Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

No need for spoilers is there?

Medhi looked so stiff. I could see him hurting Juicy but then no follow up, like he was afraid of getting into exchanges, just looking to land big singular shots. Juice looked like he didn't have much power but will be interesting to see his next fight. I couldn't see Medhi getting a shot in the UFC.

Great Banter between the lads. At first it was like Conor was **** stirring but low and behold, he nailed it and called out what was actually going on. Cody & Fili trying to be big boys against Conor, joke! Felt bad for Faber during all that but would be great if the whole thing led to a title shot with TJ when Cruz gets an inevitable injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Did conor tweet go team mcGregor, tune in tonight earlier?

If he did it usually means his man won.

He didn't so I'm guessing he lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Why the need for spoilers? The title says it..plus you can't see it on a iPad so it's a pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

that was like watching street fighter with two serious lookinf guys who keep throwing random sh1te at each other and one guy hitting the elbow button

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Spoilered before now because it was tricky to find somewhere to watch the episode for some reason, but yeah... I guess no need now.

If Medhi had spent less time going "yeah yeah that didn't hurt" and more time actually *hitting* his opponent he might have been in with a chance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What episode are you guys on now? Trying to gauge if I can pay full attention yet.
    We didn't skip so hopefully closed the gap. Episode 5 aired last night.

Discussion:
    As for episode 3 and Conor roaring at Sasha, I can't really side with Sasha on that one. His shooting for the TD in round 3 was terrible. Not just the fact he went for it, but the fact it was a poor lazy attempt imo. He gave up the fight from that point.
    My girlfriend was watching ito with me and she said he deserves to lose for that useless attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Mellor wrote: »
    What episode are you guys on now?

Episode 6 aired tonight on BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

European dude was robbed there i thought.

Just me or did some of the talking head pieces with Dana, McG and Faber seem like they were filmed at a later date maybe? The whole thing is just too perfect a promo piece for Faber TJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

When the whole Faber/TJ thing came out, I'm sure I heard Faber say the show is not shown in the order they shot it.

They shoot it and then edit it to make it more 'dramatic'.

I'd assume they do this with every season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That was disappointing to watch, I'd been looking forward to Mehdi's fight since him and Artem as that was a good scrap.

He seemed afraid to stay in close for long, juices shots didn't look like they were doing a whole lot of damage but there was a much higher volume of them landing which obviously looked better to the judges.

As for his level of Muay Thai, he looked very stiff and only really threw punches/a few elbows. Barely any kicks, think maybe one knee, He had a lot of opportunities to do a lot of damage but never really followed up, outcome was correct IMO.

Looking forward to Le now, he was very exciting to watch last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Disappointing fight from Medhi, thought he was going to demolish the other lad. Conor said before the fight that he needs a lot more movement and you can see watching the fight that movement is not part of his game. He bounced on his toes 3/4 times about 15 seconds into the fight and then was completely flat footed after that. Yea he got off some powerful looking shots but I didn't think he was in the fight at all and it was the correct result. I thought when Conor was saying about 3rd round or a win for Medhi that I must have been watching a different fight. I wanted to see a 3rd round simply because it was a good scrap.

I don't know whats been more dramatic this week the whole Faber/TJ episode or hollyoaks :D I thought Conor was just playing with Faber about it at the start but you could see Faber biting to some things and then went very quiet with the deer in highlights look at other things and Conor jumped all over it. I loved it :D TJ's a little bitch, he's struts in(I wish there were western style saloon doors in the TUF gym!) like he had something to say and then just stood there with a little muttered "We'll see" or something lol.

You could tell Faber & TJ were uneasy and obviously had conversations prior to this episode and neither of them were happy but all Faber(or tj) had to say was that all(or most) fighters train at differrent gyms, easy way to shut Conor up would be to accuse him straight back of switching gym's because he was out in Vegas.

Oh and congratulations for TJ's balls making an appearance when Conor was 40+ yards away lol "we'll not get tired" claimed Faber but no mention that either of them(or both as Conor said) would beat him lol

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

bur wrote: »
    European dude was robbed there i thought.

Just me or did some of the talking head pieces with Dana, McG and Faber seem like they were filmed at a later date maybe? The whole thing is just too perfect a promo piece for Faber TJ.
    Robbed?!

You ARE talking about episode 6 yeah? :)
    The American should have won all rounds on all judges cards... the only robbery was that some judge gave a 1:1 in rounds. It was embarrassing that McGregor thought his guy was robbed by the judges, he was never winning that fight and he would have been better served if his corner men had told him that after round 1.
    Shockingly bad performance and frankly toe-curling to watch the guy get picked apart on his feet looking for "one big elbow". He even rocked the American at one point but then decided that was too much like fighting and went back into full Muay Thai guard. God forbid he should land more than one blow at a time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I thought the first round was 50/50. Mehdi landed way bigger shots, rocked him a few elbows too. Round 2 he lost for sure. He wasn't active enough, so flat footed and he never started exchanges, he'd land a big shot then just go hide. You'd think he had an amateur boxing background compared to a muay thai one, through f*ck all kicks. He landed a few meaty roundhouse kicks but not nearly enough. How the hell was he a k1 world champ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DeVore wrote: »
    Robbed?!

You ARE talking about episode 6 yeah? :)
    The American should have won all rounds on all judges cards... the only robbery was that some judge gave a 1:1 in rounds. It was embarrassing that McGregor thought his guy was robbed by the judges, he was never winning that fight and he would have been better served if his corner men had told him that after round 1.
    Shockingly bad performance and frankly toe-curling to watch the guy get picked apart on his feet looking for "one big elbow". He even rocked the American at one point but then decided that was too much like fighting and went back into full Muay Thai guard. God forbid he should land more than one blow at a time. :)

While I don’t think Mehdi was robbed, you’re going way too far in the opposite direction. The American also didn’t put together too many combinations and his shots seemed to be a lot weaker. It was a simply a close fight that neither could really complain whatever the judge’s decision was.

It seems like fans and fighters are way too quick to throw around the term robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Foxtrol wrote: »
    While I don’t think Mehdi was robbed, you’re going way too far in the opposite direction. The American also didn’t put together too many combinations and his shots seemed to be a lot weaker. It was a simply a close fight that neither could really complain whatever the judge’s decision was.

It seems like fans and fighters are way too quick to throw around the term robbery.

Careful mate. You should know well enough by now, you can torn to shreds round here for talking too much sense.

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Definitely a very close fight. I think majority or split decision either way could have been justified. Medhi was throwing the bigger shots and was more aggressive, in the first round at least. Julian seemed slow to settle in but he seemed to be fighting smarter and throwing more shots. He took over half way through the second round. Him winning the first round was debatable though.

To be fair though, I can't agree with Dana's thinking that Medhi was one of the favourites after he struggled to beat Artem. Can't wait to see Artem get eliminated, he's doing himself no favours by being cocky and so irritating when he doesn't deserve to be there twice over.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Edit: Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Is there another week off this week? Can't see it on the sky planner again....

The phrase is "significant strikes". You cant tell me that Juices strikes weren't "significant". After that it doesn't matter how hard Medhi was hitting, there isn't a meter in their gloves you know :)

If you think that fight was in any way close... I dunno what to say. I guess we're both entitled to our opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The phrase is "significant strikes". You cant tell me that Juices strikes weren't "significant". After that it doesn't matter how hard Medhi was hitting, there isn't a meter in their gloves you know :)

If you think that fight was in any way close... I dunno what to say. I guess we're both entitled to our opinions.

And it only took 31000 posts to workout how a discussion works.

• Advertisement

I agree, with about minute to go in 2nd round I said I wanted to see a 4rd round, but then I copped on that I really just wanted a good fight to continue and I was kinda hoping Mehdi could maybe get a KO in the 3rd. I would have then been gutted for the other lad because I thought he won the 1st 2 rounds. 1st round was close enough until about 1m30-2mins left when he landed a lovely front kick right on mehfi's chin, that for me put him ahead and nothing significant came back from Mehdi the rest of that round except more plodding forward flat footed

* I'm watching this fights wanting the European lads to win, but even with that I didn't think Mehdi deserved more than a 2rd lose

I wanted a third round too because I wanted to see Medhi get his head in the game and stop covering up before he even got hit. I wanted him to win (EU and all that) But realistically it would have been unfair on Juices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Is there another week off this week? Can't see it on the sky planner again....

Still no sign of it, looks like another week off...

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Devastator wrote: »
    easy way to shut Conor up would be to accuse him straight back of switching gym's because he was out in Vegas.
    Conor brought his entire camp and usual training partners to Vegas with him... it was basically SBG on tour...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

TUF isnt on this week but this is the last break. the rest of the season will run until the end without any more gap weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

There's a load of fights left, they'll have 2 fights per week soon I imagine with the finale in 5 weeks time? :-/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

looks like a bit of infighting in the american camp in next week's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Artem seems like a lovely chap but he comes across in interviews the same way he does in the ring. No personality.

Spoilered before now because it was tricky to find somewhere to watch the episode for some reason, but yeah... I guess no need now.

If Medhi had spent less time going "yeah yeah that didn't hurt" and more time actually *hitting* his opponent he might have been in with a chance. :)

and again its missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It's on the Swedish TV station's website for anybody in Sweden... ahem...

http://www.tv4play.se/program/the-ultimate-fighter?video_id=3215615

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Has he tweeted go team mcGregor yet?

Usually an indication whether his fighter one or not.

i enjoyed that

Well... that was pretty cool.

**SPOILERS** (duh!)

The classic "striker vs grappler" is what it was billed as and I guess it was in large part. I would like to see Thanh again, he is an interesting and dynamic striker. I felt a bit sorry for him that he was basically dominated on the ground by a far superior ground fighter. Tough fight for Thanh because he had to cover the distance to close with his opponent and that risked being taken down. Svenson on the other hand, looked pretty sloppy on his feet (to be fair, he looked hesitant because boy can Thanh unleash!). On the ground he was pretty technical and proficient it looked like.

What else was in it? Oh, it would seem Americans still cant drink :)
    Artem is up next week... I think he's probably lucky in a sense that Conor gets to pick his opponent because he is getting a standup war which should suit his style. I hope he shows more talent than the last time (I actually believe he has it), but this is make or break for Artem now... he cant afford a boring fight or a loss as his card is already marked.

Well... that was pretty cool.

**SPOILERS** (duh!)

The classic "striker vs grappler" is what it was billed as and I guess it was in large part. I would like to see Thanh again, he is an interesting and dynamic striker. I felt a bit sorry for him that he was basically dominated on the ground by a far superior ground fighter. Tough fight for Thanh because he had to cover the distance to close with his opponent and that risked being taken down. Svenson on the other hand, looked pretty sloppy on his feet (to be fair, he looked hesitant because boy can Thanh unleash!). On the ground he was pretty technical and proficient it looked like.

What else was in it? Oh, it would seem Americans still cant drink :)
    Artem is up next week... I think he's probably lucky in a sense that Conor gets to pick his opponent because he is getting a standup war which should suit his style. I hope he shows more talent than the last time (I actually believe he has it), but this is make or break for Artem now... he cant afford a boring fight or a loss as his card is already marked.

Don’t think he has too much of an issue of being boring once it’s kept standing up it’ll be better than the yank blanket (as per the cause of the drunken fight).

Fighter and the kid podcast guys were on the aftershow and were pretty funny and it was interesting to get the take of an ex contestant. Schaub ripped it into the americans for not taking the competition seriously compared to the europeans, between their drinking and dress up. Callen spent most of his time making fun of their Nos showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Artems line at the end caught me off guard, overshadowed everything else in the fight.

Great finish by Svenson. Just as Conor was shouting, nice and patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Your man julian is a wanker and literally a knob head. Chris is just weird and dont think hes the full shilling

Thanh Le shown up as bit of a one trick pony perhaps? Svensson lorded it over him on the ground.

I think "one trick pony" is a little harsh. He wasn't brilliant on the ground for sure, but he wasn't completely awful either. He just looked like he was in the wrong weight class versus the Swede. TBH, I wasn't much impressed with Svenson's standup. I know he was up against a very talented striker but he looked flat footed and slow. If he comes up against someone with better takedown defense I don't see it going his way so easily. I will make this prediction, Thanh Le has a brighter future in the UFC proper than Svenson does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This weeks show was brought to you by an energy drink!

Artem got a funny. . .kinda

• Advertisement

I think "one trick pony" is a little harsh. He wasn't brilliant on the ground for sure, but he wasn't completely awful either. He just looked like he was in the wrong weight class versus the Swede. TBH, I wasn't much impressed with Svenson's standup. I know he was up against a very talented striker but he looked flat footed and slow. If he comes up against someone with better takedown defense I don't see it going his way so easily. I will make this prediction, Thanh Le has a brighter future in the UFC proper than Svenson does.

Dont think we'll see either guy making UFC grade to be honest. If Svensson loses in the next round he might get a fight in the finale but only to fill out the card.

All out grapplers and wrestlers have much more longevity in the UFC than all out strikers like Le. He was totally bossed on the ground. He actually made Svensson look good at times by allowing to transition from mount to side control to back control and all the way back again.

Svenson is good to be fair and he has been in with a few decent guys, but anyone thinking they can cut the mustard in the UFC should be making short work of him.

And if you think Le was 'in the wrong weight class', I actually think Svensson usually fights at 145!! :-)

I can definitely see Le getting a fight on the finale undercard against one of the brawlers. Guaranteed highlight reel.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I can definitely see Le getting a fight on the finale undercard against one of the brawlers. Guaranteed highlight reel.
    Yeah I can see this happening because Dana has a hardon for flashy strikers and to be fair, it makes for highlight reel stuff. I'd watch that fight (wouldn't you?!).

his striking is dynamic and as a striker with no ground game i've been told that the ground game is physical chess while the striking is about natural ability
    so as shorty told him he needs to embrace the ground game
    i think its harder to become a good striker
    as usual its my opinion and if if wrong i'm open to debate

Yeah I can see this happening because Dana has a hardon for flashy strikers and to be fair, it makes for highlight reel stuff. I'd watch that fight (wouldn't you?!).

fcuk yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

I found that a bit of a frustrating watch to be honest, I can appreciate Svenson's BJJ skills but thought his lack of stand up & unwillingness to engage on the feet was embarrassing, at times I thought he looked like the 1 trick pony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Does anyone know how Artem does? I'm presuming he must actually win at least one fight on it considering his tweets once the show started filming (paraphrasing but something like "I'm not a prospect anymore, it was a great chapter") but if anyone knows for sure fire me a PM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Paully D wrote: »
    Does anyone know how Artem does? I'm presuming he must actually win at least one fight on it considering his tweets once the show started filming (paraphrasing but something like "I'm not a prospect anymore, it was a great chapter") but if anyone knows for sure fire me a PM.

The tweet you are referring to was just when he changed his twitter handle, nothing to do with TUF

https://twitter.com/RusHammerMMA/status/641009972181114881

:rolleyes: Americans and their games. Why not just drink instead of making it into a game and being told when you can drink? :mad: Then giving a golden shower as a celebration.....WTF? (I'm presuming that nos is same colour as red bull lol)

I didn't think the fight was great and I don't think either will do too much damage if they get into the UFC.
    Paully D wrote: »

Couple of people already posted in another thread weeks ago about his outcome....without spoiler tags of course :rolleyes: I'm not spreading it on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thought it was a great episode. Only downside was the drunkenness, which was cringeworthy.

Yeah, spoilers for episodes that have aired are ok, but best not post spoilers for up coming episodes. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement