Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New eFibre Install

Options
  • 13-07-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Got notification 2 weeks ago that eFibre is now available in my area so I ordered it straight away.

It was installed today and it looks like the eFibre speeds are less than my previous ADSL speeds. When I checked last night my download speed was about 10mb. Just checked my eFibre speed and it's around 6mb!

Can I go back to ADSL or what's the best thing to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm interested in this also... Eircom are telling me eFibre would be 24MB.. but when I called Sky, Pure or Vodafone they all tell me that the fibre line to my property is limited to 6MB, and not to waste my time/money on it. 

Is eircom lying about this to customers to get them to sign up to 18 month contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

@pwurple I was quoted 20mb by an eircom rep but when I had Sky (my current provider) check it they quoted approx 12.

I am getting 16+ on adsl, so in the same boat as you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

When you enter your phone number on the eircom site you need to click "discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home" to see the maximum speed you can get with efibre.

With the new efibre service from the exchange that has recently gone live some people will actually get lower speeds if they are more than 1500 metres from the exchange. It's very confusing for people who only qualify for 7mbit efibre because the Eircom site and sales reps will still describe this a super fast broadband.

tuxy wrote: »
    When you enter your phone number on the eircom site you need to click "discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home" to see the maximum speed you can get with efibre.

With the new efibre service from the exchange that has recently gone live some people will actually get lower speeds if they are more than 1500 metres from the exchange. It's very confusing for people who only qualify for 7mbit efibre because the Eircom site and sales reps will still describe this a super fast broadband.
    On my check on the eircom site it says 30Mb... but on the SKY online checker it says 6.8Mb. Hence my confusion. No idea of knowing who is telling the truth. I spoke to a charming person in eircom this morning, who told me it take up to 3 weeks to install fibre, but the cooling off period on the contract is 14 days from purchase. In other words, your cooling off period is shorter than the install period. And you can't cancel it if it's slower than your DSL. So you get stuck paying more money, for a slower product.

[font=FSAlbert, Arial]
    Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home
    [/font]

[font=FSAlbert, Arial][font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']Line Speed[/font]

[font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']You can get a maximum of 30Mb download speed[/font][/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

For the people who have already posted in the thread how far away are ye from te exchange by road??

• Advertisement

For the people who have already posted in the thread how far away are ye from te exchange by road??
    What matters is the distance of cable. You can get a close approximation from your download attenuation on adsl using this site to calculate the distance.
    http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

Trying to guess the distance of copper based on road distance will turn up some very inaccurate results. 

for example my attenuation is 21.3, this puts me about 1542 metres from my exchange. Eircom say I can get 12mb max with efibre, I already get 15mb with adsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi All,

Got notification 2 weeks ago that eFibre is now available in my area so I ordered it straight away.

It was installed today and it looks like the eFibre speeds are less than my previous ADSL speeds. When I checked last night my download speed was about 10mb. Just checked my eFibre speed and it's around 6mb!

Can I go back to ADSL or what's the best thing to do?
    Hi jamieh

If you would like to PM me your eircom account number I will be happy to look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm interested in this also... Eircom are telling me eFibre would be 24MB.. but when I called Sky, Pure or Vodafone they all tell me that the fibre line to my property is limited to 6MB, and not to waste my time/money on it. 

Is eircom lying about this to customers to get them to sign up to 18 month contracts?
    Hi pwurple

I will be happy to give you an acurate and honest indication of what speeds to expect if you would like to PM me your land line number?

Thanks
    Al

Alan can you see how it's a problem in my case where the Eircom site is encouraging me to upgrade from next generation broadband to what is described as super fast Efibre internet.
    NGB gives me 15mb and super fast Efibre internet gives me 12mb.
    I understand the limitations of vdsl so it's ok for me, I won't upgrade(downgrade?) But what about other customers in the same position as I am who don't know what vdsl is?

Alan can you see how it's a problem in my case where the Eircom site is encouraging me to upgrade from next generation broadband to what is described as super fast Efibre internet.
    NGB gives me 15mb and super fast Efibre internet gives me 12mb.
    I understand the limitations of vdsl so it's ok for me, I won't upgrade(downgrade?) But what about other customers in the same position as I am who don't know what vdsl is?
    Hi tuxy

I totally understand your point that it's hardly high speed broadband when the fibre turns out to be actually slower that DSL but It has been confirmed to me that the site will not be able to individualise forecasted speeds on a a cases by case basis - ultimately the term 'up to' is used in advice regarding all speeds however as you seen here both myself and other agents are happy to offer a more specific indication of what speeds to expect.
    You make a valid point though and I will make sure your feedback is added to my weekly reports. I would also just like to assure you that this process is in line with advertising and industry standards.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan, that does make sense. Do you know if there is something in place to advise people if they will experience a downgrade in speed before the eFiber install process is complete? That would completely solve the problem.

Could I get a more accurate estimation on what speed I could expect with eFibre?
    Do you still have my details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Well for me , I was strong armed on the hpone to take up the Efiber ( ~I wanted it for the last year). upon cancelling my old line I was told , yes your moving house its a new address so you can avail of the 6 motnhs rate at lower cost . To add I was lied to by eircom in that they told me i would only have a 12 month contract ( Recieved contract for 18 months) I am also stuck in the 14 day cool off period where the install takes place after the effect. (Comreg will no doubt assist with this dirty technique used by eircom) 
    I now have a bill for 48 per month and no efiber up and running ??????

I get a new account on eircom so possibly i can create a new alias on support forums (They banned me for complaints of non delivery over a year ago due to DF issues) 

Lies , Lies , Lies not once in my history of living in this country have I ever gotten a straight answer from Eircom. ITs damn near impossible.

Thanks Alan, that does make sense. Do you know if there is something in place to advise people if they will experience a downgrade in speed before the eFiber install process is complete? That would completely solve the problem.

Could I get a more accurate estimation on what speed I could expect with eFibre?
    Do you still have my details?
    Cheers tuxy - there's nothing in place like that at present but when people sign up with an agent this is advised. Your point is certainly valid and I'll make operations aware of this.

The cabinet your line is connected to is not due to go live until tomorrow so It's best to check then - I'll be back in touch with you tomorrow afternoon

Cheers

Al

Hi pwurple

I will be happy to give you an acurate and honest indication of what speeds to expect if you would like to PM me your land line number?

Thanks
    Al
    Hi, sorry I was too annoyed with the ethics of the cooling off period being longer than the install period from eircom. That just smacks of corruption and tricking people. I've switched to a different provider this afternoon.

Hi pwurple

Thanks
    Al
    Hi, sorry I was too annoyed with the ethics of the cooling off period being longer than the install period from eircom. That just smacks of corruption and tricking people. I've switched to a different provider this afternoon.
    Sorry to hear this pwurple

Granted the installation can take up to 15 working days in some cases however this is advised as 'up to' & the installation period is usually complete before the cooling off period however I do genuinely wish you the best with your choice.

Thanks
    Al

Hi pwurple

Thanks
    Al
    Sorry to hear this pwurple

Granted the installation can take up to 15 working days in some cases however this is advised as 'up to' & the installation period is usually complete before the cooling off period however I do genuinely wish you the best with your choice.

Thanks
    Al
    That's convenient that the cooling off period is 14 days, and the install period is 'up to' 15. Doncha think? 

This is part of the transcript from my eircom Chat.

Me> "If the line turns out to be slower after the install, can the contract be broken?"
    Eircom Rep> "you will be unable to cancel the contract once you are still receiving some service."

So, 18 months of payments for a complete gamble on whether the service is faster or slower?  Sign me up!! :rolleyes:

Ye look at the amount of helpful attention my post recieves , If i was any one reading this thread the clear cut advice i would give is avoid eircom at all costs.

I signed nothing , was given conflicting and incorrect information so it will be easy to walk away. Comreg got your back lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

im not sure if anybody in this thread knows anything about my question but i am due to be upgraded to efibre next week and the master socket in my house is the old one with only one port in it designed for a telephone, when the engineer arrives to the house to install the new faceplate will he have any issues with my socket

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

im not sure if anybody in this thread knows anything about my question but i am due to be upgraded to efibre next week and the master socket in my house is the old one with only one port in it designed for a telephone, when the engineer arrives to the house to install the new faceplate will he have any issues with my socket
    They will refit the socket to work with efibre

Hi Barry Kelliher

As Mediahaul correctly advised above, the installation technician will refit the socket with a new faceplate.

(Cheers Mediahaul!)

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Hey, if you get a chance today can you look into what speed I can expect with eFibre?

Hey, if you get a chance today can you look into what speed I can expect with eFibre?
    Sure tuxy, leave this with me and I'll get back to you this afternoon

Thanks
    Al

Efiber install , FAIL again. I move house Eircom fail to pass email and mobile phone number into the new account (From old account) to add i was on the phone multiple times and Each time i was asked to confirm my details so my number and email where on file . Eircom arrange call out by KN , Fail to give KN correct details for customer No Email , no phone number , called KN to ask why and it was explained as i just did. The contract corruption and total lack of basic admin work leaves me dumb founded. 

Another day off wasted for the illusive eircom kama sutra appointment. Due to the sneaky 14 day contract i cant even move to another provider . ( Contacted comreg have a case ref number) Each time i call back to cancel i get the sympathetic ear ........... 

There has to be a legal way to fight this carry on of 14 days closure of the contract opt out, before said product has even been delivered,  It has to be a breech of law and basic statutory rights.

I am stuck now at the behest of a company whom i cannot clasify as an isp , the double bills , overcharging , non ability to track customers and theyre details , failure to pass on the details from one branch to another, it more than smacks of  corruption it rings out in my ears as Duffy's Circus with the loudest circus music possible banging away behind it.

Jesus wept , Two failed installs , and why ? Eircom fail to pass the mobile number ( Contact info) and email to KN, So they might have a clue  who to call on the day . I did alot of digging to find the break down is on the Eircom side and non ability to pass basic customer info to the installer contractors who are KN.  So tomorrow I am due for another install, I decide to call KN this morning to query if my contact details are now listed on the install job , Guess what , no again nothing . I ask KN to take my details as Eircom obviously are not capable of passing the information on . Why is this the case Eircom , Why can you not do a simple task ? 

Last week going through all of this obviously im irate at this stage, taking time off work to meet the installer who would never come .  
    This week i take the innitiative and decide ill do Eircoms job for them , give them a helping hand so to speak .( Laughs)

When i called last week i was going to cancel and when that was announced to the agent (Eircom) They refused to give me my account number and UAN so that i could move immeadiatly to Vodafone. I was told on that call no sir its for data privacy we cannot give you your own information. ( I thought this is bullsh1t as i have been given my creds before over the phone. Today i call eircom, to investigate the install arrangements , and guess what i was given on that call , My order number , my account number and my uan . (So lies are being told by eircom agents fact.)( I was blocked on the day from getting my info as they knew i was going to move to another isp and they needed time to put a line block in place)

So you dont give peoples info out over the phone even though they are the owner of said info (Moot for any data privacey issues as account owners are the data owners)  You fail to give the thrid party this info as it is required to complete the work . So I think i can see a pattern here . 

Such a sad sad company with very bad expectations held by its cusomters , you do realise Eircom that Siro and NBP will be bringing such features as :-

Remembering that contact details are required to make contact .
    Lies only serve to further diminish your reputation. 
    Service and customer service are one of the same thing .
    Protecting data is not that hard once you understand what that actually means. 
    A product must be in the hands of a customer before a contract can begin .

dbit wrote: »
    Jesus wept , Two failed installs , and why ? Eircom fail to pass the mobile number ( Contact info) and email to KN, So they might have a clue  who to call on the day . I did alot of digging to find the break down is on the Eircom side and non ability to pass basic customer info to the installer contractors who are KN.  So tomorrow I am due for another install, I decide to call KN this morning to query if my contact details are now listed on the install job , Guess what , no again nothing . I ask KN to take my details as Eircom obviously are not capable of passing the information on . Why is this the case Eircom , Why can you not do a simple task ? 

Last week going through all of this obviously im irate at this stage, taking time off work to meet the installer who would never come .  
    This week i take the innitiative and decide ill do Eircoms job for them , give them a helping hand so to speak .( Laughs)

When i called last week i was going to cancel and when that was announced to the agent (Eircom) They refused to give me my account number and UAN so that i could move immeadiatly to Vodafone. I was told on that call no sir its for data privacy we cannot give you your own information. ( I thought this is bullsh1t as i have been given my creds before over the phone. Today i call eircom, to investigate the install arrangements , and guess what i was given on that call , My order number , my account number and my uan . (So lies are being told by eircom agents fact.)( I was blocked on the day from getting my info as they knew i was going to move to another isp and they needed time to put a line block in place)

So you dont give peoples info out over the phone even though they are the owner of said info (Moot for any data privacey issues as account owners are the data owners)  You fail to give the thrid party this info as it is required to complete the work . So I think i can see a pattern here . 

Such a sad sad company with very bad expectations held by its cusomters , you do realise Eircom that Siro and NBP will be bringing such features as :-

Hi dbit

I am sorry to hear of the failed appointments and sorry to hear of the upset this is causing you however I have asked on multiple occasions in the past through eircoms forum and through our account on Twitter for you to PM me your account details so I can help yet you have refused every times.

Again, I am offering to help if you would like to PM me your order or account details?

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Can you check what speed I can expect please PM sent.

Hi dbit

I am sorry to hear of the failed appointments and sorry to hear of the upset this is causing you however I have asked on multiple occasions in the past through eircoms forum and through our account on Twitter for you to PM me your account details so I can help yet you have refused every times.

Again, I am offering to help if you would like to PM me your order or account details?

Al
    AL ,

Thanks for the response . please understand my gripe is with your company not with any individual. If you read my comments you will see that i have had to interveen every step of the way to ensure i get this installed . I have been lied to by eircom , let down and dissapointed to the degree that i have to reach into the interoperating bodies your company employs in order to get an install completed. 30 days after its due date , 15 days outside of the illegal cool off practice ( Note :- Irirsh retail law overrides the Eircom T&C so the ability for eircom to lock the line is then removed once comreg has been involved)

I have given you guys the chance to right this via Twitter and various other channels ( You banned me last year from eircom support forums for complaining about Direct fed issues and false advertising that it was ensbled in my area over a year ago) Please dont patronise me with your "we asked if we could help" or "we tried to help" . In this instance all you had to do was give my details to KN so that on the day they could actually call me - as they had issues finding my house , and still do.

I have had to arrange again for tomorrow that KN actually have my details as when i called them This AM they told me yet again they do not hold contact info on the job itself.

Hi dbit

Al
    AL ,

Thanks for the response . please understand my gripe is with your company not with any individual. If you read my comments you will see that i have had to interveen every step of the way to ensure i get this installed . I have been lied to by eircom , let down and dissapointed to the degree that i have to reach into the interoperating bodies your company employs in order to get an install completed. 30 days after its due date , 15 days outside of the illegal cool off practice ( Note :- Irirsh retail law overrides the Eircom T&C so the ability for eircom to lock the line is then removed once comreg has been involved)

I have given you guys the chance to right this via Twitter and various other channels ( You banned me last year from eircom support forums for complaining about Direct fed issues and false advertising that it was ensbled in my area over a year ago) Please dont patronise me with your "we asked if we could help" or "we tried to help" . In this instance all you had to do was give my details to KN so that on the day they could actually call me - as they had issues finding my house , and still do.

I have had to arrange again for tomorrow that KN actually have my details as when i called them This AM they told me yet again they do not hold contact info on the job itself.
    Thanks for clarifying that dbit

However each time we asked you to DM or PM your details to enable us (the social media team) to look in this we were ignored. Even my most recent offer to help (above post) has not been taken - if you change your mind please PM me the details. You were removed from the eircom forum for multiple breaches and ignoring multiple warnings for spamming & offensive content.

Al

Offensive comments , Hardly. The reality of it all is the truth may hurt . Customer service is a well laughed upon joke within the expanse of this country regarding Eircom . Trolling maybe , its the only way to get Eircoms attention. Sadly support from your company never fails to amaze me . I will leave it at that .  ( I asked for production of your alleged accusations and all i got was mods decision is final , no production of anything that could be considered warranting a ban , simple the noise i was making upset Eircom and Eircom alone , As i said the truth hurts. :-)

• Advertisement

Offensive comments , Hardly. The reality of it all is the truth may hurt . Customer service is a well laughed upon joke within the expanse of this country regarding Eircom . Trolling maybe , its the only way to get Eircoms attention. Sadly support from your company never fails to amaze me . I will leave it at that .  ( I asked for production of your alleged accusations and all i got was mods decision is final , no production of anything that could be considered warranting a ban , simple the noise i was making upset Eircom and Eircom alone , As i said the truth hurts. :-)
    Ok dbit

The offer to help is still there if you want to PM your details

Al

Advertisement