Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work References

Options
  • 13-07-2015 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live abroad currently and I have done since 2012. I'm planning to move back to Ireland with my husband to be (we're getting married before moving back).

I've been looking at places in Dublin on daft to get an idea of what's out there and at what price. One thing that I've been noticing is that they require work references. Our plan is to move and then find work. We'll have plenty of savings to live on until we both find jobs but would this put a landlord off?

I have previous landlord references from about 2004-2009. My husband probably has references but he's from the US so I'm not sure if they would be any use anyway. We've been living in Asia so they can't really ring up any of our landlords from the past 3 years! :o

Will we have to take short term accommodation until we find jobs? Or do you think it's something that might not be a problem in reality?

It's hard to know and obviously all of my friends in Dublin are in full-time employment so don't have any experience with this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Maybe just be upfront and say you're only back in the country and you will be looking for a job, but that you have plenty of savings to live on in the meantime. What kind of work do you do? Would you have an idea of how quickly you will find work?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you can, find temporary accommodation, get the job, and then find a place to live, as you don't want to have to get multiple forms of transport to your job if you can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Lux23 wrote: »
    Maybe just be upfront and say you're only back in the country and you will be looking for a job, but that you have plenty of savings to live on in the meantime. What kind of work do you do? Would you have an idea of how quickly you will find work?

I'm hoping it won't take longer than 3 months. I've budgeted that we can live on our savings in Dublin without jobs for 6- 9 months but obviously that would be worse case scenario!!! :eek:
    the_syco wrote: »
    If you can, find temporary accommodation, get the job, and then find a place to live, as you don't want to have to get multiple forms of transport to your job if you can avoid it.

That's very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One thing you could try, though landlords may not go for it, is to pay four months upfront and include a clause in the lease which allows the landlord to automatically terminate it if a work reference doesn't appear by the end of the fourth month?

Messy I know, but many landlords would take your hand off for 4 months rent upfront and a get-out clause to terminate a fixed lease like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I'm hoping it won't take longer than 3 months. I've budgeted that we can live on our savings in Dublin without jobs for 6- 9 months but obviously that would be worse case scenario!!! :eek:

But what are you basing that 3 months on? What sector do you work in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Lux23 wrote: »
    But what are you basing that 3 months on? What sector do you work in?

Retail management or education (probably not as I've totally lost my passion for the career).

I suppose I'm basing the 3 months figure on the fact that I've heard from friends still in Dublin that things have vastly improved since the time that I left. I graduated right when everything went to hell and things were very bleak but I was never out of work longer than 2 months. They tell me that things have definitely improved since then.

It's very scary to return because there are a lot of unknowns and obviously the country hasn't stood still in the last 3 years but the things that I'm hearing are more positive than 2 years ago or so.

Advertisement