Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Sterling transfer ever

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

NIMAN wrote: »
    I simply can't understand Man City is all of this.

They have unlimited wealth and if they wanted to could probably buy any player in the world. Messi excluded maybe.

Who at the club honestly think spending £50m on a totally unproven, trouble maker was a good idea?

Liverpool must be delighted in all of this. They got a great deal, and got rid of an average player and a potential trouble maker. Great business.

It's not a great deal for Liverpool unless the money is reinvested correctly. Selling your best player is never good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

NIMAN wrote: »
    I simply can't understand Man City is all of this.

They have unlimited wealth and if they wanted to could probably buy any player in the world. Messi excluded maybe.

Who at the club honestly think spending £50m on a totally unproven, trouble maker was a good idea?

Liverpool must be delighted in all of this. They got a great deal, and got rid of an average player and a potential trouble maker. Great business.

Its simple, City need a homegrown player just one who can add something to the squad, but he HAS to add something and cant just be a bench filler, we have unlimited funds, Sterling is the best available.

Also that unproven player made his England debut at 17, has better stats than ronaldo, bale and hazard at there age and was englands standout player at the world cup aged 19, was Liverpools main threat for a chunk of last season(pre contract dispute), is arguably the best young player in the world(actually a fact according to Rodgers) Not quite unproven....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

POKERKING wrote: »
    Its simple, City need a homegrown player just one who can add something to the squad, but he HAS to add something and cant just be a bench filler, we have unlimited funds, Sterling is the best available.

Also that unproven player made his England debut at 17, has better stats than ronaldo, bale and hazard at there age and was englands standout player at the world cup aged 19, was Liverpools main threat for a chunk of last season(pre contract dispute), is arguably the best young player in the world(actually a fact according to Rodgers) Not quite unproven....

You're 1st paragraph is accurate. You're 2nd paragraph is wishful thinking.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You're 1st paragraph is accurate. You're 2nd paragraph is wishful thinking.

Which bit in particular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

His potential wasn't what got him this move or priced him. It was the homegrown status. He'll be just another Richards, Rodwell, Sinclair goes to City thinking they are great. Crawl out a few years later much wealthier and maybe a few medals handed to them but **** all actually achieved.

His potential wasn't what got him this move or priced him. It was the homegrown status. He'll be just another Richards, Rodwell, Sinclair goes to City thinking they are great. Crawl out a few years later much wealthier and maybe a few medals handed to them but **** all actually achieved.

If potential wasn't important why didn't city just sign Lambert?

Probably would have saved 47m.

They obviously know nothing about football and way less than the average punter

Sinclair you are right about, Rodwell would of got games for city if he had of been fit....he rarely was.

And Richards was pivotal when we won the league and fa cup so thats just wrong.

If what you are saying is correct why not buy a 1million pound HG player? Put simply you are wrong, he was bought because he can make a difference to the team and will play and contribute and more than likely have some medals to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Your 2nd paragraph is a mixture of wishful thinking and inaccuracies.

Also that unproven player made his England debut at 17,

Doesn't mean much these days bar grossly adding to his price tag.
    has better stats than ronaldo, bale and hazard at there age
    Does he, if he goes on to have anything like the careers those have had I'll be surprised.
    and was englands standout player at the world cup aged 19, England's standout player

In a World cup where the only point they got was a draw with Costa Rica and got bombed out in the first Stage - outstanding. He was subbed off in the crucial game v Uruguay.
    was Liverpools main threat for a chunk of last season(pre contract dispute),

In a distinctly average season for that club - again outstanding.
    is arguably the best young player in the world(actually a fact according to Rodgers)

I doubt it and Rodgers would say that wouldn't he.
    Not quite unproven....

You could be right but I reckon you're more likely to be wrong about what he may go on to achieve. The point is for 50 million quid in sterling - even going by today's EPL transfer market and all considerations - you really should be getting more of a sure thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

CSF wrote: »
    Those idiots are everywhere on the internet unfortunately.
    It's easy to be brave when you are sitting at your computer screen and have the veil of anonymity to protect you. It's when people get offended by the things posted on Twitbook or friendface that baffles me. XYZ got death threats on the tweet machine, oh wait it turns out it was a 12 year old on his mother's iPad and not a North Korean led axis of evil carefully hatching an assassination attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Man City get to buy a HG player they want
    Liverpool get 40 mil
    qpr get 9-10
    Sterling gets 200k a week
    Ward gets 5 mill
    Everyones Happy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Man City get to buy a HG player they want
    Liverpool get 40 mil
    qpr get 9-10
    Sterling gets 200k a week
    Ward gets 5 mill
    Everyones Happy...

Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd see Man City overpaying for a player which reduces their bargaining power in the marketplace, see Liverpool lose another player once he comes good proving once again that Liverpool are not among the top places to go, meaning they are much happier.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Your 2nd paragraph is a mixture of wishful thinking and inaccuracies.

Doesn't mean much these days bar grossly adding to his price tag.

Does he, if he goes on to have anything like the careers those have had I'll be surprised.

In a World cup where the only point they got was a draw with Costa Rica and got bombed out in the first Stage - outstanding. He was subbed off in the crucial game v Uruguay.

In a distinctly average season for that club - again outstanding.

I doubt it and Rodgers would say that wouldn't he.

You could be right but I reckon you're more likely to be wrong about what he may go on to achieve. The point is for 50 million quid in sterling - even going by today's EPL transfer market and all considerations - you really should be getting more of a sure thing.

Wishful thinking and inaccuracies?

made his England debut at 17-Fact

has better stats than ronaldo, bale and hazard at there age-Fact i made no reference to there future career

Englands standout player at the world cup aged 19- i guess you could debate it, i thought this was pretty widely accepted that he was. Who was better? Just because England were **** doesnt mean my point is wrong.

Liverpools main threat for a chunk of last season(pre contract dispute)-slightly debatable between him and coutinho but pre dispute(march) he was at worse the second biggest threat but imo the main one.

arguably the best young player in the world(actually a fact according to Rodgers)- This is what Rodgers described him as, i think its fair enough to say that you could argue he the best young player in the world, nothing wishful thinking or inaccurate about that.

My point was hes not quite as unproven as people suggest. And the other main point is the price paid for Sterling(£44m plus add ons) is the going rate considering all the variables. Not that it really matters to me, at the end of the day im a fan not an accountant i just care about seeing great football and winning trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Don't forget character, he has lots of character.

Character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm sorry too - a plaything for the Super rich - where 20 million means nothing in world of recession - and supposed to be a game of the people

I was going to do up a thread with a post loosely around this to try and get a bit of debate going. I might try write something longer in the next few days but in short I'm not sure what I am supporting anymore. Torres to Chelsea, RVP to United, Lampard to City, Fabregas to Chelsea, Sterling to City. When I grew up watching football it just felt like the top clubs had an identity. United had that amazing era of the class of 92, Liverpool had Carra/Gerrard and even when Chelsea were becoming a force it was driven by the likes of Lampard/Terry.

All of those teams are starting to look very souless. Maybe I'm looking at things through rose tinted glasses, maybe the passion that burned within for following a silly game of kick ball is demisihing but it feels at least to me that football is in danger of jumping the shark.

Advertisement