Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postcodes released

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

murphaph wrote: »
    They didn't go completely random. I grew up in Newcastle, County Dublin. I just checked there and the mother's house now has a D22 XXXX code. D22 was the nearest postal district, but Newcastle was outside it.

I bet some people there will be rightly p!ssed off and I suspect a D22 code will indeed affect the house prices there, negatively.

They should have at the very least abandoned the Dublin postal districts completely, but of course people in the more affluent parts of South Dublin would have gone ballistic, so we got a typical Irish fudge.

What the real South Dublin needed was particular letter allocated to D2 D3 D6 D14 and Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire, but leaving out the ridiculous D6W which might as well be in Tallaght or "Jobs" town or one of those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

murphaph wrote: »
    They didn't go completely random. I grew up in Newcastle, County Dublin. I just checked there and the mother's house now has a D22 XXXX code. D22 was the nearest postal district, but Newcastle was outside it.

I bet some people there will be rightly p!ssed off and I suspect a D22 code will indeed affect the house prices there, negatively.

They should have at the very least abandoned the Dublin postal districts completely, but of course people in the more affluent parts of South Dublin would have gone ballistic, so we got a typical Irish fudge.

The xxxx is random. Take A96 it covers dun laoighre, sallynoggin, dalkey and killiney. That's a big area, if they were more specific houses on the fringe of the Vico road area would increase while houses that are on the fringe but included in the Macintosh park area would decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

lima wrote: »
    There is no secret payment to get specific area coverage.

Seriously why do Irish not like change.. It has screwed up our country to date

I really wanted to comment on this.

IME, the Irish people do not necessarily dislike change. However, they take a dim view of money being spent on a suboptimal system when, given an opportunity to build a decent system from scratch, said opportunity was not taken. The Eircode system is not good. An argument of "it's here now, live with it" is completely in line with past Irish experience which is yerrah, it'll do.

It is why, for example, we didn't join the two tramlines out the outset. Yerrah it'll do. It is why we had to build a second bridge at the M50 crossing because yerrah it'll do. It is why the M20 is still not built, why Metro North is still not built. Yerrah it'll do.

All you are offering this discussion is "Yerrah it'll do".

A new generation of Irish people no longer accept this.

Eircode has not been ideally implemented. My personal view is a major house numbering exercise and move from townland addressing to street and road addressing should have been done first. It is insane that even now, after implementing a major new postal code system that postal addresses do not align with physical addresses. My personal experience of the data base is that out of 3 family addresses, two in large urban areas and one in a rural area, there is evidence of rank stupidity.

I don't think there was anything near an adequate review of the type of data they were looking at and how best to parse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm hoping these new Eirecodes work. The house I bought recently has an address which consists of "Village Name", "County Name" & that is it. I posted a letter to it recently out of curiosity, letter has yet to arrive. I'm guessing because the house was empty for a number of years & no one in the local post office knew mine & my husbands name on the envelope.
    Found the code for the house easily on the website so would be a useful extra bit of address if it did work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

<MOD SNIP>

My point is that it is a start so we can take it from here as a base and move on

And honestly, No-one is going to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I'm hoping these new Eirecodes work. The house I bought recently has an address which consists of "Village Name", "County Name" & that is it. I posted a letter to it recently out of curiosity, letter has yet to arrive. I'm guessing because the house was empty for a number of years & no one in the local post office knew mine & my husbands name on the envelope.
    Found the code for the house easily on the website so would be a useful extra bit of address if it did work out.
    Shur call into the post office there and introduce yourself, or you could always put 'the old Murphy place' or whatever as the first line of your address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not complicated. It just limits how it can be used . Its seems to have been set up to generate income, and protect that income. It will be interesting to see if that tactic is successful. At least commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shur call into the post office there and introduce yourself, or you could always put 'the old Murphy place' or whatever as the first line of your address

I did this when I moved to a rural area a few years back, letters started to arrive the next day without any hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

Hi PaulW,
    Paulw wrote: »
    ... even An Post won't be using it, because it's a useless addressing system for delivery.

Is there somewhere an official statement from An Post in that respect?

Regards,
    Jörn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

Calina wrote: »
    I really wanted to comment on this.

IME, the Irish people do not necessarily dislike change. However, they take a dim view of money being spent on a suboptimal system when, given an opportunity to build a decent system from scratch, said opportunity was not taken. The Eircode system is not good. An argument of "it's here now, live with it" is completely in line with past Irish experience which is yerrah, it'll do.

It is why, for example, we didn't join the two tramlines out the outset. Yerrah it'll do. It is why we had to build a second bridge at the M50 crossing because yerrah it'll do. It is why the M20 is still not built, why Metro North is still not built. Yerrah it'll do.

All you are offering this discussion is "Yerrah it'll do".

A new generation of Irish people no longer accept this.

Eircode has not been ideally implemented. My personal view is a major house numbering exercise and move from townland addressing to street and road addressing should have been done first. It is insane that even now, after implementing a major new postal code system that postal addresses do not align with physical addresses. My personal experience of the data base is that out of 3 family addresses, two in large urban areas and one in a rural area, there is evidence of rank stupidity.

I don't think there was anything near an adequate review of the type of data they were looking at and how best to parse it.

First, there was an intense campaign from the motor industry against Luas. They are very well politically connected, but the project had gone too far by the time they got traction. The cancellation of the link-up was intended to punch a hole in the heart of the system, intended to limit its usefulness and subject it to ridicule, so that it would by years later, if ever, that there was any extension to the system.

There is similar opposition to Eircode from vested interests. Vested interests are cute enough to couch it in terms of "I'm all in favour of <reform X>, but we should make sure we do <impossibly long task Y> first". With the Luas, it was "Of course we are in favour of public transport, but we shouldn't do this until we have solved the problem of traffic jams".

There are vested interests against every reform. They are skilled at preventing any challenge to their privilege, that's why they still have it.

You say no postcodes until after "a major house numbering exercise and move from townland addressing to street and road addressing"? Seriously? Exactly how many years would that delay things? You don't suppose that it might run into thousands of tiny turf wars from the people who can't agree if their boreen is Ballydehooley or Ballydeholley?

And in any event, what possible advantage would there be in delaying the benefit to the emergency services, to alternative delivery services, to fraud prevention in insurance, social welfare and tax, to tracking everything from cancer screening takeup to home insulation rates until after they sort out if it is Ballydehooley or Ballydeholley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The two tram lines will soon be connected when the BXD route is built.

However, AFAIK, there are no plans for services to actually switch from one line to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Geuze wrote: »
    The two tram lines will soon be connected when the BXD route is built.

However, AFAIK, there are no plans for services to actually switch from one line to the other.

Hopefully the poster just meant have them run beside each other so people can switch stations easily, having them connected so train services run from green to red is completely unnecessary, and most tram systems expect connecting services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note:

Can we get back on topic please, this is Accommodation & Property. This thread is already borderline by being in here. There are threads in After Hours and Infrastructure also - discussion of Luas and economic logic is more suited to those threads elsewhere. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

GJG wrote: »
    There is similar opposition to Eircode from vested interests. Vested interests are cute enough to couch it in terms of "I'm all in favour of <reform X>, but we should make sure we do <impossibly long task Y> first". With the Luas, it was "Of course we are in favour of public transport, but we shouldn't do this until we have solved the problem of traffic jams".

I'm of the opinion that Luas and public transport is off topic here so I'm not going to comment any further on it. However, we have a situation now where, it appears, postal addresses - not just the eircodes - and physical addresses do not align. Not only that, the vast majority of people appear not to have been aware that at will, An Post has been relocating them from one county or townland to another.
    There are vested interests against every reform. They are skilled at preventing any challenge to their privilege, that's why they still have it.

Do not make the error of assuming I am against postal codes in this country.
    You say no postcodes until after "a major house numbering exercise and move from townland addressing to street and road addressing"? Seriously? Exactly how many years would that delay things? You don't suppose that it might run into thousands of tiny turf wars from the people who can't agree if their boreen is Ballydehooley or Ballydeholley?

Out of interest, how many people in this situation have you discussed this? I happen to be dealing with one address which has been apparently shoved across a river by the eircode database, and the general view between the occupants and myself is that 300 SuchARoad would be more helpful than planting them in the wrong townland. At least with a locatable physical address you will aid a lot of navigation issues to. As it stands, while eircode will enable you to geolocate a house easily, at the moment, it requires a network connection to query the database. In Ireland, specifically at the house mentioned above, which is one mile from a national route in the south of a country, btw, mobile connectivity is generally unreliable.

Other countries have managed this, and at least one town where I lived in France under took a renumbering exercise in the last 25 years to sort out anomalies of this nature.
    And in any event, what possible advantage would there be in delaying the benefit to the emergency services, to alternative delivery services, to fraud prevention in insurance, social welfare and tax, to tracking everything from cancer screening takeup to home insulation rates until after they sort out if it is Ballydehooley or Ballydeholley?

Postal codes have been under discussion in this country for at least 10 years. I'd like to think that even in this country, it is possible to get a decent road and house numbering system in place along with a regulation that house numbers be displayed in place in this time. Again, other countries manage this and I aspire, for this country, to be able to manage this rather than making remarks about the backwardness of the country.
    astrofool wrote: »
    Hopefully the poster just meant have them run beside each other so people can switch stations easily, having them connected so train services run from green to red is completely unnecessary, and most tram systems expect connecting services.

The poster in question just meant that it would have been useful to have them intersect at some stage so that connecting from one to the other did not feature a 10-15 minute walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

LOL. Did anyone receive their letters with postcodes yet?

I got three. Same house, three different postcodes.

Amaze balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

I happen to be dealing with one address which has been apparently shoved across a river by the eircode database, and the general view between the occupants and myself is that 300 SuchARoad would be more helpful than planting them in the wrong townland. At least with a locatable physical address you will aid a lot of navigation issues to. As it stands, while eircode will enable you to geolocate a house easily, at the moment, it requires a network connection to query the database. In Ireland, specifically at the house mentioned above, which is one mile from a national route in the south of a country, btw, mobile connectivity is generally unreliable.

Other countries have managed this, and at least one town where I lived in France under took a renumbering exercise in the last 25 years to sort out anomalies of this nature.

Well I haven't noticed any campaign for rationalising road names and house numbers until this week. People who now seem to feel so strongly that this is an urgent issue were strangely silent until Eircode came on the scene. But if that's what floats your boat, then fine. I happen to think it will be a long and fraught process but, if you don't, then knock yourself out.

What I don't accept is the confection that we must be denied a basic piece of infrastructure until a series of vague, undefined projects are completed. Why not just say we are not allowed postcodes until the Shannon is drained?

Yours isn't an argument about the best way to reform and modernise, it is clutching at straws to prevent all reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

pwurple wrote: »
    LOL. Did anyone receive their letters with postcodes yet?

I got three. Same house, three different postcodes.

Amaze balls.
    Could you have neighbours with the same address and you got their letters? What does the website say when you find your house on the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Only advantage I can see is I can now use a 7 digit code instead of writing my address. Might be useful when using a fake name and you're concerned someone sending you literature on syphilis recognises your address.

Though if an post don't use it kind of negates that positive.

why can't we just use same system as Northern Ireland? ie everyone on same street has same postcode and you're differentiated by house number

why can't we just use same system as Northern Ireland? ie everyone on same street has same postcode and you're differentiated by house number
    What happens when places don't have house numbers or don't acknowledge them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

TheChizler wrote: »
    Could you have neighbours with the same address and you got their letters? What does the website say when you find your house on the map?

My house on the map has an incorrect address down.. it is listed as my neighbours house name. I got that eircode in the post.

My own address is listed on someone else's house on the map, I got that eircode in the post as well.

The third eircode seems to be addressing a shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A football pitch will never have an Eircode.
    A clubhouse will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

A clubhouse will.

But that's not what he was talking about. He was specifically imagining a case where a pitch had an eircode
    "Clubs might have pitches away from the clubhouse accessed by different roads."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You're both right. If you've ever looked for club pitches, some will (usually) be located at the club house, but occasionally some are not.

My point wasn't really about that. But developer of apps that find places of interest for a specific user group, be it sport, a hobby whatever. They won't have access to the eircode database. They'll have to create their own lookup database of known eircodes and matching locations. Or just not use eircodes at all.

Which brings me back to what I was saying. Theres a whole mix of location codes in use. Be they eircode, loc8, google maps, bing maps, nokia maps, GPS codes. I don't see that changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭perry stanley

I have 2 postcodes.:confused: Why, I think it may be that there is a shed on the other of the plot. My wife is going to have one and I could have other:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

What happens when places don't have house numbers or don't acknowledge them?

There's no point having the most advanced postcode system in the world if you can't use them for what most people use them for - satnavs and google maps.

If people don't acknowledge their house numbers, they aren't going to acknowledge a postal code.

Richard wrote: »
    There's no point having the most advanced postcode system in the world if you can't use them for what most people use them for - satnavs and google maps.

If people don't acknowledge their house numbers, they aren't going to acknowledge a postal code.
    It's a bit disengenous to say it doesn't work with those, every postcode in the world requires 3rd parties to implement it before it's implemented by that 3rd party. Exact same with loc8 and what have you, loc8 works with a limited number of garmin satnavs but nothing else. You're complaining that companies haven't integrated it in advance of it being made official.

They might be more likely to write a code once on an online form than go to the bother of choosing numbers, buying them, and installing them in a prominent position outside their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It's a bit disengenous to say it doesn't work with those, every postcode in the world requires 3rd parties to implement it before it's implemented by that 3rd party. Exact same with loc8 and what have you, loc8 works with a limited number of garmin satnavs but nothing else. You're complaining that companies haven't integrated it in advance of it being made official.

True, but I would have thought they'd have information about Google/TomTom etc adoption at the start. Surely they're talking to them?

The difference with loc8 is that it is unofficial. Eircode is the official Irish system and it should have widespread adoption from launch.

Richard wrote: »
    The difference with loc8 is that it is unofficial. Eircode is the official Irish system and it should have widespread adoption from launch.
    Im saying that had loc8 been chosen there's no reason to think that they'd have better 3rd party integration at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Do people use loc8 code?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The biggest issue with people seems to be the fact that two houses side-by-side have totally different identifiers as the last four digits of the code.
    To be honest this will probably become a praiseworthy feature of the system, as spammers and marketing companies will be less able to target specific areas for their marketing campaigns.
    Also the system as introduced will be very handy if you want to mark goods and valuables in case of theft.

The UK system is good in built up areas, but in sparsely populated rural places, you can have your sat-nav guiding you down a boreen to a place close to your destination,but several miles by road from where you want to be.
    I'd say as soon as the Sat-Nav companies come on board, most objections will go away.

Advertisement