Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever air - layered?

Options
  • 13-07-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭

I'm interested it trying out air-layering a few young-ish shrubs and decorative trees. I've looked it up and they say to put a bag of damp compost over a 'wounded' part of a young branch about a third of the way down. All sounds simple enough, but the problem is.... How do I get the plastic bag of compost down over the top of the branch without damaging or breaking the upper leaves/ stems?
    Have you any tips? I probably haven't explained the problem too well, but hopefully you know what I mean.
    A photo or two would be very helpful if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Latro

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Thanks for the link, Latro. I particularly like the plastic bottle option. I would never have thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I tried with low growing branches.
    Cut an x across the bottom of a 2l pot a plant had come in.
    Slit it down across the branch I wanted.
    Filled with compost. Put a stake through to keep it pinned to the ground.

Did this in autumn and by following autumn I could cut branch below pot and had a new cutting to plant on.

Actually - reading that it's not really air layering !!

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

_Brian wrote: »
    I tried with low growing branches.
    Cut an x across the bottom of a 2l pot a plant had come in.
    Slit it down across the branch I wanted.
    Filled with compost. Put a stake through to keep it pinned to the ground.

Did this in autumn and by following autumn I could cut branch below pot and had a new cutting to plant on.

Actually - reading that it's not really air layering !!

No, that's usually called ground -layering! Works well if the branches are close enough to the ground to take root. Either a pin of some sort or even a heavy stone should hold it down

Advertisement