Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bed for older dog

• 12-07-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but my guy is 10 now getting a little slower and has issues with his shoulders.. He currently has a plastic bed with lots of vet bedding /blankets which is against the radiator etc

But I'm wondering if he needs a better bed an orthededic bed etc?

I'm going to be ordering something this week, can you recommend a very good bed for older dogs?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

cocker5 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but my guy is 10 now getting a little slower and has issues with his shoulders.. He currently has a plastic bed with lots of vet bedding /blankets which is against the radiator etc

But I'm wondering if he needs a better bed an orthededic bed etc?

I'm going to be ordering something this week, can you recommend a very good bed for older dogs?

Thanks a mill

My mother has a retriever who's 9ish, and slowing down a lot too. The vet recently recommended that she get a piece of foam to put under her normal vet bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What about the raised Hi-k9 beds? With vet bed on them? They are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    What about the raised Hi-k9 beds? With vet bed on them? They are great.

+1 we have 3 - one in the garden and two inside... And I'm probably going to buy a forth(!) soon so I don't have to keep carrying one upstairs every night for the 'bunk beds' and then back down again in the morning! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have these beds http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/waterproof_beds/155704
    I used to put vet bed over it for our old girl as she was incontinent :( they stayed dry! But can be washed in the machine. They are so cosy a human could even sleep on it :D
    They are brilliant :) I must have mine 7 years! I couldn't have a raised bed for her as she was blind and had very bad hips and legs.

If you want to see them in the flesh the pet shop in carrickmines retail park sells them (can't remember the name!!) they also have one with sides called "dream bay".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I like the raised beds too, and it is recommended to raise the level of the bed for older dogs (though obviously, you need to factor in things that might mitigate against this, like Millem had to due to her oldie being blind too).
    That said, I know my dogs love having a bed with sides on it so that they can snuggle up against the walls of it, and the walls sort of hold them in that curled-up sleeping shape (I hope this is making sense!)
    If you just get a raised bed with VetBed on it, it'll be a flat bed... If your Cocker prefers a snuggly bed with sides, how do those of you with the raised beds think it'd work if a normal bed-with-sides was put on top of the raised bed? Or perhaps OP can find other ways of simply raising the current bed onto some home-made platform for some sort?

• Advertisement

The hi-k9s sink down a bit so there's still a little bit of an edge to them - they're not completly flat like some of the other brands of raised bed. I have all mesh ones though - not sure about other covers? I would have said then same about Bailey though preferring a bed with sides because he had a oval bed before the raised one...but after he came home from his operation last year he took to sleeping on the raised in sitting room (possibly because it had Lucy's scent on it?) so when it was time to replace his bed I got him a raised one and he loves it! You could probably attach a bed with sides to them easy enough - the cushions/pads etc for them are just held on with loops going around the four legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies i appreciate it....

Prior to your replies I had looked up some orthopaedic beds and this one caught my eye... so it not too raised and still has edges for his head to rest one... as DBB mentioned he's snuggler he loves sleeping all curled up with his head resting on the side...

what do you guys think?

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/square/ortho_memory/206850#more

Price isn't an issue we will get him whatever he needs so if there's a better one plase let me know and we will get it for him

plus he will still have some vet bed to .... there will be carpet on the floor underneath to stop any cold and plus he sits directly infront of the radiator

also he was taking salmon oil and luposan pellets for ages... can you recommend any better products to help him?

Sorry for all the questions X

Thanks guys

Aren't the dog specials due soon in Homestore and More? Maybe hold off a few weeks coker5 ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    Aren't the dog specials due soon in Homestore and More? Maybe hold off a few weeks coker5 ;)

Thanks will def check that Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

cocker5 wrote: »

I bought this dog for my westie years ago and it is still good as new! its a lovely bed and i find i sit on it when we run out of chairs and its really comfy even for me!

if you do buy it i would buy a couple of blankets to tuck into the cream bit of it as i know Molly anyway needed it washed every couple of days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I have that exact bed for my older dog he loves it and he likes resting his head on the arm bit of it, it's very thick I dont have anything underneath it but saying that it's only his evening bed cos its in the front room, his main bed is actually 3 beds on top of each other or the sofa, he also has a bit of arthritis by the way, my only issue with it is that it's smaller than I thought it would be even though I got the biggest size, but he fits on it fine and is prob not much bigger than a cocker, I was just hoping it would fit 2 dogs on it but it doesn't

Thanks a million guys.. Bed is now ordered along with new vet bed.. And other stuff he doesn't really need 😜..hopefully by Friday he will be sleeping like a king!

Thanks xx

Advertisement