Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircodes... Clare moves to Limerick !!!

• 13-07-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Idly checking my Eircode this morning after the press releases to find that I've moved to Limerick.
    I can see the Clare/Galway border from my window !!!
    P*ss takers :(

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Idly checking my Eircode this morning after the press releases to find that I've moved to Limerick.
    I can see the Clare/Galway border from my window !!!
    P*ss takers :(

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

I know the feeling. My parents live in Shannon and it's now in Limerick too!,

Always knew the spam letters before cos they had Limerick on them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Contact you local councillor. They would love that kind of issue to moan about !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I hear Shannon Airport has moved county too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Contact you local councillor. They would love that kind of issue to moan about !!!!!

yea get their picture taken pointing at a clare signpost with a disappointed look on their face. ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there a way to send in a complaint to Eirecode that they have the address wrong?

I would just love to see them getting thousands of complaints flooding their inbox!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Is there a way to send in a complaint to Eirecode that they have the address wrong?

I would just love to see them getting thousands of complaints flooding their inbox!

And that's whats going to happen no body is Happy about it. But they said they will not change any corrections that need to be done. Seriously if that's the attitude you've got after spending 27million think the whole thing deserves to be bicoted .

I am however happy with my address its correct. But all I'm adding is the zip onto my current address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

SO mods, will we be merging with the limerick forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

phill106 wrote: »
    SO mods, will we be merging with the limerick forum?
    It's tricky, Ballyvaughan is in Galway now so we might have to hold a Boards.ie referendum to see where we should end up - Galway or Limerick? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Well Tulla are apparently still in County Clare... Splitters !!!!
    ;)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So Clare lads get the V, and the Dublin ones get the D. I'm happy with that.

• Advertisement

moyners wrote: »

I'm not sure the above is really relevant, TBH.

A person's postal address would be Shannon, Co. Clare.
    Their geographical address would be Shannon, Co. Clare.

Yet this Eircode address is Shannon, Limerick.

Has there been any explanation why this has occurred?

Has An Post refused to deliver mail incorrectly addressed to Shannon, Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I'm not sure the above is really relevant, TBH.

A person's postal address would be Shannon, Co. Clare.
    Their geographical address would be Shannon, Co. Clare.

Yet this Eircode address is Shannon, Limerick.

Has there been any explanation why this has occurred?

Has An Post refused to deliver mail incorrectly addressed to Shannon, Limerick?

You would think that - but head over to An Post's address checker http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/

Everything at Shannon is listed as Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

sure shannon has only been around since the 50's, perhaps there is a backlog in the "update your town name and location" department?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

You have to remember that the landline area code for Shannon is 061 same as Limerick. Harks back to the Posts and Telegraph (P&T) days before the split into Eircom and An Post.

It's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

An Post sorts the mail for Shannon from Limerick. So to them Shannon IS in Limerick as far as they're concerned and they've taken it to the high court in the past to keep doing it their own way. Eircode are unlucky in that now everyone can see what address An Post thinks they should be using and are taking the blame for it. There's a lot of other criticisms you could make of the system but the "moving counties" thing is purely An Post's fault.

moyners wrote: »
    You would think that - but head over to An Post's address checker http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/

Everything at Shannon is listed as Limerick

Ah!
    ..... and Newmarket is

Newmarket-on-Fergus,
    Ennis,
    Co. Clare

I guess we have all been using incorrect postal addresses for decades! :eek:

Growler!!! wrote:
    You have to remember that the landline area code for Shannon is 061 same as Limerick. Harks back to the Posts and Telegraph (P&T) days before the split into Eircom and An Post.

It's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

Newmarket also has 061 landlines so it is not that.

It seems it is the sorting office that determines the postal address as moyners posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Afaik

The Eircode address is how your post is sorted, not your geographical address,
    Shannon post is sorted in limerick and newmarket post is sorted in ennis, simple really

Shannon is still in clare

The area code thing of 061 wouldn't really apply as thats just an eircom problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Here's the thing:

An Post are claiming that this example:
    SHANNON AIRPORT AUTHORITY
    AIRPORT OPERATIONS OFFICE
    TERMINAL BUILDING
    SHANNON AIRPORT
    SHANNON
    CO. CLARE
    is wrong and always has been.

They reckon that, since the mail is sorted in Limerick, then it should be:
    TERMINAL BUILDING
    SHANNON AIRPORT
    SHANNON
    LIMERICK
    and should always have been.

Now with Eircodes, they reckon that it should be:
    TERMINAL BUILDING
    SHANNON AIRPORT
    SHANNON
    LIMERICK
    V14 EE06

Thing is, though, if they're now going to use the 'Routing Key' V14 to route the mail to the Limerick office anyway, then surely it doesn't matter what you write on the envelope, does it? Surely you can write:
    TERMINAL BUILDING
    SHANNON AIRPORT
    SHANNON
    CO CLARE
    V14 EE06
    if you want, can't you?

In fact, I'm sure it'd still get there if you wrote:
    MISSISSIPPI
    V14 EE06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

All you'll have to write now is
    ham pockets spaghetti o'neil
    V14 EE06
    IRELAND

and it'll get to the right place

• Advertisement

I would think this would also be acceptable
    TERMINAL BUILDING
    SHANNON AIRPORT
    SHANNON
    CO CLARE
    Via Limerick
    V14 EE06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

All you'll have to write now is

and it'll get to the right place

Must try that:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

and according to An Post, Killaloe is in Limerick. Not Clare, not Tipperary. Limerick!

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Result.aspx?QuickSearch=KILLALOE%20ENTERPRISE%20CENTRE&Lang=English

Ballyvaughan is in Galway, and Ennistymon & Lahinch should have Ennis on the address. We got multiple post codes sent to us for each person living at home.

The whole Eircode thing is another disaster, similar to e-voting machines.

An Post were not going to use Eircode, but appear to have changed their mind now that they are part of the consortium.

Certainly your local postie will never use Eircode.
    So if An Post do use it, after spending some €1 million to introduce it, it will only be used in sorting offices ..... and it is not needed there apparently (according to An Post themselves).

The database holding the Eircode reference to actual addresses is locked behind a paywall, so any company wishing to use it must fork out substantial amounts of money.
    I don't see many companies doing that when there are cheaper or no-cost solutions available.

We had the opportunity to introduce a location code system for the whole country, and as a sub-set of that, allocate codes to the postal database in the same manner as has been done with Eircode codes.

That could have provided a completely open system which everyone in the country could use and everyone could 'speak' the same language for the interchange of information.

It could have been done very cheaply, using an existing opensource scheme, and open street map.
    It would be free of cost to all users, with no IP or licencing issues to be dealt with.

http://iemap.org/

http://www.openpostcode.org/

There are also a few proprietary systems (if spending money was an absolute necessity) in existence which would also have provided the extra location services on top of the Eircode codes.

But, no!
    We had to pay huge amounts of money to create a database which is behind a pay wall, and which does nothing at all except provide 'postal delivery point codes' and nothing else.

The more I think about this, the sicker it seems.

Advertisement