US they are still laughing at the English.

Fools... Only the English could be so proud to lose...haha

We were called the Best Fans In The World after being absolutely slaughtered at Euro 2012 and getting zero points, never more evident when we were being obliterated 4-0. The amount of backslapping the fans got was ridiculous. So no, it's not just them.

Advertisement