Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Post Codes = A63 XXXX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A63 covers the whole of Greystones, Delgany & Kilcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

so if your new postcode is A63 XXXX , surely that's all you need to put on an envelope. No name, no address; nothing but the postcode???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

so if your new postcode is A63 XXXX , surely that's all you need to put on an envelope. No name, no address; nothing but the postcode???

Well, I think a name would be useful if there's more than 1 person in the house.

eigrod wrote: »
    Well, I think a name would be useful if there's more than 1 person in the house.

also, the postman isn't going memorise every code.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

loyatemu wrote: »
    also, the postman isn't going memorise every code.

Appreciate this....but if that's the case...what's the point in having a different code for every household in the country.
    I understand why it's relevant in rural areas , but surely in urban areas it's a waste of time and money.
    Businesses are gonna have to reprint letterheads and all of their stationery. Courier companies will need to update databases and add a unique code nationwide....and you'll be charged for the privilege of updating your own database if you try to do more than 15 per day.
    It'll be an expensive nightmare to implement.
    Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Appreciate this....but if that's the case...what's the point in having a different code for every household in the country.
    I understand why it's relevant in rural areas , but surely in urban areas it's a waste of time and money.
    Businesses are gonna have to reprint letterheads and all of their stationery. Courier companies will need to update databases and add a unique code nationwide....and you'll be charged for the privilege of updating your own database if you try to do more than 15 per day.
    It'll be an expensive nightmare to implement.
    Just my opinion.

Presumably it will eventually be integrated into Satnav, google maps etc - useful for couriers, insurance companies, eircom, etc.

It's not obligatory to use the code, companies can add it to their documents as they go along I guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Memorizing isn't necessary.
    Every address can be found once you have the Eircode and every Eircode can be found once you have the address.
    Simply use the link above.
    As already stated using Eirode is not mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's fairly ridiculous: A63? So no WW pre-fix?

I take it that A63 is the Greystones sorting office and this system is only set up for An Post? I bet there is no rhyme nor reason as to how its worked out, and that it is very difficult or very costly to integrate into another system being used by third parties, couriers and the like.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

astrofluff wrote: »
    That's fairly ridciulaous: A63? So no WW pre-fix?

I take it that A63 is the Greystones sorting office and this system is only set up for An Post? I bet there is no rhyme nor reason as to how its worked out, and that it is very difficult or very costly to integrate into another system being used by third parties, couriers and the like.

I think it is very simple. I just went onto the internet, typed in my address and got my Eircode.
    Quick, easy and free.

the A prefix seems to cover all of south Dublin and north Wicklow, so we've been associated with our rugby-playing kindred spirits in Blackrock, Dalkey & Killiney rather than our agricultural cousins in the rest of Wicklow (well, Kilcoole has been included too, but we'll let that slide :pac:)

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I think it is very simple. I just went onto the internet, typed in my address and got my Eircode.
    Quick, easy and free.

Yeah, for one address it's fine. I am being cynical by saying that I don't trust what the government have done here. This is more than likely set up for the government to benefit and not private businesses. It might be a €27million exercise, but you can imagine what the rest of the businesses will have to pay out to use it.

If the code translates to a identifiable location, then that's fine, so what's the algorithm to give me the GPS coordinates that every sat nav can use?! Is the code going to be any use to fire and ambulance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

That's fairly ridiculous: A63? So no WW pre-fix?

The first three digits represent one of 139 sorting offices nationwide. My post comes though Blackrock sorting office so I'm assigned A94

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Will it be used by the postman?
    Every postman will need a code reader linked to the database. Can you imagine the issues that will create?

I can see the future PAC enquiry into the gross waste of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Yeah, for one address it's fine. I am being cynical by saying that I don't trust what the government have done here. This is more than likely set up for the government to benefit and not private businesses. It might be a €27million exercise, but you can imagine what the rest of the businesses will have to pay out to use it.

If the code translates to a identifiable location, then that's fine, so what's the algorithm to give me the GPS coordinates that every sat nav can use?! Is the code going to be any use to fire and ambulance?

Eircode have promised to provide links to your favourite mapping tool, dont know why they didnt do it at launch.

The Eircode database actually holds latitude/longitude coordinates in multiple encoding formats: the Irish National Grid (OSI), the Irish Transverse Mercator, the ETRS89 European Terrestrial Reference System and the WGS84 Reference System (most commonly used by GPS systems), so in theory integrating with a satnav system should be straightforward..

Business costs are based on an annual license and either per transaction costs or per user costs

Yeah, for one address it's fine. I am being cynical by saying that I don't trust what the government have done here.

Why not? Have the government ever mislead us before?:confused:

This is more than likely set up for the government to benefit and not private businesses. It might be a €27million exercise, but you can imagine what the rest of the businesses will have to pay out to use it.

Yeah, I heard this discussion on the radio. A license won't be cheap.
    If the code translates to a identifiable location, then that's fine, so what's the algorithm to give me the GPS coordinates that every sat nav can use?!

Don't know. I think it will link to google maps eventually.
    Is the code going to be any use to fire and ambulance?

From what I heard on the radio, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

the A prefix seems to cover all of south Dublin and north Wicklow, so we've been associated with our rugby-playing kindred spirits in Blackrock, Dalkey & Killiney rather than our agricultural cousins in the rest of Wicklow (well, Kilcoole has been included too, but we'll let that slide :pac:)

The A prefix reaches to the far north too...well, as far as Drogheda anyway! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Looks like they are similar squares to the Maidenhead locator table. Greystones area is covered by the number 63 in that table also

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

homer911 wrote: »
    The first three digits represent one of 139 sorting offices nationwide. My post comes though Blackrock sorting office so I'm assigned A94

Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Honestly! wrote: »
    Find yours here https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

Another Irish Water/Siteserv in terms of cronyism in tendering, leaving the European Commission demanding answers from Fine Gael and Labour

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/small-businesses-ireland-public-tender-eircode-1615738-Aug2014/

:eek:

As Gaeilge

PÁIRC CHARLESLAND
    ACRA NA MBODACH
    NA CLOCHA LIATHA
    CO. CHILL MHANTÁIN

A63 TWXX

"PÁIRC ACRA NA MBODACH" Nach é?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There an API. In most countries people don't give a post code to the emergency services because it would be pointless. In Ireland you could do that because of the per house code but nots necessary ( it could save lives in fact)

• Advertisement

I'm just looking at some eircode addresses locally - They have got the addresses wrong for all of 'Charlesland'. It should say The Glen! Now it's no big deal as I haven't been using The Glen on a lot of correspondence in years, but what's the point in having an address with an extra line like this:

00 Charlesland Heights
    Charlesland
    Greystones
    Co. Wicklow

When it should be like this:

00 Charlesland Heights
    The Glen
    Greystones
    Co. Wicklow

If they are going to spend €27 million of our money, they should get it right. Numpties. Anyway, I'll make making it my business to ensure the system correctly reflects my actual postal address.

/rant

It should say The Glen!

says who? I never used "The Glen" when I lived in Charlesland, it's not on any signs, AnPost don't use it, and it's not actually a glen.

I imagine a letter sent to 1 Charlesland Hts, Greystones would get delivered fine without any further information but you can add "The Glen" or "Charlesland" or "Wicklow" if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't all the addresses displayed by the eircode finder come from An Post's geodirectory and are therefore the official postal address? Plus, I don't live there, but where is "charlesland heights" anyway .. I can't find any reference to it on any map.

Alun wrote: »
    but where is "charlesland heights" anyway .. I can't find any reference to it on any map.

It's a secret :cool:

says who? I never used "The Glen" when I lived in Charlesland, it's not on any signs, AnPost don't use it, and it's not actually a glen.

I imagine a letter sent to 1 Charlesland Hts, Greystones would get delivered fine without any further information but you can add "The Glen" or "Charlesland" or "Wicklow" if you want.

The Glen stems from the advertised address used when the houses were being originally built. On the original brochure it is called The Glen. I'm pretty sure the deeds on the house say it's the Glen! I'm sure the title was robbed from up the road. And yes, you are right, not a sign-post locally to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The Glen stems from the advertised address used when the houses were being originally built. On the original brochure it is called The Glen. I'm pretty sure the deeds on the house say it's the Glen! I'm sure the title was robbed from up the road. And yes, you are right, not a sign-post locally to say that.

Who on earth uses The Glen?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Being here since day-one, it went on all the addresses for everything: utilities, bank and so on. Haven't changed much since, so always on all correspondence.

I knew it was mentioned before on here, remember this loyatemu? Can you remember where the sign is/was you referred to in this post? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52953144&postcount=5

I'm just being a pain! :P
    it would be better maybe if they had Charlesland on the roadsigns at either end of the link road (it does say "Charlesland" on the large boulders but this isn't the same thing), and then have proper signs for the different estates at the superquinn roundabouts (again - they are listed on the "Welcome to The Glen" sign, but only in very small writing. Does anyone actually use "The Glen" anyway??)

Post found in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52953144

Advertisement