Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing a GPS enabled app

Options
  • 13-07-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to point me in the direction of some information about developing an app that uses GPS information in the way Hailo does ?

All I can find is information on hailo & hail failing in nyc etc.

I have an idea for one that will use gps to locate other users logged into it (background) & want to read up on it

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What platform? What are you planning to develop the app in (language).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm thinking for iOS first with android to follow. Don't know what language (I don't know any at all), this is going to be a very upward learning curve for me. I want to try to figure out how to do it & then create a very rough version.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Xcode/Swift is what you need for IOS development. Pencilcase is another option but is in early stages of development so may not have the required functionality.

I developed an app for a Masters using Xcode and Swift and GPS location services is easy enough to set up in the app. Xcode is free too so you can download and play around with it, also loads of tutorials out there. Lynda.com is very good.

If you're thinking of a native iPhone app, here's a good start:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/LocationAwarenessPG/Introduction/Introduction.html

Depending on your requirements you may be able to use an html 5 based app.

When Googling, start by searching for 'location based apps'.

thanks guys. OK if I come back with any questions ?

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    thanks guys. OK if I come back with any questions ?

ask away

Sure. I'm no dev, but happy to help if possible.

Do I need to know a language to use Xcode or is it a wysiwyg editor ?

Yes, Swift is the language. Used to be Objective C.

There is probably no way around having to learn a language to develop an app (imo). Pencilcase, which I mentioned earlier is more wysiwyg, and drag 'n drop, but has limited functionality. It does have a 30 day free trial so maybe download it and have a play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

curiousb wrote: »
    There is probably no way around having to learn a language to develop an app (imo). Pencilcase, which I mentioned earlier is more wysiwyg, and drag 'n drop, but has limited functionality. It does have a 30 day free trial so maybe download it and have a play.
    Depends on how much functionality the OP needs.

While I'd agree that native development, on multiple platforms, is the ideal way to go, many projects are simple enough that it makes commercial sense to use multi-platform framework or even a WYSIWYG approach. After all, for the OP - with no coding experience - to get to a level of competence in iPhone development alone capable to develop a commercially viable app is going to take how long? And then Android too? My guess is that if the OP tries this approach, the app will never see the light of day.

Ultimately, it depends on what is expected of the app. If straightforward enough, a multi-platform WYSIWYG approach may be the most viable. If not he/she should realistically think about bringing in a developer.

• Advertisement

Thanks Corinthian. I want to get a proof of concept together before looking for a developer.

Thanks Corinthian. I want to get a proof of concept together before looking for a developer.
    For a proof of concept all you realistically need is a mobile Web site mocked up to look like an app. MobiOne used to be a nice quick and dirty WYSIWYG for that sort of thing, but unfortunately it appears to have been discontinued.

I'm sure others can suggest alternatives that can also tie into the phone's GPS capabilities and/or Google Maps.

Given you're looking to do a proof of concept, before hiring a developer, I expect you're basically penniless and want to use the proof of concept to raise money to hire a developer. TBH, you'll want a very good business plan and even then not having any technical resources when approaching an investor will go against you. Look at investing some of your own money and taking on someone on an equity or equity-pay hybrid basis.

For a quick & cheap proof of concept, I'd agree with curiousb. Take a look at https://pencilcase.io.

Given you're looking to do a proof of concept, before hiring a developer, I expect you're basically penniless and want to use the proof of concept to raise money to hire a developer. TBH, you'll want a very good business plan and even then not having any technical resources when approaching an investor will go against you. Look at investing some of your own money and taking on someone on an equity or equity-pay hybrid basis.

I'd be open to working on an equity or equity-pay hybrid basis. But I don't expect there's too many interested in taking it on.

I'm currently trying to work out the business plan as well as doing this so things are taking that little bit longer.

I do have access to some investors, I've already raised funds for another project which is ongoing, but I had to give up a *lot* of equity my first time out, I've learned from that & want to have more in place this time before I go looking for money.

I've already raised funds for another project which is ongoing, but I had to give up a *lot* of equity my first time out, I've learned from that & want to have more in place this time before I go looking for money.

If you have a previously successful venture you may find it easier to attract people on an equity/part-equity basis.

Graham wrote: »
    If you have a previously successful venture you may find it easier to attract people on an equity/part-equity basis.

There is that. I raised considerable funding so would be confident of being able to do it again.

I'm trying to keep the two separate, but I'd say if we could get something solid going, there'd be an opportunity to pitch to the current investors or some of the other contacts I've made.

OK, I guess I'll throw it out there. If there's anyone interested in doing something together, drop me a PM & we'll arrange a meeting to size each other up.

I'd be open to working on an equity or equity-pay hybrid basis. But I don't expect there's too many interested in taking it on.
    Unlike the vast majority of people who come on here with an 'idea', you at least have a few things going for you. Firstly you have already some experience in getting a venture off the ground. Secondly you have access to investors (from whom you've already a history of raising money).

I think this should give you enough leverage to get a straight equity deal with a potential developer, at least up to the point of a prototype and raising that initial capital, after which you can potentially offer some form of financial remuneration to the developer.

Beyond that it comes down to how much equity you want to part with and that I think is very dependent on how much input you and the developer will have - think of the developer as an investor; their time has a monitory value and once you calculate that, what would you part with were it just straight capital?

OK, so do I put another thread up or is this one ok?

OK, so do I put another thread up or is this one ok?
    Question is do you need a developer to help you put a proof of concept together so as to raise investment now or can you wait until you have that investment?

After gives you the option of paying them in part or full from the start, and avoid costly sweat equity. So I'd take a look at Pencilcase as has been suggested and, without spending too long on it, determine the answer.

Either way, whomever you take on will likely be the person you'll be stuck with for a long time - so I'd carefully think through what direction you want to take with your technology and thus what skills you will need.

Advertisement