Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine oil and runners

Options
  • 13-07-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

A 5L drum of 5W-30 engine oil tipped over and half a litre of engine oil soaked into my new Mizunos. (only 117km on them(

I tried scrubbing them with fairy liquid and water.
    I tried soaking them.

Still I cannot get all the oil out of them.

Any suggestions to get the rest out or are them dead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Stuff with newspaper and leave them a few days. The paper should soak up a lot of the oil. Maybe replace paper after a day and redo. I know it's not recommended but then put them in the washing machine on a rinse wash. That should help remove any remaining oil.

If that fails then your fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ceepo wrote: »
    Stuff with newspaper and leave them a few days. The paper should soak up a lot of the oil. Maybe replace paper after a day and redo. I know it's not recommended but then put them in the washing machine on a rinse wash. That should help remove any remaining oil.

If that fails then your fooked.

Cheers, will try the newspaper. Was trying to avoid the washing machine as if everything smelled of engine oil I'd be killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

power hose or steam cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

what about talc , to absorb it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd soak them in some warm soapy water then stuff in a load of kitchen roll and replace as it soaks up the oily water.

You probably won't get it all out but even still they're far from dead.

Whip out the insoles and replace them while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Swarfega

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

An aerosol engine degreaser. Any motor factors will have it. It is specifically for breaking down oil and grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

What about soaking them in a bike degreaser like Muc-Off? Its gentle enough for skin and rinses away in lukewarm water; it doesn't have the industrial smell of others, either.
    I doubt you'll ever get it all off, but it should take the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Just use petrol... swarfega will also lift it, but is more expensive and I found that the 'suds' or scum that you're left with didn't fully come out of the white areas, particularly the breathable mesh fabrics. Would you believe something similar happened to me, only with cycling shoes. (Was giving the bike a clean and service straight after a spin one day)

Petrol and a clean paintbrush, then a good go over with a power washer afterwards.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The good news is they will probably be pretty waterproof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Be curious to see how the EVA foam reacts to all these petroleum removal methods.

How do they de-oil wildlife in any tanker accidents? That's the way to play this one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

You can get a biological agent in motor factors that's used to break down oil spills...might be less harsh on the materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Catlitter ... Might sound odd but it works , I had a kerosene oil spill in the boot of the car and put down about 3 inches of cat litter and it absorbed 90% of it , about €6 a bag in tesco, cover the shoes in it for a few days and then change and repeat .If it works soaking up cat sh*t it should work on oil. worst case your down €6 .

Advertisement