Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short of credits on Erasmus

Options
  • 13-07-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I'm currently on Erasmus in Germany and I have been faced with a bit of a problem.

I have only been here for one semester and I assumed that I would need 30 ECTS credits to pass the semester. Now, it is pretty much impossible for me to get 30 ECTS, I think 25 is far far more realistic with the end of the semester looming.

I have referred to the DIT website, and it says that your Erasmus coordinator in Ireland would inform you of how many credits you would need. I know it's stupid, but I never even thought to ask how many credits I would need before I left Ireland, predominantly because, on the course I am doing at home, I have no choice in which modules I can take, all of my modules are pre chosen, meaning every module in Ireland automatically adds up to 30 ECTS.

Of course, when I submitted my Before Learning Agreement, I did write in modules that added up to 30 ECTS, however one of the modules didn't exactly go to plan and, as a result, I'm not going to be credited for that module.

My Bachelor at home, Journalism, is without a language, however I have been studying languages here.

Another mistake on my part was that basically I had already chosen to go somewhere other than where I am in Germany now. The German Erasmus coordinator in the college, a lovely woman who was extremely helpful, told me that I would be able to study in English at my university in German. This left me with very little time to change my mind, however I decided on a whim to go with Germany because I had studied German in school and have visited several times before, it's a country that I really like.

So, when I actually submitted my forms in January, I was unaware that I would be unable to take any modules where English was the language used. My German is poor, improving, but definitely not good enough for the classes that I am taking here at the moment.

I have e-mailed the college to ask about this but right now I am worried out of my mind so I thought I'd post here to see if anybody could offer me any insight on this situation! I have seen some other posts where people say that if you're only off by a little bit, the college will help you out on that end. But is 5 ECTS a little bit? I don't know.

Thank you kindly in advance for any responses.

Advertisement