Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to move rent payment date due to salary payment changes

Options
  • 13-07-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Question - I usually pay my rent in the middle of the month for that month, however my pay cycle changed in July so I'm now getting paid at the end of the month so I told the landlord il pay him julys rent at the end of this month and he's now claiming il owe him an additional 3 weeks cause I've delayed the payment. How can this be right? As far as I'm concerned, once I pay Julys rent in July everything is up to date???

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Question - I usually pay my rent in the middle of the month for that month, however my pay cycle changed in July so I'm now getting paid at the end of the month so I told the landlord il pay him julys rent at the end of this month and he's now claiming il owe him an additional 3 weeks cause I've delayed the payment. How can this be right? As far as I'm concerned, once I pay Julys rent in July everything is up to date???

When you moved in did you pay a months rent in advance along with a deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I presume at the start you paid a month's deposit, and a months rent in advance.

You are now effectively paying in arrears.

The landlord just wants to restore his security.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What date in the month did you move in on and have you changed dates or missed payments since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As per the charter please use meaningful thread titles
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

We paid a months rent & deposit up front, we've been living there for 3 years and all of a sudden he's coming up with this bull, surely if he's getting the months rent for that month, that's it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It depends on whether or not you want to keep paying him at the end of the month or if this is a once off? If you want to continually pay him 3 weeks later than usual then I think it's fair enough.

L'prof wrote: »
    It depends on whether or not you want to keep paying him at the end of the month or if this is a once off? If you want to continually pay him 3 weeks later than usual then I think it's fair enough.

Yeah but regardless of the time of the month, he's still getting paid so how can he charge us arrears???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We paid a months rent & deposit up front, we've been living there for 3 years and all of a sudden he's coming up with this bull, surely if he's getting the months rent for that month, that's it?

Nope.

Up until now you have paid each months rent in advance so julys payment covered rent to mid August

Now you want to change to the end of the month haven't paid in advance for the normal weeks so your next payment is as they say

It will go back to normal at the end of August but end of July will be weeks due in July and the whole of august

Stheno wrote: »
    Nope.

Up until now you have paid each months rent in advance so julys payment covered rent to mid August

Now you want to change to the end of the month haven't paid in advance for the normal weeks so your next payment is as they say

It will go back to normal at the end of August but end of July will be weeks due in July and the whole of august

Ok I see what you mean but I still feel like I'm being conned because he gets a payment every month for the month!

Yeah but regardless of the time of the month, he's still getting paid so how can he charge us arrears???

Because by changing your payment date you have built up arrears and have to settle that before going back to your regular monthly payment

He still needs to get his rent a month in advance

• Advertisement

Ok I see what you mean but I still feel like I'm being conned because he gets a payment every month for the month!

You are not being conned.

The middle of this month you were due to pay rent in advance up to the middle of August

Your landlord has agreed to move the payment date to the end of the month, so now you have the advance rent from July and the whole of August due so he keeps that month in advance

It will go back to normal the end of august

Stheno wrote: »
    You are not being conned.

The middle of this month you were due to pay rent in advance up to the middle of August

Your landlord has agreed to move the payment date to the end of the month, so now you have the advance rent from July and the whole of August due so he keeps that month in advance

It will go back to normal the end of august

Ok I understand what you mean, thanks for your advice Stheno 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Because your paying him late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

I had exactly this problem about 4 years ago. I signed a lease and moved into a place on 21st but was paid on 28th. After 3 months of headaches I went to the landlord offered him 1 weeks rent to change the due date to the 28th and extend the lease by 1 week.

He agreed everyone was happy.

Advertisement