Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Satoru Iwata

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Satoru Iwata has passed away, Nintendo have announced :(

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf

Very, very sad news.

I'm going to miss this :(

nintendodirect620pxhedimg_6378.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It came as a shock. I know people had their differences but Mr. Iwata had Nintendo's best interests at heart. This is f***ed up. My deepest sympathies to his family. This is crazy. The President of Nintendo is dead? That's what I keep sayng in disbelief. I know I had differences but this man made billions of $'s for Nintendo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer”.

- Satoru Iwata

Awful news alright, may he Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

R.I.P.

He was very ill a few months ago but apparently recovered. Japanese corporate culture is different from the west, and Nintendo is a very traditional corporation. It wouldn't surprise me if Iwata worked himself into an early grave during the turmoils of the Wii U. Very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

RIP Iwata San.

Genuinely sad at this news. Iwata was a fantastic leader for the company, bringing in an openness and seems of fun to their dealings with the public, such as the Nintendo Direct videos, and someone that always had their ethos at heart: gaming being, first and foremost, fun.

Will be difficult to replace him,and I'm sure many will remember him fondly.

original.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A very young looking 55.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very sad to hear this. He was a genius and kept gaming fun. Hope some of the other guys at Nintendo Japan step up and continue his legacy

RIP.

Love this image that popped up this morning on twitter.
    If this doesn't make you a bit misty, you're not a nintendo fan. :o

CJxYwVtUkAAuY_J.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A great man, helping Nintendo to become one of the most innovative and fun games makers on the planet.
    I would hope that people can avoid criticism of the man and his policies, particularly at this time.
    Sony and MS' Xbox division have also made their commiserations and fair play to them, but it hasn't stopped bottom feeding low life's from making their nasty little comments in the vain hopes of some attention.

Here's to Nintendo continued success as tribute to the great man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

11705140_433023170214086_6942456092199981964_n.jpg?oh=4a51d38935080c4c59b8581a7be88955&oe=562357D2

edit - I was already a little misty when I first saw the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Can't believe it. Shocked. Only 55, so very young. Rip Iwata-San. My sympathies to his family at this sad time.

I wonder if he picked who would take over this role over the past few weeks or if this was a very sudden passing.

Strange times ahead for Nintendo indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Absolutely shocked, very sad indeed. Always liked his Nintendo Direct presentations, you could clearly see that he had far more than just a business interest in the games about which he spoke.

I didn't even reslise he was so gravely ill, and we can only speculate that he might have stayed on to satisfy cultural expectations rather than his own best interest . RIP to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

I know now how the rabid apple fans felt when Jobs died.
    Genuinely saddened at this news.

R.I.P You Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Gonna fire up marioKart 8 tonight for a few races as the great man.

https://twitter.com/Dark_Decay/status/620395794223333376

He's on the rainbow road now (taken at Nintendo HQ this morning in Kyoto) :o

1338716409364420968.jpg

Lots of tributes have been paid to Iwata-san. This is one of the most touching.
    CJx_YqJWEAAH0WJ.jpg:large

Shigesato Itoi, creator of EarthBound, posted this message about Satoru Iwata’s recent passing.
    “No matter the farewell, I think the most appropriate thing to say is “we”ll meet again.” We are friends so we”ll see each other again. There is nothing strange about saying it. Yeah. We’ll meet again.

Even if you didn’t have the chance to put into words how sudden it was going to be, how far you’d be traveling, or how you went much earlier than expected, I know you went wearing your best.

You always put yourself second to others no matter what, helping anyone who needed it whenever they needed it. You were that kind of friend. Although you may have been a little selfish for the first time ever by taking this journey.

The truth is though that I still don’t believe any of it. I feel like I am going to receive a message from you inviting me out to eat at any moment. I wouldn’t mind if you were to ask me like always if I had some free time. If you did, I’d ask you as well.

Still, “we’ll meet again.” It would be great to hear from you whenever and wherever; I’ll being calling to you too. I’ll call if I have something to discuss or I want to tell you a great new idea I’ve had.

We’ll meet again.

Then again, you’re here with me now.”

I think this is one of the nicest, subtle ones.

CJzHIy4UsAQSej8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

So sad :( R.I.P Satoru Iwata

• Advertisement

There was a rainbow seen over Nintendo HQ today.
    1338716409364420968.jpg

http://kotaku.com/today-there-was-a-rainbow-over-nintendos-kyoto-headqua-1717437663

Mr. Iwata taking the Rainbow Road to heaven.

Corholio wrote: »

Very moving. That'd even bring a tear to those with a heart of stone.

Screwattack did a tribute as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o__F04X5JbY

I love that IGN tribute.

See you next time Mr Iwata, see you next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah feck, I just noticed them all trying to give Iwata-san a health power up in Sligeach's post
    No tears here, I swear....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah feck, I just noticed them all trying to give Iwata-san a health power up in Sligeach's post
    No tears here, I swear....

Yes, one of the IGN comments had to point that out to me. Nice touch.

Strangely though, I didn't feel sad watching that tribute. I had more smiles on my face than anything. His life's work should be celebrated and no doubt will be in the coming days and weeks (as should the life of any influential creator).

Satoru Iwata Game Developers Choice Awards Tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YG9INjO91Y

Such a lovely tribute but so equally sad. :(

sligeach wrote: »
    Satoru Iwata Game Developers Choice Awards Tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YG9INjO91Y

Such a lovely tribute but so equally sad. :(

:(

• Advertisement

Gut punch right in the feels... :(

Advertisement