Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 storey extension

Options
  • 13-07-2015 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

I know this can be a how long is a piece of string question...
    But looking for ballpark figure for extension onto a basic 3 bed semi in south co. dub.

We'd like to add an extra bedroom and extend the kitchen - so toying with idea of 2 story extension.
    Extension would be to the back - re access - theres a side entrance but its only wide enough to squeeze a wheel barrow through.

The total floor area in the house is currently 88sqm. The width of the house is 6 or 7 m and would be looking to go out about a further 4m. So 24-28 sqm of extra ground covered...

Excluding the kitchen cost and the cost of the windows (cos i know these can vary the price) has anyone any idea/expereince of how much it would cost to build.

As part of it we'd want
    - external insulation for the whole house
    - electrics extended out to new part
    - plumbing extended out to new part (its gas boiler)
    - ensuite added to one of the bedrooms
    - downstairs toilet added
    - Attic converted to living space and velux window added
    - Patio outside approx 6mx3m - (i know that can vary too)
    - block shed built at the end of the garden with pitched roof approx 4x2m
    - Rooms up stairs and down will have to be re-jigged obviously.
    - In terms of the finish id exepect all the new walls/ceilings plastered. entire downstairs re-floored (kitchen ares in some kind of mid range tile - living areas in some kind of mig range timber)

Or just anyone with expereince of building any type of 2 story extension in dublin recently would be nice to hear from.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is upstairs going the full width and depth too?

Allow €1200-€1400 per square meter and see if tha comes anywhere near your budget.

You will have planning applications fees and Assigned certifier costs also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Thanks for the reply....
    So thats excluding kitchen and windows?
    How about the attic conversion.... should i include it in the square footage calculation...
    If at all possible the upstairs would span full width and depth too... and the attic above it id want usable as an office/study

Re planning .... I had just looked it up - as i thought i wouldnt need it - am i right in assuming if i scale it back to 40 sqm and follow the rules re windows - i wont need planning?
    In terms of the attic conversion will that add to the 40sqm allowable before planning permission is required?

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply....
    So thats excluding kitchen and windows?
    How about the attic conversion.... should i include it in the square footage calculation...
    If at all possible the upstairs would span full width and depth too... and the attic above it id want usable as an office/study

Re planning .... I had just looked it up - as i thought i wouldnt need it - am i right in assuming if i scale it back to 40 sqm and follow the rules re windows - i wont need planning?
    In terms of the attic conversion will that add to the 40sqm allowable before planning permission is required?

You will most definately require planning based on your original plan in the original post.

the 40 Sq. M only allows ground floor extensions.

You will deffo be at the higher end of the budget as the attic conversion alone requires structural engineering input, new steels, new floor, fire door set, fire resistant enclosure, alarma nd detection, and means of escape window.

the first floor extension can only be 12 Sq. M and this comes out of the 40 Sq. M and the wall of the first floor needs to be a particular dimension from the adjoining property.

I would hazzard a guess that planning is required 100%.

Ok - cheers - its by no means a blocker.
    So my question re the attic is do i inclued that in my cost calculations re the figure you suggested above...i.e. if i go for say 40sqm between 1st floor and ground floor and convert the attic im looking at
    1400 x 40 (for extension)+
    1400 x whatever size the attic ends up

??
    The attic isnt really convertable the way it is now as its a double hipped roof (not sure if thats the correct term - its got a slope as opposed to an apex on the side.... pyramidy)

Cheers for the info ....And i know you're only talking ballpark - this is just to give me an idea of whether its even worth going to the bother of looking at getting quotes or not - cos ive no idea as to how much these things cost.

Ok - cheers - its by no means a blocker.
    So my question re the attic is do i inclued that in my cost calculations re the figure you suggested above...i.e. if i go for say 40sqm between 1st floor and ground floor and convert the attic im looking at
    1400 x 40 (for extension)+
    1400 x whatever size the attic ends up

??
    The attic isnt really convertable the way it is now as its a double hipped roof (not sure if thats the correct term - its got a slope as opposed to an apex on the side.... pyramidy)

Cheers for the info ....And i know you're only talking ballpark - this is just to give me an idea of whether its even worth going to the bother of looking at getting quotes or not - cos ive no idea as to how much these things cost.

Yes, include it for the ballpark figures that you do yourself.
    If the total figures blows you away then you know you need to scale back or if its in the ballpark of what you want to spend, then you get proper plans drawn up, get planning and get proper detailed quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

kceire wrote: »
    You will most definately require planning based on your original plan in the original post.

the 40 Sq. M only allows ground floor extensions.

You will deffo be at the higher end of the budget as the attic conversion alone requires structural engineering input, new steels, new floor, fire door set, fire resistant enclosure, alarma nd detection, and means of escape window.

the first floor extension can only be 12 Sq. M and this comes out of the 40 Sq. M and the wall of the first floor needs to be a particular dimension from the adjoining property.

I would hazzard a guess that planning is required 100%.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

On the citizens information site, it specifies that:

"Generally, you will not need planning permission for: Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house."

Would that not indicate he wouldn't need planning permission?

I query this because O am actually in the process of a similar sized two storey extension and I've had a builder round to quote who said it would be exempt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Monokne wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

On the citizens information site, it specifies that:

"Generally, you will not need planning permission for: Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house."

Would that not indicate he wouldn't need planning permission?

I query this because O am actually in the process of a similar sized two storey extension and I've had a builder round to quote who said it would be exempt.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2
    Read the section governing extensions

Thanks Bryan. Looks like I won't be using that builder then...

Time to better vet your builders :)
    Who done your planning application? Maybe he or she could recommend a builder that they have used before.

You're telling me. I had him price up the ground floor extension than said ideally I'd like to add a first floor but I didn't think that was possible because of planning permission, and he just volunteered the info that planning permission wasn't necessary!

• Advertisement

You're telling me. I had him price up the ground floor extension than said ideally I'd like to add a first floor but I didn't think that was possible because of planning permission, and he just volunteered the info that planning permission wasn't necessary!

because he would not have to worry about it. It would be you that would have to fix the problem, ie. retention permission etc

I just seen your other post in the other thread also, looks like you are only now realising what's ahead of you, you haven't even considered planning yet, which before you can start works, takes 3 months and 2 weeks from lodgement.

slightly off-topic - but in terms of the attic of a 2 storey extension...

If i were to build a 2 storey extension that would be exempt from planning.
    From http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2, you can only extend 12sqm above the ground floor.

The area up in the roof space - what is the status of that? What characteristics does it have to have to be deemed livable space?
    What im getting at is, what do i have to do (or not do) to it so that it doesn't get taken out of the 12sqm allowance?

Thanks.

slightly off-topic - but in terms of the attic of a 2 storey extension...

If i were to build a 2 storey extension that would be exempt from planning.
    From http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2, you can only extend 12sqm above the ground floor.

The area up in the roof space - what is the status of that? What characteristics does it have to have to be deemed livable space?
    What im getting at is, what do i have to do (or not do) to it so that it doesn't get taken out of the 12sqm allowance?

Thanks.

The 12 Sq. M also comes with other restrictions, you have to be 2m away from the boundary each side.

With regards to the attic conversion, you have requirements under the Building Control Regulations - Part A, Part B, Part F, Part L mainly, but in theory them all!

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

Ah you're right sorry - for some reason, after reading the link from bryanF, in my head, i was thinking 1m....
    Must measure the width of the garden but id say its not a flyer as it would want to be 8m for it to work. (I think its more 6 or 7)
    Cheers.

Advertisement