Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Devastator wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Americans and their games. Why not just drink instead of making it into a game and being told when you can drink? :mad: Then giving a golden shower as a celebration.....WTF? (I'm presuming that nos is same colour as red bull lol)

I didn't think the fight was great and I don't think either will do too much damage if they get into the UFC.

Couple of people already posted in another thread weeks ago about his outcome....without spoiler tags of course :rolleyes: I'm not spreading it on though.

I know which posts you're on about, trust me, nothing was spoiled. It was absolute speculation at best, based on rumours on tweets, which ultimately proved nothing. All that was spoiled was the very first week of the show, about five weeks after it aired. Not having a go at you or anything, it's just frustrating you can't see that nothing was spoiled for you, and I'm sorry if you didn't see the first week of the show, I just assumed it didn't need spoiler-tagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

martyos121 wrote: »
    I know which posts you're on about, trust me, nothing was spoiled. It was absolute speculation at best, based on rumours on tweets, which ultimately proved nothing. All that was spoiled was the very first week of the show, about five weeks after it aired. Not having a go at you or anything, it's just frustrating you can't see that nothing was spoiled for you, and I'm sorry if you didn't see the first week of the show, I just assumed it didn't need spoiler-tagging.

It was not the posts that people were talking about the previous episode, that was aired the night or 2 before.

Someone(at least) made separate posts, at a different time, giving giving away the result of Artem's appearance on the whole of TUF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just saw the trailer for next weeks episode, two fights, Conor doesn't even bother to show up on time to see Atrem fight... Ah lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Good episode but poor fight, wasn't impressed by either fighter. Le looks good standing but fairly clueless when it went to the ground but feel he can improve more than Svensson

Svensson although he got the win was more disappointing for me, he did nothing in the 1st round, it was lay and pray at its worst. He didn't look to do any damage or work submissions.

Next week should be good with 2 fights, McGregor & Faber seem to get on very well which for me makes better TV than some of the fake tension in previous seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Artems line at the end caught me off guard, overshadowed everything else in the fight.

Great finish by Svenson. Just as Conor was shouting, nice and patient.

"I don't want to be remembered as the guy who wore a stupid bandana with a penis drawn on it. "
    Poetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Wow. Very nice performance from artem. Really nice strikes and dominated from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Wow artrem just smashed him up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Great show this week. Both fights were entertaining

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great fight by Artem, he really leathered into the guy. My concern is that he showed slack hands again (when *McGregor* is telling you to get your hands up, you know its bad :) ). I like Artem and I hope he continues but I worry that he isn't well rounded. No one can deny he deserves a place in the house now.
    (could someone mush him and Pendred together into one fighter... they would be beast-mode :) )

The second fight was a total war! But I really thought the ref was bent. How many times do you have to tell a guy to defend intelligently and fight back before you step in... right result but it should have been a stoppage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Great episode! Pleasantly surprised by Artem. You could see from his first fight that he had good stand up skills, but his shot selection was poor and he was too wild. Much more polished display last night, countered very well and really showed off his boxing skills...lit the guy up. Hands down was a huge annoyance for me though, you would hope against a better striker he wouldn't be as careless. Like Devore said above though, not sure how well rounded he is.

Second fight was a weird one. To me, the American guy still looked OK when he was getting pummeled (when he manged to get back up he didn't seem in bad shape), but he took a massive risk in taking all those shots (twice). Another ref would have stopped it. So on one hand you could say the ref did a good job, but on the other hand if he had ended up seriously injured it would have been an absolute travesty that it wasn't stopped. Very subjective.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Any overriding reasons why Artem's pro record is pretty unimpressive? Haven't followed his career enough but he's got 11 wins and 10 losses: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Artem-Lobov-73700

Incidentally, one of the losses was to Saul Rogers (who looks a beast in TUF) and beat Martin Svensson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ekels wrote: »
    Any overriding reasons why Artem's pro record is pretty unimpressive? Haven't followed his career enough but he's got 11 wins and 10 losses: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Artem-Lobov-73700

Incidentally, one of the losses was to Saul Rogers (who looks a beast in TUF) and beat Martin Svensson.

He found it very hard to get fights, people would always pull out on him and wouldn't take the fight resulting in hin taking fights on very short notice and being very short notice replacement just to actually get fights. He's a legend, nice guy aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Ekels wrote: »

Seemingly from what I've heard noone wanted to fight him so he took a lot of fights on short notice and at weird weights

EDIT:beaten to it...feck

also, was weird the way they didnt make anything of faber bringing don frye in to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Very good episode with two very good fights

Fair dues to Artem, he seems a bit boring, but a nice chap and a solid fighter. Can only improve really - if he tightened up a few things he'd be very polished

Second fight - wtf was with the ref there - twice the American was on the ground taking multiple headshots, Sweede was looking at the ref on both occasions, interesting to see the other fighter allowed to fight on but in most MMA fights I've seen, those would have been called nigh on straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Anyone else get stung by BT sports inept scheduling? F*ck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

dulux99 wrote: »
    Anyone else get stung by BT sports inept scheduling? F*ck sake.

I was just about to air my dismay, the recording just cut off at the start of the 2nd round of the fight. No idea how it finished yet, Swedish guy should have went for sub in the first round instead of slapping the guy's shoulder and looking for the ref to step in.

Quality from Artem. His overconfidence did have me concerned for him at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

theteal wrote: »
    I was just about to air my dismay, the recording just cut off at the start of the 2nd round of the fight. .

Same with mine. A college football game must have gone long before it and that took up a lot of the recording. Pain in the hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Never mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man some lovely counter bombs from from Artem, the finishing blow was just class. Hands down was so annoying and like Dev said when Conor tells you hands up, then you know it's bad. Lol at Gunni and Conor traipsing in and Conor giving out they wouldn't wait for him.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Conor giving out that they wouldn't wait for him is an absolute joke; who was sermonising only a few episodes ago about the lads "taking care of their own business". Its his responsibility to be on time and blaming others is a sign of immaturity. Complaining they wouldn't wait for him is straight up rude after being over 30 minutes late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Great stuff from Artem. Low hands was silly but the confidence was flowing. Landed some beautiful shots and the finish was perfect. He completely dominated. Didn't expect a performance like that. I like Artem, there's something very innocent about him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

moneyman wrote: »
    Great stuff from Artem. Low hands was silly but the confidence was flowing. Landed some beautiful shots and the finish was perfect. He completely dominated. Didn't expect a performance like that. I like Artem, there's something very innocent about him.

Your man Jenkins in his blog seems to talk highly of Artem as a good guy to be around and says this doesn't come across on the tele

Yeah really recommend reading jenkins blog. Mad to hear 1st hand experience of TJ being a gowl in training. Also, his account of the double vision and not being able to shake it, man Artem was throwing bombs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Delighted for Artem! :D His hands down style is in no way, shape or form sustainable though. I was screaming at the TV for him to keep his hands up for most of the fight.

If he doesn't progress all the way through I'm sure he'll get a shot on the finale card now against someone who will stand and bang with him as he is certainly entertaining. Thanh Le or a rematch with Mehdi Baghdad perhaps. It'd be cool especially with McGregor and Gunnar being involved that weekend too.

He has a good opportunity to win a contract now, either via the show or via a good performance on his inevitable shot on the finale card if not.

Didn't he say in the blog that Artem fractured his orbital?

think so yeah as that's why he missed the fight the next day

does anyone know how many days are between fights usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Have to say, Artem was really making me not like him the way he came across in the last few episodes so it's nice to see come across well in the last episode as well as getting an entertaining victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Artem is a lovely fella.

If you look at him he has quite small arms so almost always has a reach disadvantage.

He keeps his hands low to invite the shots and then counters off them. You could see almost all of the shots he landed in the last fight were counters. It is a high risk style but can work well against non elite strikers.

• Advertisement

It does also give him defense against takedowns, which is good since I don't think he has much of a ground game (does he?)... but still, I think its more that he (and Paddy and Cathal) have been watching and training too much with Conor and try to ape his style. The thing with Conor is that he is a *superb* boxer. Technically excellent! He performs text book slips and hooks, has a wide wide range of strikes in his arsenal and has head movement that seems snakelike. His striking off his back foot is very good too meaning he can afford to sting his opponent a few times then step back and catch him with a left hook on the retreat. If you don't have that innate talent then its going to be a difficult task to repeat his results with his approach.

Artem DOES seem to be a good counter puncher and of them all, he seems to understand how Conor pulls this style off but his head movement isn't nearly as good and his punches are bombs rather than snappy lefts, nice if they land but against a well rounded striker? I dunno... I wouldn't like to see Artem against Thanh Le for example, I think he gets a shin to the head and its over pretty quick. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I've been thinking this since I seen the trailer last week, but does it look like McGregor is throwing a fit because one of his lads is being cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I've been thinking this since I seen the trailer last week, but does it look like McGregor is throwing a fit because one of his lads is being cut?

I’d say Faber is (understandably) making a case for one of the Europeans to be cut and McGregor is having none of it. As we all know he’s not really known to make his points in a relaxed manner.

Unless the last fight is won by the European and is incredibly boring from what I remember I cant see there being much justification for one of the European winners to be dropped. The only factor that may go against them is trying to even out the mix of USA vs European fighters.

Yeah the last euro fighter must grind his way to victory add the Americans have had more boring wins

Yer man who wanted to start a fight last week (dreddlocked looking guy?)... he should be sent home. Boring lay-n-pray artist. Even his team said it lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

For anyone recording tonight, make sure to record the programs listed after it too. I got stung last week and my recording was mostly American Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CatFromHue wrote: »
    think so yeah as that's why he missed the fight the next day

does anyone know how many days are between fights usually?

6 weeks, 15 fights,
    Works out a 2 fights a week. With some double fights certain weeks, ie last weeks fights were back to back days. The quarters/semis will probably double up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd say it's between Gritz and Martin the Swedish dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I kinda feel sorry for Faber in some of these exchanges, although they are funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

A lot if filler in that latest episode.
    Handy for any coaches that may want to drop melons from the rafters into the octagon though, (As soon as Dana introduces that as a legal tactic of course.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Hall vs Saul should be a cracker of a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Pretty embarrassing stuff from McGregor and Faber I thought.
    Great win for Abner, he was getting hurt on the feet there for a bit and i thought he was about to wilt. Please smash that pleb Julian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Hall vs Saul should be a cracker of a fight.

Yeah I think so too, I see Saul being to strong for Ryan though. He will absolutely keep the distance and sprawl like mad anytime Ryan goes anywhere near the mat.

Artem getting a bit of special treatment?

I see an Artem v Saul finale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

absolutely no interest in ever seeing him fight again but at the same time you gotta feel for him...hes probably back in though by the looks of the preview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

These late night college football games are screwing up my recordings of TUF. Yet again this week the first 30 minutes is taken up with the end of a football game. Missing the second half of the show entirely.

These late night college football games are screwing up my recordings of TUF. Yet again this week the first 30 minutes is taken up with the end of a football game. Missing the second half of the show entirely.

Same here, it's ridiculous stuff. Mine went just to the very end of the fight, didn't get anything after that including the winner being announced, but it was obvious enough.

Could someone post the matchups? Don't feel like watching it all the way through again tonight since I missed only the last part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lots of filler alright, but it was never going to live up to last weeks episode with two fights so how bad

Interesting match ups - I have Saul as favourite to win but Ryan is very dangerous & could cause an upset, I like Marcin alot thought, would like to see him go far, fingers crossed he will

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

martyos121 wrote: »
    Same here, it's ridiculous stuff. Mine went just to the very end of the fight, didn't get anything after that including the winner being announced, but it was obvious enough.

Could someone post the matchups? Don't feel like watching it all the way through again tonight since I missed only the last part.

AFAIR its:

Artem v Svensson

Saul v Hall

Abner v Julian (I think thats his name, tall USA guy that beat Medhi)

Marcin v David (Again I'm not sure of the name here, but he's the european guy that fought last week and beat Johnny Nunes)

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    AFAIR its:

Artem v Svensson

Saul v Hall

Abner v Julian (I think thats his name, tall USA guy that beat Medhi)

Marcin v David (Again I'm not sure of the name here, but he's the european guy that fought last week and beat Johnny Nunes)

Thanks, look like good fights to me. Not sure how they agreed on fights, but if the ball was in Conor's court, I would've swapped Abner with Svensson to give him the best chance of having four in the semis.

My prediction for the final four is Artem, Saul, Julian and Marcin. Saul vs. Hall is a toss up though, could go either way depending on where the action is.

Advertisement