Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skywhale

Options
  • 13-07-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Has this already taken off? thought it was today at 6 but I think I got the dates wrong :/
    Also is it still around Galway or has it long left?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The sun is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its here until the 19th of July, its at NUI this evening at 6pm but it will be tied down.

http://www.giaf.ie/events/skywhale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Where is the presidents lawn?

It's at the UniversityRd entrance.

So it's a hot air balloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, an odd-looking balloon indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It says on GA facebook that it'll be making it's maiden voyage tonight so maybe it flies around the city too?

It seems to be getting most media attention, seems to be flagged as the highlight of the festival, if it is it's a bit disappointing in my opinion. I can't say I'll be making too much of an effort to see it, nor the exhibition it's part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So what does everyone recommend seeing during the festival?

They're pumping it up!
    They're poisoning it with gaseous thingimagik!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Find it hard to say it without sounding like The Viper... Shkywhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Back in the fifties some plots were "sold" on the president's garden to gullible First Ags

• Advertisement

There's an ugly whale flying in the sky.
    Some kids are gonna have nightmares

yhCDR67.jpg?1

How much are we subsidising this 'art' again?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Not trying to be argumentative, but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everyone doesn't. I love this kind of thing about the Arts Festival. I like the thought of random tourists happening upon this kind of thing, maybe by accident, and thinking... wow. That was interesting.

I remember being in Brussels for a weekend many years ago and coming across some weird random stuff a bit like this, and just being delighted to have seen it.

The Arts Festival has become "International" now and is quite a bit less accessible to the person on the street than it used to be. This type of thing helps to redeem it, a little bit, in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Skywhale due to be tethered in South Park in the claddagh this evening at 8pm. Keep an eye on GIAF Facebook and Twitter for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭lostboy75

i am all for the unusual and weird for the arts festival, but for me personally this is a step beyond. its ugly. a whale without the additions of the 10 breasts flying around the sky, would be interesting.

I believe a strongly worded letter to the newspaper is warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭lostboy75

snubbleste wrote: »
    I believe a strongly worded letter to the newspaper is warranted
    I agree, i nominate you for the honors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wonder why they are not flying it around the City it cant be weather related today its not windy, its an ugly son on a bi..h

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

jesus. it looks like something straight out of a studio ghibli animation! why all the boobies?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Alright, I just saw this thing flying over the airport. Thanks for posting this as I did not have a clue about what was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saw it at the swamp yesterday. It's quite cool.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Why does it have to be pretty?

I really like it, warts (and boobs) and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Next outing is 7.30pm tonight (Wednesday) at the "swamp" at South Park, Claddagh. Saw it last night- great for kids (and big kids like me!)
    They start filling it about 15 mins before advertised times eg be there at 7.15pm tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Oh so it's not flying all day?
    Wasnt there a competition for a flight in it? Does anyone know when it might be flying over the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oh so it's not flying all day?
    Wasnt there a competition for a flight in it? Does anyone know when it might be flying over the city?

There are huge potential problems in free flying it & any other hot air balloon. Because it is totally dependant on the wind you can't plan a landing site & ideally you need the landowners permission. I can imagine a farmer impounding it & wanting money to allow the retrieval crew to drive onto their land.

I have been ballooning in the UK & we had a map with all the hostile farmer's land marked in red :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Saw it today, it rose and dropped a few times then let loose and flew up towards the docks. It looked great and was worth it just to see some of the looks of awe on kids' faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

What am I supposed to tell the kids when they ask about those... appendages??? it's a disgraceful thing to have floating around if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Melty wrote: »
    What am I supposed to tell the kids when they ask about those... appendages??? it's a disgraceful thing to have floating around if you ask me

It's a good thing that it was designed by a woman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It leaves tomorrow.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Melty wrote: »

Heh.

The official page has the answer:
    Wings didn't make sense to Patricia; the creature was too big and the technical limitations of balloon design wouldn't allow them anyway. So she took a cue from the balloon itself, and imagined that the creature might somehow secrete a lighter than air gas. In the place of wings she imagined huge udders that might contain the gas, as well as a huge bulbous body. She imagined the creature with a slightly more human face, with a calm benign expression that would inspire empathy rather than fear. Her aim was to create a being that was massive and wondrous and that exists somewhere between the impossible and the unlikely.

Kids ask all sorts of questions, you either answer them truthfully or you don't. It's up to you.

Personally, when my lad asked why it had 10 boobs, I said, "I dunno. Let's find out."

Advertisement