Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post codes

Options
  • 13-07-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Have we all got our post codes.:)
    https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

There appears to be problems in some parts of the country. Mine comes up correctly though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Looks like mine does too. Haven't heard of these coming in until this. THought there was talk of it a few years ago that didn't go anywhere. Population reaching enouh density to warrant it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

The problem was too many non-unique addresses around the place.

Emergency services, an post and couriers were sometimes having an awful time finding the right location to go to, especially if they weren'the familiar with the area.

An Post has been operating it's own postcode system internally for over a decade(you can see the faint orange lines at the back of letters - that's the postcode they were using).

If some addresses look weird, it'd probably because they are using the nearest postal centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's a shame that the new codes are not yet Sat Nav friendly despite €27 million having been allocated to the new postcode system.

My code is correct too but it would appear that Shannon Airport has been moved from county Clare......

ee166a5052.png

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

What about the LOC8 system introduced years ago?

Could something like that not have been used?

Loc8 Code - The All Ireland Digital Address Code

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

It's a shame that the new codes are not yet Sat Nav friendly despite €27 million having been allocated to the new postcode system.

My code is correct too but it would appear that Shannon Airport has been moved from county Clare......

ee166a5052.png

Not aimed at you OP but the amount of people losing their sh1t over this sort of stuff is just amazing. I don't know wheather to laugh or feel embarressed.

Eircode spent large parts of yesterday telling people you DO NOT have to change your address. Simply add the Eircode at the bottom of your current address, job done. Simple.

Yet we have some people running around screaming and pulling their hair out. Relax folks, the Sky isn't about to fall in.

If I'm understanding it correctly Shannon Airport has not moved anywhere. Thats the address used by An Post internally all the time. I'd imagine Limerick is the nearest major sorting office, so its appearing now as the addresses Eircode use are pulled from the An Post database.

• Advertisement

We all know why it would be beneficial to have a accurate and Sat Nav friendly postal code system but it is only ever going to be really effective if everyone has to include it in their address. Spending €27,000000 to have a system that can be used if you feel like and not used if you couldn't be arsed is pretty pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where's G4 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »

In your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

snubbleste wrote: »

Rahoon - actually

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I know that most of Erris in Mayo was under Ballina as part of its address a few years back. But that's the only out of the way place I'm familiar with enough to say. Could be that would be true of a lot of rural areas I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The problem was too many non-unique addresses around the place.

Emergency services, an post and couriers were sometimes having an awful time finding the right location to go to, especially if they weren'the familiar with the area.

An Post has been operating it's own postcode system internally for over a decade(you can see the faint orange lines at the back of letters - that's the postcode they were using).

If some addresses look weird, it'd probably because they are using the nearest postal centre.

The new codes will be of no benefit wahtsoever to the postman on his round. Will help with sorting further up the line though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is there a rationale for the initial letter? Like 091 is Galway city telephone wise I don't think H covers all of the city? Where do the Hs begin and end? Is there a map showing any of this at a glance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All of Co Galway is Hxx xxxx

This is my fave so far H91 V0CK

Advertisement