If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshelf speaker recommendation?

Options
  • 13-07-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a decent pair of standmount/bookshelf speakers between €100 & €200 for 50th birthday present at the end of august, any specials before then will be taken under consideration.

This bloke likes his jazz & has been using crap for years which has been driving me nuts as it just sounds like supermarket/lift music on cheapo speakers.

He doesn't require anything powerful just something decent, so as not to offend his mates with crackly tin can sound.

best regards

Mark

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

valo086 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a decent pair of standmount/bookshelf speakers between €100 & €200 for 50th birthday present at the end of august, any specials before then will be taken under consideration.

This bloke likes his jazz & has been using crap for years which has been driving me nuts as it just sounds like supermarket/lift music on cheapo speakers.

He doesn't require anything powerful just something decent, so as not to offend his mates with crackly tin can sound.

best regards

Mark
    Hi Mark.

I would have a look at the Monitor Audio BX2 which are going for a cracking 199.99 euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10813-bronze-bx2-black.aspx

Originally priced at 294 Euro. NEW version is out so we have this great deal on the BX2 while stock lasts.
    Even in sterling they are still priced at £199.95.

There is no better speaker for this money.

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 valo086

Hi,

best regards

Mark
    Hi Mark.

I would have a look at the Monitor Audio BX2 which are going for a cracking 199.99 euro (Inc Delivery)

Originally priced at 294 Euro. NEW version is out so we have this great deal on the BX2 while stock lasts.

Thanks Kenny for the reply.

I have a few weeks left & I will keep them under consideration. I will be doing some more research before making my mind up.

Regards

Mark

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,

best regards

Mark
    Hi Mark.

I have a few weeks left & I will keep them under consideration. I will be doing some more research before making my mind up.

Regards

Mark
    Mark,

thanks for the update, just as an aside and so we could make a better recommendation - what amp is your friend using?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi,

best regards

Mark
    Hi Mark.

Regards

Mark
    Mark,

thanks for the update, just as an aside and so we could make a better recommendation - what amp is your friend using?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi all,

He is using, as am I a modified/upgraded Lepai TA2020 amp which I bought a few of some years ago as a cheap/hobby amp. After upgrading the sound is pretty decent, not audiophile by any means but they do the job.
    My Lepai is driving a pair of JBL Northridge E20 8 ohm speakers fed from my computer. They fill my 4.5 x 3.8 m sitting room easily.
    The Lepai amp would probably push 25 watts per channel into 8 ohm speakers at a push with 14 v 3 amp supply, currently using 12v 2 amp power supply. So as mentioned previously, not a lot of power required for a slightly smaller room.
    He would prefer a tube amp, but money is tight. I gave him the Lepai which he used with an old pair of Aiwa speakers which where way better than the Dell computer speakers he was using. So incremental steps, but if he wants a tube amp, he can buy it himself.

Oh, bye the way, I bought a Panasonic ST50 Plasma of you lot a few years back, still going strong, thank you very much.

Best regards

Mark

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,

best regards

Mark
    Hi Mark.

Regards

Mark
    Mark,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi all,

He is using, as am I a modified/upgraded Lepai TA2020 amp which I bought a few of some years ago as a cheap/hobby amp. After upgrading the sound is pretty decent, not audiophile by any means but they do the job.
    My Lepai is driving a pair of JBL Northridge E20 8 ohm speakers fed from my computer. They fill my 4.5 x 3.8 m sitting room easily.
    The Lepai amp would probably push 25 watts per channel into 8 ohm speakers at a push with 14 v 3 amp supply, currently using 12v 2 amp power supply. So as mentioned previously, not a lot of power required for a slightly smaller room.
    He would prefer a tube amp, but money is tight. I gave him the Lepai which he used with an old pair of Aiwa speakers which where way better than the Dell computer speakers he was using. So incremental steps, but if he wants a tube amp, he can buy it himself.

Oh, bye the way, I bought a Panasonic ST50 Plasma of you lot a few years back, still going strong, thank you very much.

Best regards

Mark
    Mark,

thanks for the kind words, bit of a legend those ST50's - I just wish we could still get them!

On the speakers - normally I'd probably modify the earlier advice if you friend is using a TA2020 and I'd recommend something like the Monitor Audio MR1:
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200802-mr1-black.aspx

These are €219 generally and would be just fine for the Lapai, but the BX2 are such a great deal, they are the next range up and another model up that range over the MR1 that I do think that they are the way forward, however they will stretch the amp and in all honesty would cope with a far better amp - if you did want to keep the budget down but still get a decent sound and allow for potential amp upgrades I'd look at the Tannoy V1: http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12642-mercury-v1.aspx which are great value as they have just been reduced to €139.99 including shipping..

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi,

best regards

Mark
    Hi Mark.

Regards

Mark
    Mark,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi all,

Best regards

Mark
    Mark,

thanks for the kind words, bit of a legend those ST50's - I just wish we could still get them!

On the speakers - normally I'd probably modify the earlier advice if you friend is using a TA2020 and I'd recommend something like the Monitor Audio MR1:

These are €219 generally and would be just fine for the Lapai, but the BX2 are such a great deal, they are the next range up and another model up that range over the MR1 that I do think that they are the way forward, however they will stretch the amp and in all honesty would cope with a far better amp - if you did want to keep the budget down but still get a decent sound and allow for potential amp upgrades I'd look at the Tannoy V1: http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12642-mercury-v1.aspx which are great value as they have just been reduced to €139.99 including shipping..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks guys for the info,

Keeping the budget constrained is for my benefit, not his or else I could end up paying his mortgage as well. As for the amp, that's something he can sort out himself, due to his preference for tube amps, budget allowing.

I have a few weeks to make my mind up but the Tannoy V1 are interesting at that price.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi,

best regards

Mark
    Hi Mark.

Regards

Mark
    Mark,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi all,

Best regards

Mark
    Mark,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks guys for the info,

Keeping the budget constrained is for my benefit, not his or else I could end up paying his mortgage as well. As for the amp, that's something he can sort out himself, due to his preference for tube amps, budget allowing.

I have a few weeks to make my mind up but the Tannoy V1 are interesting at that price.

Thanks again,

Mark
    Hi Mark.

No problem at all.

Keep us posted.

Any questions please ask.

His one for you,

Can you get the Wharfdale diamond 121's in up there. They are available on the UK site, they would certainly be very tempting.

regards

Mark

His one for you,

Can you get the Wharfdale diamond 121's in up there. They are available on the UK site, they would certainly be very tempting.

regards

Mark
    Hi Valo086.

Unfortunately they are list up as LAST FEW TO CLEAR as they are now a finished line. We are totally out of stock with no more arriving. They are not available to purchase online with our UK website. 

Once they go last few they could be ex-repair, ex-demo etc..

Any of our clearance stock usually always ends up on boards in our of our many clearance threads.

We will have a few deals coming up within the next week or so for boardies ;) but not on the Wharfedales unfortunately.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.