Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Sterling transfer ever

• 13-07-2015 1:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

Followed football many years, watched prices soar to the point I don't care - but if Raheem Sterling is worth 50 million sterling , me at my prime at humble Leinster senior league must have been worth a million - at least I tried, and had little ego.
    The price for sterling is at least 30 million sterling over the odds , for a player of unquestionable talent, lots of potential , but little end product and an ego the size of the Man City bank balance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Summer Transfer 2015 thread not good enough for this, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Summer Transfer 2015 thread not good enough for this, no?

the price is so inflated , I'd say no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats the problem with currency, always fluctuating. Everyone moans about the Euro but just be thankful we're not in a common currency with the UK. 1 sterling = 49 million sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

thebaz wrote: »
    Followed football many years, watched prices soar to the point I don't care - but if Raheem Sterling is worth 50 million sterling , me at my prime at humble Leinster senior league must have been worth a million - at least I tried, and had little ego.
    The price for sterling is at least 30 million sterling over the odds , for a player of unquestionable talent, lots of potential , but little end product and an ego the size of the Man City bank balance.

Nowhere near as bad as the Andy Carroll transfer in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I remember when Andy Cole signed for United. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control.

I remember when Alan Shearer signed for Newcastle. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control.

Gigi Buffon signed for Juventus. No keeper is worth 30m. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control.

Zidane signing for R. Madrid .
    Ronald signing for Madrid

Etc

Etc

Etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bale

Gigi Buffon signed for Juventus. No keeper is worth 30m. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control.

Etc

Etc

Etc

Is Sterling comparable to Zidane or Ronaldo ?
    Those 2 are greats , Sterling is just potential, with a serious attitude problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This thread is 2/3 years too early, we've no idea how good he is going to become

Soups123 wrote: »
    This thread is 2/3 years too early, we've no idea how good he is going to become

or not -

I'd say another Theo Walcott at best - what has he actually achieved ??
    50 million for potential alone and a dodgy temperament

Schneiderlin at half the price , from the noisy neighbours seams much more astute business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Are man city fans happy with that signing? I cant imagine so. He may be only 20, but with that price tag, he should be a player of the season contender, so thats alot of pressure.

So liverpool are now in a two way battle with spurs to become the most mediocre side in the premier league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I remember when Andy Cole signed for United. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control.

I remember when Alan Shearer signed for Newcastle. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control.

Etc

Etc

Etc
    I remember when Fernando Torres signed for Chelsea. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No.

Etc

Etc

Etc

Exactly this. Andy Carroll is worth £35m, a young talent, £50m for Sterling seems sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

pablo128 wrote: »
    I remember when Fernando Torres signed for Chelsea. The price was obscene. No human is worth that sort of money. The game is out of control. :pac:

And he was worth every penny for Mr Abramovich after the goal in Barcelona

Schneiderlin at half the price , from the noisy neighbours seams much more astute business.

I'm no scienctichan, but a getting a player in a completely different position to what your looking for isnt really a great way to save your money. Sure they probably could have pipped Utd to Valdez for free and saved the whole €49m. He might not get them 10-15 goals and the same amount of assists mind....

Are man city fans happy with that signing? I cant imagine so. He may be only 20, but with that price tag, he should be a player of the season contender, so thats alot of pressure.

So liverpool are now in a two way battle with spurs to become the most mediocre side in the premier league.

The money is irrelevant to the fans, far too much moaning goes on in that regard. City are not going to lose out on any other signings because they spent 50m on Sterling.

The owners will just root around behind the couch and lob their spare change in to buy whoever they want/need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Andy Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

How can anyone say Sterling is worth £20m when in the Liverpool squad there's players like Lallana £25m, Lovren £20m, Markovic £20m etc, Also the fact that QPR get 20% of the fee, he's English and City were desperate for homegrown players and that it's direct rivals (kind of) doing the deal and you can see why he went for £49m

The answer you're looking for though is Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Not sure the FX markets have fully priced in Grexit yet so there could be worse Sterling transfers to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can't judge this transfer for a couple of years at a minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This f*cking thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Etc

Etc

Etc
    All of those you mention there were proven world class players when those transfers occurred. They'd already proven themselves before these transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And he was worth every penny for Mr Abramovich after the goal in Barcelona

Not really. They'd have won on away goals anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Did people not see how much the recent premier league TV deal was worth? £50m is the going rate these days and what does it matter it's not your money (unless you are paying for SKY or BT then technically some of it is your money). If you don't like it stop watching and stop paying because it's only going to get worse.

Also, Andy Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

The wife (who granted has a limited knowledge of soccer but is a smart woman)....said to me this am over brekkie....so Man Utd bought two lads at wkd and Man City bought one fella ...and he cost 49m sterling (no pun intended)....oh my god that's an obscene amount of money!'...I nodded and said 'and the thing is he is a very very immature young man'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The fee will soon be forgotten about if he starts to tear it up for City. Bale in his first season at Madrid, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

liverpool last summer paid £20 million for Markovic, £25m for lallana and those guys are not a patch on sterling so clearly he is worth more than £20m level given citys finances dwarf liverpools.

city are signing a 20 year old who is an england regular and has more goals at that age (in roughly same number of appearances) than cristiano ronaldo did at the same age (after 2 years at man utd)

clubs know very well about the homegrown rule which is why young english internationals are going for high premiums...luke shaw went for £32 million remember last summer

anyway lets say sterling spends the next 15 years at city (always a possibility)...thats £3.4 million a year it will cost them. with inflation and everything factored in £50m in 15 years time will seem a bargain should he be successful there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

rossie1977 wrote: »
    liverpool last summer paid £20 million for Markovic, £25m for lallana and those guys are not a patch on sterling so clearly he is worth more than £20m level given citys finances dwarf liverpools.

city are signing a 20 year old who is an england regular and has more goals at that age (in roughly same number of appearances) than cristiano ronaldo did at the same age (after 2 years at man utd)

clubs know very well about the homegrown rule which is why young english internationals are going for high premiums...luke shaw went for £32 million remember last summer

anyway lets say sterling spends the next 15 years at city (always a possibility)...thats £3.4 million a year it will cost them. with inflation and everything factored in £50m in 15 years time will seem a bargain should he be successful there

It's always a possibility as well that he could be 'doing' 10-15 yrs in a few years time as well given his personality:)....said tongue in cheek!;)

I think the person who comes out of this deal the best is the guy from QPR who inserted the 20% sell on clause in the contract when they sold him to Liverpool. £10m from a player the sold 5 years ago.

I think the person who comes out of this deal the best is the guy from QPR who inserted the 20% sell on clause in the contract when they sold him to Liverpool. £10m from a player the sold 5 years ago.

I'd rather be Liverpool getting the £40m tbh.

£40m > £10m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd rather be Liverpool getting the £40m tbh.

£40m > £10m

No doubt the 40m is excellent business from Pool but QPR done sweet FA over the last 5 years to aid his development and will be getting a huge chunk of cash for it.

Very rarely a sell on fee like the above yields such a return so QPR have done pretty well from it regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

£40m > £10m

mind = blown

I'm going back to bed

CSF wrote: »
    This f*cking thread.

This ****ing post - if people think Sterling is worth 50 million - so be it - but I know which side of Manchester has done better business this weekend

BMJD wrote: »
    mind = blown

I'm going back to bed

Forget you read that. I wasnt supposed to say anything. It's inner circle only.

This ****ing post - if people think Sterling is worth 50 million - so be it - but I know which side of Manchester has done better business this weekend

Given that you were referring to this being the 'worst transfer ever', surely you'd be comparing this to other bad transfers, rather than obviously good ones like Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Etc

Etc

Etc

All of those that you mention were expensive but proved to be successful signings. They were already established players before the big money move. They lived up to their price tag and in relative terms were safe investments. Sterling is a massive gamble. I doubt he'll have the career that any of those you mentioned had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I find the argument that Sterling could turn out to be a brilliant player to be quite spurious at best. Sure, he might hit 50 goals a season for ten years and be considered a bargain at the price, but that still doesn't mean that today, here and now, this isn't an insane price for an unproven kid.

If I sign Messi for £5m, and he breaks his leg in the first game and has to retire, does that mean it was a bad decision to sign him? Of course not, the eventual outcome does not change that it was a bargain price in the first place.

This is the other end of the scale. If you vastly overpay for a player and he comes good, does that change history and now mean that it was always a good decision to overpay for him? Of course not. You take each decision on its merits

He will be the 11th most expensive player in football history having achieved sweet FA and looking just as likely to be the next Theo Walcott as he is to be the next Ronaldo. All things considered its far too much to pay for him and that will remain true no matter what happens in the future.

• Advertisement

Given that you were referring to this being the 'worst transfer ever', surely you'd be comparing this to other bad transfers, rather than obviously good ones like Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin?

I was actually wondering how long it would take for you to come in with the usual snarky comment

I find the argument that Sterling could turn out to be a brilliant player to be quite spurious at best. Sure, he might hit 50 goals a season for ten years and be considered a bargain at the price, but that still doesn't mean that today, here and now, this isn't an insane price for an unproven kid.

If I sign Messi for £5m, and he breaks his leg in the first game and has to retire, does that mean it was a bad decision to sign him? Of course not, the eventual outcome does not change that it was a bargain price in the first place.

This is the other end of the scale. If you vastly overpay for a player and he comes good, does that change history and now mean that it was always a good decision to overpay for him? Of course not. You take each decision on its merits

He will be the 11th most expensive player in football history having achieved sweet FA and looking just as likely to be the next Theo Walcott as he is to be the next Ronaldo. All things considered its far too much to pay for him and that will remain true no matter what happens in the future.
    He is 20. You're not paying for what he's achieved so far. You're paying for the obvious insane talent and potential that's there, you're paying for the fact that he'll likely be a starter for the team for around 10 years, with experience of the league and homegrown status.

I don't think 50 million is a realistic transfer fee compared to what's happened in years gone by. But if you look at transfer fees this summer for young players in attacking positions.

Depay for 25 who has no experience of England or any elite domestic league and doesn't have homegrown status or Firmino for 29 who is a clear class below in terms of potential, is 3 years older, no experience of English football and no homegrown status.

To me they all look comparatively similarly overpriced, which says more about the transfer window and market we are in then the relative transfer nous of each club, not withstanding the fact that City will always have to pay more.

I was actually wondering how long it would take for you to come in with the usual snarky comment

Apologies for applying logic.

Apologies for applying logic.

you always know best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He is 20. You're not paying for what he's achieved so far. You're paying for the obvious insane talent and potential that's there, you're paying for the fact that he'll likely be a starter for the team for around 10 years, with experience of the league and homegrown status.

I don't think 50 million is a realistic transfer fee compared to what's happened in years gone by. But if you look at transfer fees this summer for young players in attacking positions.

Depay for 25 who has no experience of England or any elite domestic league and doesn't have homegrown status or Firmino for 29 who is a clear class below in terms of potential, is 3 years older, no experience of English football and no homegrown status.

To me they all look comparatively similarly overpriced, which says more about the transfer window and market we are in then the relative transfer nous of each club, not withstanding the fact that City will always have to pay more.

But you could almost have bought both Firmino and Depay for the price of Sterling! There is simply nothing realistic about that fee, there is nothing that makes him double the price of one of the hottest talents in Europe.

• Advertisement

But you could almost have bought both Firmino and Depay for the price of Sterling! There is simply nothing realistic about that fee, there is nothing that makes him double the price of one of the hottest talents in Europe.

Which player are you talking about here? You could maybe make that statement for Depay, but I think it's pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Could they not have gone 1 more million? "49 million" just doesn't have the same impact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

How much Sterling could Raheem Sterling Sterling if Raheem Sterling could Sterling Sterling?

The answer is, of course, Andy Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Could they not have gone 1 more million? "49 million" just doesn't have the same impact!

Yeah - exactly. It was done to make Man City feel like they were getting a "bargain"!

49 isn't double of the 31 man utd paid (or will eventually pay) for depay but i digress

there is the english premium for one. last year man utd paid 32 million for shaw while liverpool paid 12 million for moreno, both played in the same position, both were young, had roughly around the same amount of experience, both were internationals but shaw went from nearly 3 times the price because he was english and had played in the premier league.

sterling has 3 full seasons of premier league football behind him whereas depay has never played in the league and the success rate of going from the dutch league to the premiership is 50/50 at best.

premier league clubs have their tails up because they know the rules now mean you need a certain amount of english talent in your squad to meet uefa requirements. any decent english talent under long term contract will be like goldust in the years to come...mark my words before the end of this decade there will be english players going from one premier league club to another for £100m, some of them with far less experience than sterling has now!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    49 isn't double of the 31 man utd paid (or will eventually pay) for depay but i digress

Utd didn't pay £31m for Depay. With additions his full price could go up to €31m or £22m.

Utd didn't pay £31m for Depay. With additions his full price could go up to €31m or £22m.

bbc state £31 million http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32730813 http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33114102

man utd paid 30 million euro for anderson back in 2007, finding it hard to believe nearly a decade later they paid less for depay http://web3.cmvm.pt/sdi2004/emitentes/docs/FR13758.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It's obviously an extraordinary transfer fee, but it could end up being a bargain. Who's to say if he has one or two good seasons with City (which he should do), Madrid won't try and snap him up in a fee reaching Bale territory, British tax and all that. You just don't know.

It's like people saying Di Maria was a waste of money. The guy was worth every penny when he arrived at United, sure he hasn't played well at the club but who's to say he won't be a top 5 player in the world again after the coming season. Football isn't clear cut like that, even as one of/the best players in the world, few would have argued Ronaldo was worth the fee Madrid paid for him but he clearly was worth that, worth a lot more than that. We'll have to just wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They are taking it well on Merseyside,the police are involved now.

2A7D9F7E00000578-3159065-image-a-15_1436781019961.jpg

2A7D9F7700000578-3159065-image-m-25_1436781377032.jpg

2A7D9F6800000578-3159065-image-a-18_1436781075723.jpg

2A7D9F7200000578-3159065-image-m-20_1436781201746.jpg

2A7D9F6E00000578-3159065-image-a-27_1436782732244.jpg
    2A7D9F6200000578-3159065-image-a-28_1436782801423.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Sad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement