Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vet appointment charges

• 12-07-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm very worried about my dog black lab, she's two lumps one on her chest and one on the back leg, we took her to the dspca in Clondalkin and they couldn't tell us one way oor the other if they were cancerous or fatty tissues as the breed are susceptible to both.

We want to get a second opinion before we send her off for an operation (which the dspca advise).

So can anyone please advise how much an appointment at the vets would cost, we usually only use those mobile clinics due to social welfare etc.

Or any ideas what these lumps might be please be gentle I'm distracted and already thinking the worst!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My vet charges about €40 for the initial consultation. Did the first vet give any indication of what they thought it was or doing any tests that you know of? My friend's retriever has had a few fatty lumps/cysts over the last few years which were all fine - the didn't bother removing them all to save putting her under etc. so try not to freak out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RuasMum

tk123 wrote: »
    My vet charges about €40 for the initial consultation. Did the first vet give any indication of what they thought it was or doing any tests that you know of? My friend's retriever has had a few fatty lumps/cysts over the last few years which were all fine - the didn't bother removing them all to save putting her under etc. so try not to freak out too much.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!! Thanks, we are soooooo hoping that that's the case, the lumps make me feel so uneasy because you always think the worst, if they are the cysts I'd be inclined to avoid the surgery because no one wants that.

The vet couldn't be sure what they were due to their location and said we could either get a biopsy done at €120 or straight in for surgery at €200 but due to her indecision we're going for a 2nd opinion before any sharp objects are used.

Her (the dog) temperament and appetite have remained the same throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

RuasMum wrote: »
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear!! Thanks, we are soooooo hoping that that's the case, the lumps make me feel so uneasy because you always think the worst, if they are the cysts I'd be inclined to avoid the surgery because no one wants that.

The vet couldn't be sure what they were due to their location and said we could either get a biopsy done at €120 or straight in for surgery at €200 but due to her indecision we're going for a 2nd opinion before any sharp objects are used.

Her (the dog) temperament and appetite have remained the same throughout.

Its impossible to tell what the lumps are just by looking or even by feeling as some nastys can be similar to the likes of lipomas(fatty lumps) however lipomas are common in the lab and are much more common than maligant tumours.

Your choices are fna.biopsy or removal.

Depending on where the lumps are should help decide the course of action.if they are in an area that they are causing issues with movement or in a spot where they will be getting friction when lying down or moving either now or if they grow then its usually worth going straight for removal as even if they are benign they may cause issues if they get bigger.

If they are in areas that are not bothering the dog and you do not want surgery then fna or biopsy is the next option. Biopsy is much more reliable than fna as you get a better sample but generally involves a mild sedation and sometimes a stitch or two.but you get a larger sample for the lab to look at so its more reliable.
    fna can be done but putting a needle into the lumps and pulling out cells to look at under a microscope.its usually unsedated but it is often not very relaible as you are only getting small samples but it can be good for peace of mind where lipoma is the suspecion.

All depends on where they are really.if they are in awkward areas then taking them off now is the cheapest and best long term option.if not its up to you if you want fna or biopsy.fna is usually muh cheaper.

Consults are between 35 to 40 euro in most areas.fna will be on top of consult range is usualy between 50 to 60 euro. 120 is a good price for biopsy and 200 a very cheap removal option tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My lab has a lipoma on her side, vet was happy thats all it was by external exam and actually recommended not to have it removed as theres a very strong chance it will just grow back.

Aru wrote: »
    120 is a good price for biopsy and 200 a very cheap removal option tbh

+1 Agree with this. OP if the cost is an issue you might be able to work out a payment plan with the vet?

• Advertisement

the dspca quoted us them prices, so yes they are very good.

The fact that the original vet couldn't discern what they are has left us in limbo, so I think we're going to take her to the vets once more and not a mobile clinic, for a second opinion to avoid the surgery and/or more costs.

Thanks for the advice :)

the dspca quoted us them prices, so yes they are very good.

The fact that the original vet couldn't discern what they are has left us in limbo, so I think we're going to take her to the vets once more and not a mobile clinic, for a second opinion to avoid the surgery and/or more costs.

Thanks for the advice :)

You're probably going to end up paying a lot more so be prepared(!) You have one vet who's decided that can't be sure what the lumps are and wants to investigate further at a subsidized cost - a private clinic might think the same but will probably charge a lot more. When my dog had a lump last year the initial work in my vets - aspiration, biopsy, xrays (the lump was in his mouth so the vet had to xray his chest once she discovered the 'blister' was actually a tumor in case it had spread to his lungs) was €400+ my other dog cut her paw last month and had to be taken in for the day and have it stitched up - €250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

One of my labs has fatty lumps and has done for years. I know it sounds horrible but you can move them under her skin!
    For done reason I think the vet checked them by sticking a needle into them? I could be wrong though as she has had them years!

Millem wrote: »
    One of my labs has fatty lumps and has done for years. I know it sounds horrible but you can move them under her skin!
    For done reason I think the vet checked them by sticking a needle into them? I could be wrong though as she has had them years!

Gross!! You can feel Bailey's implants in his legs - nuts, bolts and plates >_<

Aru wrote: »
    Your choices are fna.biopsy or removal.

What is fna?? :/

• Advertisement

I hate to feel them however my partner felt them just there and yes they definately move, does this mean something??

I've done more research on lipomas and the more I read the more I'm convinced thats what she has, but it would still be nice to hear some confirmation from a vet.

What is fna?? :/

Fine needle aspiration ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

the more I read the more I'm convinced thats what she has.
    if in doubt get them out any decent vet will let you pay in installments. if i were you I'd of opted for the 200 removal seems like a great price I know it's a lot of money when you have none but I would starve myself to get it if I had too. ( that's just me though).

I hate to feel them however my partner felt them just there and yes they definately move, does this mean something??

I've done more research on lipomas and the more I read the more I'm convinced thats what she has, but it would still be nice to hear some confirmation from a vet.

I don't know tbh! I just know my dog's are only fatty lumps. They vet checks them every year at her vaccs. They are like small golf balls under her skin that you can move! You can Defo notice 2; one under her arm and one on her shoulder.

I wouldn't get my dog's one removed as they are harmless. She has pet insurance so money is not an issue. She was a nightmare when we got her speyed....burst her stitches, hated the cone etc!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If its confirmed as a lipoma there's no way I'd have it/them removed, they are harmless fatty lumps and only warrant surgery if they grow to a size that's proving to interfere with movement or comfort. Also theres the strong possibility they'll regrow.

Our old dog used to have warts!!! Again they were harmless. Yuck yuck!!
    I think a lot of lumps and bumps come with old age :)

tk123 wrote: »
    Fine needle aspiration ;)

I knew that lol :/

if in doubt get them out any decent vet will let you pay in installments. if i were you I'd of opted for the 200 removal seems like a great price I know it's a lot of money when you have none but I would starve myself to get it if I had too. ( that's just me though).

I agree, but we're trying to avoid surgery so we will be seeking the advice of our local vet he comes highly recommended so I'm already quite confident in him. This is only because the first vet we took her to couldn't give us a clear answer and was very vague and we don't want to have a very painful and invasive surgery done on her based on one vets vagueness, you know??

If she does need to have an operation I will be going to the dspca to have them removed as they are very reasonably priced but fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

I don't know tbh! I just know my dog's are only fatty lumps. They vet checks them every year at her vaccs. They are like small golf balls under her skin that you can move! You can Defo notice 2; one under her arm and one on her shoulder.

I wouldn't get my dog's one removed as they are harmless. She has pet insurance so money is not an issue. She was a nightmare when we got her speyed....burst her stitches, hated the cone etc!!!

Yeah I would described hers as egg shaped, and if they turn out to be lipomas we won't be getting them removed either either.

I have been talking myself off a cliff since finding these lumps and I've been imaging the worst so finding out a bit more of these lipomas is a good. Can't wait to take her to the vets now she's gonna hate me for it but nothing a sleep on the sofa and a peanut butter kong can't fix.

Advertisement