Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postcodes released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

lima wrote: »
    Why?

Id imagine due to all the points laid out in the 2nd link.

The info that it was the wrong thing to do was available from day one now 20 million quid in they are still bulling on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Have to say this is going to make my job delivering a whole lot easier, I have had a look at the website and it has the potential of being great! It will make a change of old country people telling you to go by the rusty shed and if you meet the cows you have gone too far

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Have to say this is going to make my job delivering a whole lot easier,

A GPS location would be easier to use than eircode. :eek:

None of the major delivery companies (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc) will be using it, and even An Post won't be using it, because it's a useless addressing system for delivery.

Even the emergency services have expressed concern about it.

More insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'll be doing my best to avoid it and will continue to give our rural address in the form it's always been in. The post gets here unfailingly, couriers find us and I've never had a problem when ordering online in the past several years... If something ain't broke, why fix it?

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »

None of the major delivery companies (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc) will be using it, and even An Post won't be using it, because it's a useless addressing system for delivery.

More insanity.
    Don't get me wrong; I'm very dubious about this system, but what makes it useless for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

They have my address wrong for starters, that's not going to help! :mad:

Karsini wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong; I'm very dubious about this system, but what makes it useless for delivery?

Because the first three characters are your area, and the next 4 are random. So, your neighbour will be totally different last 4 characters than you. For delivery purposes, it won't help them find you since there is no sequence. You can't pack a delivery vehicle based on these codes. The current "postal" address is better.

Even An Post have stated that they won't be using it ... nor will FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. All have said that the current system is better without these new codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Where did they get there map from I wonder? My area has some glaring errors on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I love this
    "Limited to 15 searches per day".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Karsini wrote: »

Limit to searches without paying, inaccuracy, database availability, missing addresses and also couriers have their own system already (not that it doesn't stop them getting lost looking for my place somehow!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Where did they get there map from I wonder? My area has some glaring errors on it.

It's the land registry map so I'd start to worry if there are many errors on the boundaries!

While the system isn't ideal there are a couple of major positives:

Less fraud with City addresses trying to claim they're 65B and rural address pretending they've never heard of 'that' Paddy Murphy living in the townland ballygobackwards Co. Galway.

Less pissing about from Eircom when other ISPs are trying to locate lines in Ballygobackwards Co. Galway. Ah sure the post get's here :rolleyes:

Less pissing about from Eircom when other ISPs are trying to locate lines in Ballygobackwards Co. Galway. Ah sure the post get's here :rolleyes:

I doubt that eircom will start marking lines with your postcode. ;-) They already have their own internal database of address to line number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I doubt that eircom will start marking lines with your postcode. ;-) They already have their own internal database of address to line number.

ARD keys - I can imagine a few people putting pressure on the Comreg to include postcodes. It should be a very easy fix. Anyone moving in to a property or a non-unique address is still subject to an Eircom monopoly (where UPC is unavailable).

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

More insanity.

So how is:
    053-20-45.40"N 006-16-35.07W more difficult to use than D07 AYF4

Seriously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Because the first three characters are your area, and the next 4 are random. So, your neighbour will be totally different last 4 characters than you. For delivery purposes, it won't help them find you since there is no sequence. You can't pack a delivery vehicle based on these codes. The current "postal" address is better.

Even An Post have stated that they won't be using it ... nor will FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. All have said that the current system is better without these new codes.

Where do people get this from? In the infrastructure thread An Post clearly tweeted they are going to use it. And the codes don't have to be sequential to work when you reverse look up the house or apartment.

Being totally different from your neighbour, will -- unlike the UK system -- stop the mis direction of posts to houses close beside each other because if the address is miles off from the postal code the carrier can call the sender, or return to sender. Fall back of delivering to the address is where we always were before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

For the emergency services it could cost lives if they use this dysfunctional system, Someone on Liveline said that Celbridge is listed as being NAAS so ambulances could be sent from Naas instead of Celbridge/Maynooth.

also so much for their rude word filter that allows Cockeye Stud
    COCK EYE STUD
    MOYSTOWN
    SHANNON HARBOUR
    BIRR
    CO. OFFALY
    R42 EK54
    instead of Cochise stud, Moystown Demesne, Shannon Harbour Birr, Co. Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

SMJSF wrote: »
    I love this
    "Limited to 15 searches per day".

Clear your cache after 15 and you get another 15..

It's fantastic that Ireland has moved a little bit further in-line with modern countries. We appeared abroad like a backwards agrarian
    society with no infrastructure.

There are always going to be small issues, which hopefully will be sorted out as the product matures

There are always going to be the Irish 'afraid of change' people being negative about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Clear your cache after 15 and you get another 15..

Or just open an incognito window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    So how is:
    053-20-45.40"N 006-16-35.07W more difficult to use than D07 AYF4

Seriously....

That's not a GPS code that's a location, look at Loc8 for a GPS code.

Problem with the new code is you can't shorten it, every time you put it into a site they'll know all about you, so there's no way you can do anonymous queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Forgive me if I seem a wee bit simple here - but how will the eircode help delivery people when its not linked to gps systems?

At the moment they are numbers on a map as is my home address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I like it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It's fantastic that Ireland has moved a little bit further in-line with modern countries. We appeared abroad like a backwards agrarian
    society with no infrastructure.

There are always going to be small issues, which hopefully will be sorted out as the product matures

There are always going to be the Irish 'afraid of change' people being negative about it

20 million quid on something isn't great, doesn't work as advertised and others were offering for free isn't small issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As expected my address shows a point on the map that is not my house... and my house is listed with my neighbours address. So, yeah, it's glaringly inaccurate.

BUT, and this is me really struggling to see any glimmer of a bright side here, at least it's SOMETHING official. A starting point. Because of all places in the first world, Ireland has to be one of the most difficult places to address anywhere. Huge qty's of addresses are not unique (did I hear close to 40%??). Many houses don't have any number or name whatsoever, just "bob mcCarthy" on the Low Road was what you write on the envelope.

Over time it might become useful.

But yeah, out of the box? Broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    For the emergency services it could cost lives if they use this dysfunctional system, Someone on Liveline said that Celbridge is listed as being NAAS so ambulances could be sent from Naas instead of Celbridge/ maynooth

The sorting office for North kildare is in Naas. So if you want your post quicker, you put Naas as the postcode. Always did it when living in clane and got my post much faster than without it.

Rew wrote: »
    20 million quid on something isn't great, doesn't work as advertised and others were offering for free isn't small issues.

Others?

Any postcode system not owned by the govt is not an official postcode system so there was never any obligation to use it.

Just go back to moaning about water, de banks or whatever is bringing you down today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Most people complaining about it are not "afraid of change" - I think almost everyone agrees that postcodes are useful, but the Eircode system is entirely unfit for purpose and a waste of money. It offers no benefit to couriers and delivery companies, as it's non-sequential. It offers no real benefit to An Post who already had their own database, and who will still deliver letters without the Eircode in the address.

The ambulance service said only dispatchers have access to it, not drivers, and it will only help in a minority of cases because (a) you can't use it to help you find a place and (b) it won't help them to find emergencies that aren't in a house/business premises.

It won't really benefit the ordinary citizen unless they pay for access to a gps database, because, again, it doesn't help you find a place. I live in the UK atm and I can enter part of my postcode on websites to find the nearest branch of a business, for example, or to get a list of nearby post offices etc. You can't do that with Eircodes, as the generic part refers to an enormous area.

So what benefits have we got for the €20million+ spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Others?

Any postcode system not owned by the govt is not an official postcode system so there was never any obligation to use it.

Just go back to moaning about water, de banks or whatever is bringing you down today :rolleyes:

Actually it's fair to complain about millions being squandered on a system that's not fit for purpose. There's a problem with non-unique addresses in Ireland, the solution is not to spend nearly 30 million to implement a system that makes nothing any easier. If there was some logic or sequencing it would be eminently useful for emergency services and couriers. But as it is, it gives no inherent clues to the location that the existing address doesn't already give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

According to the Eircode website my apartment doesn't exist. The two below me do though.

Also each apartment in the same building (converted 3 story house) has a different code. How does that make sense?!

Advertisement