Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats happened to my tree ??

Options
  • 13-07-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Evening all

Can anyone suggest what might have happened to this tree in my front garden. Not sure what type of tree...but beautiful blue-ish flowers when in bloom. Was cut back recently when getting the garden tidied...but now major "cracks" have appeared along the trunk and branches. Almost like they're trying to split open !. Only noticed it today.

Any ideas ?.

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I think it's a Ceanothus looking at the timber colour, and with your description. If it was cut back hard in to old wood it wouldn't recover and has simply died. The splitting is just because the moisture has gone from the trunks I'd imagine.

Also, Ceanothus can die off after a few years for no real reason.

Is there any green growth on the tree still?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

lk67 wrote: »
    I think it's a Ceanothus looking at the timber colour, and with your description. If it was cut back hard in to old wood it wouldn't recover and has simply died. The splitting is just because the moisture has gone from the trunks I'd imagine.

Also, Ceanothus can die off after a few years for no real reason.

Is there any green growth on the tree still?

Nothing green at all - looks really dry. Looked great early in the year - and in fairness while it was cut back it wasn't "butchered". Perhaps just time !!. Thanks anyway, K

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had an apparently healthy and happy ceanothus up ad die very suddenly. It had previously been cut back and not objected, then one year it just died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup ceanothus are a short-lived plant in my experience too. That one is dead as a dodo.

Advertisement