Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gastroenteritis in dog

• 13-07-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

My little 8 month old cocker spaniel has been vomiting and diarrhoea since yesterday morning. I brought him to the vet and was given antibiotics and probiotics and was told to feed him boiled chicken and rice.

My problem is he is refusing to eat anything and still isn't drinking much. I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions for bland food that he might eat as he is really lethargic and think he needs to eat something!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd be inclined to give the vet a call just to let him/her know that pup's not eating... I'd have liked to have seen the antibiotics kicking in by now.
    Try stuff you wouldn't normally give him, just to see can he be tempted... Maybe a bit of ham or picnic roll... Hell, I've even used Pedigree in gravy, or Aldi wet food for sick and inappentant dogs :o. Sometimes, just a little bit of tasty food will start them rallying.
    Poor fella, hope he's ok. Keep us posted!

Edited to add: sorry, assumed it was yesterday you brought him to the vet with my antibiotics comment. If it was only today he saw the vet, don't panic yet. Give him til tomorrow and let the drugs kick in overnight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Marmite in the water worked for us before when Bailey was sick. Thank god because they'd given him 24 hours to improve or else he was going in for IV fluids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

The antibiotics seem to have kicked in a bit today as he has more energy but still refusing to eat the boiled chicken! I kinda went against the vet as i wanted him to eat something and gave him some origen puppy dry food (he doesn't have it often as normally raw fed) and he seems to be eating that ok.

He still hasn't pooped yet though and seems REALLY gassy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭jimf

I wouldn't worry about the poop side of things poor little guy is probably pooped out and with no food intake this would be normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

how is he today? a little bit of scrambled egg might tempt him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

he still seems really tired but did poop- quite soft but i kinda expected that.

i brought him around the block and he has been sleeping since so the bug really has taken it out of him!

Advertisement