Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently built a PC quick question about temperatures

Options
  • 13-07-2015 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey, so as per the title built my first ever PC a while ago. I'm into my gaming, and made the switch from console, so that's what I mainly use it for. I put my hand on the case the other evening and I thought it felt quite hot. I've been playing ARK: Survival Evolved and when I do play I spend quite some time per session anywhere between 3-6 hours. I downloaded CoreTemp just to see what it was running at and on idol with just Skype and browser running temperatures are in the mid 30°C. When I'm playing though they hit between 60-68°C, its gone over that once or twice into low 70°C. I'm just wondering is this kind of temperature going to cause damage to my PC or is this the norm for PC gaming? Especially if the game itself is demanding?

CPU - I5 4690 (using the stock cooler that came with the CPU)
    Graphics - MSI Geforce GTX 960

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is this GPU or CPU temperatures? Playing ARK its likely CPU I think.

Low 70s are fairly good for under pressure gaming, anything south of 80 is okay for GPU before it'll throttle, CPU goes to like 95 I believe.

So you're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nothing dangerous with those temperatures but if you want them lower, you can install a 3rd party cooler. Ark is extremely CPU intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KS1990

Sorry, reading back on it I realised I never said it was the CPU but yes that's what I was referring too. Thanks for the help, probably a stupid question but I'm still learning about PC's and building them. I appreciate the your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vade

ARK makes my PC get toasty warm as well, tempted to start using it to test the additions to the watercooling loop at this point. :)

Advertisement