Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hall seemed tiny in that fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Digitalism wrote: »
    Oh really? Tell me more wise one
    He sprawled on the double leg takedown, not on the 50-50????
    Did you even watch the fight?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hall seemed tiny in that fight

Yeah not a 155lb fighter. He fought lighter that in BJJ, that's without a weight cut. He'll prob be at FW on the finale, maybe even BW in future.

Delighted for Artem. But agree with comments he needs to tidy it up a bit. Conor gets away with the open hands counter punching because he's backing it up with strikimg finesse not just a big left.

Saul did a great job. Keep his composure and never tried to rush in. I thought he might have been tied up when in guard but he made space and got out of there. By the second round Ryan's takedown's were feeble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ryan Hall is an absolute gent. Met him out at SBG when he was over and he nothing but helpful. His heel hook (and jiujitsu in general) is wicked. Like a vice on your whole foot when he gets it locked up. (Mind you, I hadn't a clue what to do either way!)

He'll be a force if his striking can get to be half of what his jiujitsu is. Even with Saul dominating the fight, Hall came agonisingly close to a triangle with such ease in setting it up. More of that please!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    His heel hook (and jiujitsu in general) is wicked. Like a vice on your whole foot when he gets it locked up. (Mind you, I hadn't a clue what to do either way!)

I got one of his DVDs recently. So far I'm only about 30mins into the 3hrs but it's eye opening stuff. If he can break down he striking game to half that level he'll be fine. He's in the right gym for it too imo.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Slight Aside:
    I never understood when proponents of one martial art get all negative about others (it happens rarely in here, but much more so on the wider web... maybe its because by its very nature MMA instils appreciation for the other art forms?).
    I have recently started watching Rener Gracie's breakdowns. I've never rolled on a mat with anyone, Muay Thai is my thing, but watching his breakdowns is just awesome. Its the same with watching Hall... he's obviously brilliant at BJJ, its enjoyable just to sit back and watch him work. He did a transition from one leg lock to another (Conor pointed it out in the interview afterwards) that was just.... WUT?! HOWDIDODAT?!

I'd like to see more of Hall in action myself, probably at a lower weightclass I reckon too. Also, if you want to see BJJ explained for people like me (the hard-of-brain), check out Rener Gracies breakdowns, they're good!

Yeah the Gracie breakdowns of UFC events are good. As are Firas Zahabi's
    If Gunni v Maia becomes a grappling match, I imagine both will release a breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

This sounds like it could be a good video but unfortunately my browser's been actin the ballix and anytime I try to watch a youtube video it freezes and eventually crashes about 2 mins in :mad:

The story goes that some drunk idiot got upset and started threatening after he was informed Hall & friends couldn't offer him a lighter because they didn't smoke :eek: People get upset over the most ridiculous things nowadays but to steal a pulp fiction line he "picked the wrong....to f**k with" that day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

DeVore wrote: »
    ently started watching Rener Gracie's breakdowns. I've never rolled on a mat with anyone, Muay Thai is my thing, but watching his breakdowns is just awesome.

Never trained any combat sport in my life and find the Gracie Breakdown great watching. He's just so enthusiastic about everything, he's great.

The breakdown after UFC189 he was so excited it was actually hilarious at points.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Was there a TUF episode last night or is it tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Was there a TUF episode last night or is it tonight?

Tonight, 3AM our time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Artem must surely be fancied for a place in the final now. If he can close the distance with Erosa, he could do some serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watching the first fight without anyone cheering along or people cornering them was a weird experience.

Another solid episode, thought both decisions were wrong though. David's ground striking was excellent, those elbow from the bottom looked deadly at one point, should've gone to a third round.

Abner's striking was much crisper than Julian's, I think the cut weighed too heavily on the minds of the judges in favour of Julian. Hopefully Artem smashes him, can't stand the buck at all.

I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw José at the end in the preview to next week's episode. Didn't see that coming at all, Conor's reaction was just brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Next week will be a cracker :D I'll be in Vegas so dunno when/if I'll get to see it, will probably see the finale before I see the semis :D

• Advertisement

Ngggh... I have a bad feeling for Artem versus that ... guy. :)
    I would love to seem him knock him dafuk out but wouldn't we have heard if Artem made the finals? ... he IS in Vegas I guess but that could be for any number of reasons... God, cant wait for next week. 'Mon Artem!

Ngggh... I have a bad feeling for Artem versus that ... guy. :)
    I would love to seem him knock him dafuk out but wouldn't we have heard if Artem made the finals? ... he IS in Vegas I guess but that could be for any number of reasons... God, cant wait for next week. 'Mon Artem!

In fairness, the UFC has always done an impeccable job of keeping the results of TUF under wraps. I can't recall any instance where it's been spoiled before the finale, but I haven't been watching it since series 1 so that may have happened.

Based on his performances during the season, I'd be more inclined to think Artem is in the finale, but I've absolutely no concrete knowledge of that. He's definitely on the TUF finale card at least, Conor already said that much.

Oh I think Artem can win that fight for sure... I'm just looking at the surrounding information (and now beginning to think maybe I shouldn't :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

In fairness, the UFC has always done an impeccable job of keeping the results of TUF under wraps. I can't recall any instance where it's been spoiled before the finale, but I haven't been watching it since series 1 so that may have happened.

Based on his performances during the season, I'd be more inclined to think Artem is in the finale, but I've absolutely no concrete knowledge of that. He's definitely on the TUF finale card at least, Conor already said that much.

I have been told the threats of legal/financial action against the fighters is huge. Let alone ever fighting in the UFC.

Would be enough to keep anyone quiet. I think everyone who works on the show is a UFC employee so they keep it trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Saul - Artem final I think.

Id have Saul favourite the overall favourite now.

• Advertisement

Me too (think I said it on here as well)... he seems the smartest fighter in there in terms of fight IQ. If he fights Artem you can bet he wont walk into a barnburner with Artem, he'll stay at range and win a points decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

shano_88 wrote:
    Saul - Artem final I think.

They've fought brfore, I believe it's on YouTube. Good fight too, both fighters fooked by the end of it. Saul won but not by a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Think Gunni might have let something slip is him and artems media scrum, he said he believes in artems night fight his opponent will be waking up looking at herb Dean, seems a bit percise with the ref etc....

They've fought brfore, I believe it's on YouTube. Good fight too, both fighters fooked by the end of it. Saul won but not by a lot

Artem was very unlucky to be on the wrong end of the spit decision last time they met. Having seen their previous fight I would honestly fancy Artem to win against Saul if the squared off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Slight Aside:
    I never understood when proponents of one martial art get all negative about others (it happens rarely in here, but much more so on the wider web... maybe its because by its very nature MMA instils appreciation for the other art forms?).
    I have recently started watching Rener Gracie's breakdowns. I've never rolled on a mat with anyone, Muay Thai is my thing, but watching his breakdowns is just awesome. Its the same with watching Hall... he's obviously brilliant at BJJ, its enjoyable just to sit back and watch him work. He did a transition from one leg lock to another (Conor pointed it out in the interview afterwards) that was just.... WUT?! HOWDIDODAT?!

I'd like to see more of Hall in action myself, probably at a lower weightclass I reckon too. Also, if you want to see BJJ explained for people like me (the hard-of-brain), check out Rener Gracies breakdowns, they're good!

Rener and his brothers are fantastic coaches too. I was in cali for a month a year and a bit ago and trained at the academy for a few weeks, really nice guys and super welcoming of visitors, wouldn't take money from me for the first week either, which I was surprised about.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Really can't stand that Erosa guy. Thought his insults and goading towards Chris Gritz was disgusting and needless. Also can't stand that face he makes walking out and the way he moves his lower body in stand-up.

Feeling an Artem and Saul final too with a Saul win. That guy seems to be more capable all-round but I think Artem will still have a UFC fight under his belt by the time 2016 is over.

martyos121 wrote: »

https://youtu.be/kAmmWOazboc?t=19m10s

This is where Conor confirms that Artem will be fighting at the TUF finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ekels wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/kAmmWOazboc?t=19m10s

This is where Conor confirms that Artem will be fighting at the TUF finale.

There'll be 4 or 5 fights with contestants on that card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I wonder if wanting to keep the Team Europe v Team USA angle going during this coming week play into that Erosa decision at all? I completely disagreed with it. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Artem KO'ing him next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I thought Eroza deserved to go through. Abnar is a good boxer but he has no gas tank, he tired in all his fights. No pop in his punches either, he was landing straight lefts at will but they all just seemed to be glancing blows after the first round.

I actually thought the first fight should have gone to a 3rd round though, that second round was so poor, some of the worst grappling on display so far.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I thought it was a poor fight. Abnar had good technique but only to the extent that power had deserted him. 'Juicy J' did a decent job of evading and absorbing all that Abnar through at him and I don't think Abnar inflicted enough harm to be deemed the winner.

On the other hand, Teymur seemed to be inflicting a lot of damage with his kicks in the first fight and Marcin slogged it out well but I think a 3rd round was the best call.

I think Saul and Artem will both be signed up by the UFC. Saul is a serious operator and Dana has that ****-eating grin every time he speaks about Artem. There's room for an Irish fighter in the UFC and Artem is a powerful striker and likes to talk. He handles the media excellently in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C1dzdnzYrI (love the Dublin accent by Gunnar in this, by the way. Right down to how he pronounces 'but' as 'buh'). Very interesting to note he was responsible for the only 2 knockouts so far in TUF. Again, Dana will give him a shot on that basis, I think.

Erosa is a clown and Marcin is good all-round but a big of a slogger really. Don't think either of them will be picked up the UFC.

Jesus could someone just, you know, calm Gunni down? He's just going fncking wild in that video. The raw energy off him... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The hypocrisy of Coach Kavanagh deriding Joseph Duffy. Joseph Duffy is in the UFC because of Conor. Artem is there because of ...

I don't find Artem interesting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Duffy isn't flowy enough for Bainisteoir Kavanagh. No but seriously you can't expect him to promote someone who embarrassed his star pupil in fairness. In recent interviews he has been complimentary of Duffy so maybe he no longer has a chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I disliked Artem at the start, thought he was a clown. The more the show has gone on and from videos online I actually really like him. Seems like a nice lad and very funny. 4 of us were watching the last episode on friday night and we were all in stitches with his comment at the end to Erosa. "Christmas is over, no more presents" literally lol'd.

hefferboi wrote: »
    I disliked Artem at the start, thought he was a clown. The more the show has gone on and from videos online I actually really like him. Seems like a nice lad and very funny. 4 of us were watching the last episode on friday night and we were all in stitches with his comment at the end to Erosa. "Christmas is over, no more presents" literally lol'd.

Ah yeah, he kinda shoots his mouth off to be like Conor but he showed balls telling Dana he wanted to fight Erosa and was the only contestant to approach Dana throughout the competition.

He's got a really dry sense of humour and I reckon he's a nice chap too. All the best to him.

Again, if he's coming up against Saul in the final then I can only see one winner but I'll be shouting for Artem.

Ah yeah, he kinda shoots his mouth off to be like Conor but he showed balls telling Dana he wanted to fight Erosa and was the only contestant to approach Dana throughout the competition.

Re: the bolded bit.

How do you know he was the only fighter to 'approach' Dana like this?

And to be honest I dont see anything ballsy about trying to get a fight with the weakest fighter left in the competition. I'm a huge supporter of Artem's but real balls would have been calling out Saul or Marcin, not Julian.

John_D80 wrote: »

And to be honest I dont see anything ballsy about trying to get a fight with the weakest fighter left in the competition. I'm a huge supporter of Artem's but real balls would have been calling out Saul or Marcin, not Julian.

I imagine fighting the guy from the U.S. Rather than a team mate is the preferred option. I don't rate Marcin too much either, consider either him or Julian to be about the same level.
    ASOT wrote: »
    Think Gunni might have let something slip is him and artems media scrum, he said he believes in artems night fight his opponent will be waking up looking at herb Dean, seems a bit percise with the ref etc....
    What does that let slip? Has it been confirmed herb is ref'ing the final?

Off to the books I go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    I imagine fighting the guy from the U.S. Rather than a team mate is the preferred option. I don't rate Marcin too much either, consider either him or Julian to be about the same level.

What does that let slip? Has it been confirmed herb is ref'ing the final?

Off to the books I go :D

Well if he's refing artems semi final I'd be fairly confident he kocks him out then, that's what I was getting at!

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Well if he's refing artems semi final I'd be fairly confident he kocks him out then, that's what I was getting at!
    Ah right, I assumed he was talking about his upcoming match up, not the semi.
    Have they announced the refs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

Heading to Vegas 2moro for the fight. Does anyone know when the TUF semi-finals episode will be airing in the States this week? I presume before the TUF final on friday. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Officer999 wrote: »
    Heading to Vegas 2moro for the fight. Does anyone know when the TUF semi-finals episode will be airing in the States this week? I presume before the TUF final on friday. Thanks

It's airing as normal at 3am here in Ireland on Wednesday night/thu morning so I'd imgine it will be on at 8pm local time in Vegas ( 7 hours behind right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Officer999 wrote: »

It's 10pm on the east coast so likely 7pm in Vegas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

So we do know if its 7 or 8? I hope to be into my hotel about 7:30 or 8 lol

Anyone know when the repeat is on and what channel is it on(Fox)? Do hotel rooms generally have this channel?

John_D80 wrote: »

Well, directly after his fights he did this.

I think Marcin and Julian are on the same level. Saul is a level above them. Calling out Julian meant fighting one of the Americans and given that his pal Conor is, effectively, up against Faber's team then I'm sure he'd have liked to be the one to banish the Americans from the competition.

• Advertisement

Well, directly after his fights he did this.

I think Marcin and Julian are on the same level. Saul is a level above them. Calling out Julian meant fighting one of the Americans and given that his pal Conor is, effectively, up against Faber's team then I'm sure he'd have liked to be the one to banish the Americans from the competition.

Yeah but just because he was the only one shown doing it doesn't mean he was the only one that did it (ie: calling someone out). They are in there for about 5 or 6 weeks. We only get shown a cumulative total of 11-12 hours of what went on in fairness.

Still dont think calling out Erosa had anything to do with him having balls. More like picking the easiest route to the final and certainly doubt it was out of any sense of loyalty to 'Team Europe'. He's being smart if anything. Not ballsy. Conor would probably have welcomed the fight with Erosa, but only because its the easiest fight, not because he cares either way about a 'shut-out'.

For what its worth I think Artem beat Saul (despite being on the wrong end of the decision) the last time they met and will do so again if they meet in the final.

Marcin isn't the pushover some people seem to think he is either. His record speaks for itself, and is 100% credible in its own right. An Artem/Marcin final would not surprise me one bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

They have done well not letting the result get out I know someone who was on McGregors team and Dana brought them for dinner and he'd a lawyer there supposedly saying if anyone lets it slip this guy will be hunting you down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If anyone is looking for tickets to the TUF Finale on Friday there are more standing tickets gone on sale!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

It always surprised me why TUF seasons just stop suddenly and why they dont do a final episode to wrap things up other than the live fights?.
    I think there would be a lot of meat on the bone to hear contestants reflections on their time in the house and their future aspirations in the cold light of day. It could even be a docu type embedded sign off episode centered on the day of and after TUF finale and the immediate aftermath. A long table final meal in a restaurant and packing up and leaving the house would be covered. All main coaching staff comments on how the season went and a few bloopers or whatever. Guy wins TUF and other fights at a big ufc event there is nothing subsequent about it. Just seems a cold the way they finish the season on TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Episode 12 about to start :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement