Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stinging Nettles & Smoothies?

Options
  • 13-07-2015 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

I'm out picking Raspberries at the moment and there's a lot of tender young nettles popping up, with the recent flurry of rain.

I'm curious, is there a space for nettles in the making of smoothies, I'm using a Nutri Ninja BL450 (900 watt) at the moment.

Do the nettles need to be boiled/blanched briefly, before use?

I do see guides online, but they tend to lean towards soups with added vegetables.

There's an abundance of nettles in the garden at the moment and I'm also buying spinach leaf like it's in fashion.. I wouldn't have a problem substituting the spinach for a 'free' crop. Seems such a waste.

Any input welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Answering my own post..

I've had a search, there's one YouTube video, it seems, showing the use of raw (washed) stinging nettles (Urtica dioica), in a blender. Posted by Youtube user, Gorkie Park.

Looks like a nice recipe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nettles are yummy, and very good for you, too! I've discovered that the best way to pick them without getting stung is to get to the top of the root - the reddish part - and pull them up from there. They come up pretty easily. Otherwise, do as my grandmother did, she was picking them by the stem, but with an upward movement, as the stinging bits are pointed upwards. She used to make a delicious soup, and yes, they were a great replacement for spinach.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I use them fresh in smoothies and I also dry some for later use. Do not use too many. Try to increase it gradually. You will learn how much to use.

Advertisement