Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on pricing work / who to approach

Options
  • 13-07-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been thinking of doing some work on our small house in D4 but I'm currently struggling to find a builder who has time to do the project. This also means I haven't yet received a rough quote either.

So my question here is, how should I go about finding a builder to:
    • Add a small 10SqM extension to the back of the house
    • Remove storage heaters and install GFCH
    • Re-order the groundfloor layout and plumb the new area for a new kitchen

Are recommendations allowed here through PM?

Thanks all your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have you drawings and specifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

I have a rough outline which I'm happy to PM to anyone for context :)

@DOCARCH, are you willing to have a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Get the architect or engineer who is overseeing and signing off on the build to recommend a builder that they would deem competent for the project. They will prepare a tender package and forward it to the builders on your behalf. If you're unsure you have the funds to do the work you want, to the extent you want get a quantity surveyor to do budget costings for you to give you a rough idea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I have a rough outline which I'm happy to PM to anyone for context :)

@DOCARCH, are you willing to have a look?

I was not really offering to look!!! :p

The reason you are not getting quotes, I would suggest, is the 'rough outline' bit! You really need to consider having proper plans and specifications prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 markqs

Even if you only have a sketch or wish list a quantity surveyor can guide you on what you are looking for, will it work and the all important question - how much?

• Advertisement
Advertisement