Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Textiles

• 13-07-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So need a bit of advice from people in the know how about gear. Im a little bit hesistant to buy anything before I talk to a few people who have some knowledge about whats currently on the market and seeing as I've only been looking for the last week or so on Revzilla I thought you guys/girls would be the perfect people to ask.

Jacket
    Pants
    Gloves

At the moment im at €520 with the above but my Budget is around €500 for all three pieces so I could do with cutting a little one of the pieces. I commute around 50-60 miles daily and would spend a lot of time in my gear over the weekends whether its on or off the bike. I have a two piece rain gear set so it doesnt have to be gortex or anything.

My original bike-wear was second hand and was way to big. I've gotten three years out of it so I think its time for an upgrade.

Any thoughts/opinions/recommendations on what could be better would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I went with the RST Adventure kit. http://www.rstireland.ie/rst-adventure-textile-jacket

Probably a bit more expensive than your budget.

I like it though. Jacket and trousers. Modular - inner warmth lining, waterproof lining and then armoured jacket/trousers. Great for all weathers. Plenty of pockets for items too.

If anything, I should have gone for one size smaller, but then again, it's not too loose so I can feel the armour in the right spots.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Have had a RST textile set for 2 years and is still working well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

+1 for RST save a bit more and get a set. I have the paragon II set and never let me down.

I have my Paragon Series 3 yrs. Not a bother on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

+1 RST I have the ventilator 3 pants for 3 years and they're still good. Thats 3 years every single day as I travel a lot (27k miles last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I have the alpinestars jacket and trousers - got them just about a month ago now in Megabikes when I bought my bike. I wear them on the commute through town, in the rain, and have worn them on the Naas dual carriageway.

So far, they are fine. I removed the thermal liner from the jacket and it has been just the right temperature, not over warm. They seal up nice and high on the neck, and the cuffs seal around my gloves too. Same with the trouser cuffs, there's velcro to wrap them tight around my boots.

For the longer journey, I zip the jacket and trousers together and have had no problems.

I'm happy with the quality, but it has only been a month, so not sure how much that's worth. Dunno about the gloves, I spent a good bit on a pair of Dainese gloves, I think gloves are probably worth spending on as they are effectively your interface with the bike.

• Advertisement

Gavin wrote: »
    I have the alpinestars jacket and trousers - got them just about a month ago now in Megabikes when I bought my bike. I wear them on the commute through town, in the rain, and have worn them on the Naas dual carriageway.

So far, they are fine. I removed the thermal liner from the jacket and it has been just the right temperature, not over warm. They seal up nice and high on the neck, and the cuffs seal around my gloves too. Same with the trouser cuffs, there's velcro to wrap them tight around my boots.

For the longer journey, I zip the jacket and trousers together and have had no problems.

I'm happy with the quality, but it has only been a month, so not sure how much that's worth. Dunno about the gloves, I spent a good bit on a pair of Dainese gloves, I think gloves are probably worth spending on as they are effectively your interface with the bike.

How much did you pay? I bet it was nearly double the RST textiles...dont get me wrong Alpinestars stuff is great but pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The jacket was ~250 euro I think, and the trousers were thrown in with the bike. I think they were around 150 or so.

Gavin wrote: »
    The jacket was ~250 euro I think, and the trousers were thrown in with the bike. I think they were around 150 or so.

Thats not too bad TBH....even if you paid for the bottoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Paulw wrote: »
    I went with the RST Adventure kit. http://www.rstireland.ie/rst-adventure-textile-jacket

Probably a bit more expensive than your budget.

I like it though. Jacket and trousers. Modular - inner warmth lining, waterproof lining and then armoured jacket/trousers. Great for all weathers. Plenty of pockets for items too.

If anything, I should have gone for one size smaller, but then again, it's not too loose so I can feel the armour in the right spots.

How'd you find it and where'd you get it? Have my beady eye on a set, but I didn't spot it in bikeworld a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭An truicear tochasach

I got mine in Aldi - around April. Mostly in leathers or leather jacket
    & textile pants combination this time of year but no complaints so fsr except the pants sre heavily lined/insulated. - yes (so far) they're grand but not getting much wear this time of year. I do expect them to last the winter & they're sub €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Alpinestars Valparaiso is meant to be one of the best bang for buck totally waterproof textiles you can get. You might get a decent discount on last year's jacket and pants as there is a newer version out for 2015. Heard lads on biker.ie getting the jacket and pants for 300 in some places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

gerrowadat wrote: »
    How'd you find it and where'd you get it? Have my beady eye on a set, but I didn't spot it in bikeworld a few weeks back.

Got it in Bikeworld. I did ask for advice and they directed me to it.

I find the quit great. Comfortable, plenty of pockets, not restrictive, good armour, good in cold, good in wet ... it does what it says on the tin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

I have Held jacket, pants and gloves, 100% waterproof and really warm, cost me €550 from fc-moto.
    When it comes to textiles in particular you're usually better off spending a bit extra to actually get waterproof gear.

I've had the RST Paragon III jacket and pants and they're not waterproof, they might be okay for the odd spin but certainly not if you're going to be driving your bike everyday in Winter weather. They started letting in the rain on me within the first few weeks of wearing.
    My friend has RST Adventure jacket and while it's better than the Paragon III, it's still not 100% waterproof. Again, it might hold up for the odd spin but not for everyday driving.
    My friend has also had the zip replaced twice on an RST leather jacket and had to return a pair of RST boots which were supposed to be waterproof but weren't even water resistant, nevermind waterproof, so I don't have good things to say about the quality of RST gear.

I find it absolutely pointless buying the likes of RUKKA for €1800 or even €500 for waterproof gear, when any gear even lidl or aldi is totally waterproof with a 20 richa or RST rain jacket over it. It takes seconds to put it on.....

Maybe if commuting 365 and you have a few quid but for me RST with a 2 piece rain suit and you have every single weather event covered. Done it for yrs going up and down to the races and in Germany and Switzerland last summer (different kind of rain believe me)

Most of the features that more expensive brands advertise is just marketing BS.

The only piece of gear where I feel a premium price is warranted is the helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Will have a look at some of the RST stuff suggested when I get home. My dad was recommending them as well. He said a lot of couriers are using them these days which generally means there good value for money. The adventure stuff seems like some serious kit as well.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I find it absolutely pointless buying the likes of RUKKA for €1800 or even €500 for waterproof gear, when any gear even lidl or aldi is totally waterproof with a 20 richa or RST rain jacket over it. It takes seconds to put it on.....

Maybe if commuting 365 and you have a few quid but for me RST with a 2 piece rain suit and you have every single weather event covered. Done it for yrs going up and down to the races and in Germany and Switzerland last summer (different kind of rain believe me)

Thats actually what Ive been doing up until now. Got a the two piece Richa Rain Warrior suit last year. Its annoying having to carry an extra bag everywhere I go though so I think it could be worth saving up for waterproof textiles. Also living outside Dublin means a 30 mile commute to work/college which means any showers and your soaked upon on arrival (without rain gear).

Im assuming the majority order online ? Would there be much of a difference between online prices and brick and mortar shops ?
    Pugzilla wrote: »

The only piece of gear where I feel a premium price is warranted is the helmet.

Agree with you on the helmet. I couldnt believe the difference between my first Shark helmet and then the AGV one I bought to replace it. The AGV ended up nearly three times more expensive than the Shark but you could feel every penny. Money well spent. I think with most things you get what you pay for. Dont get me wrong, Im sure theres a percentage of the cost that goes towards "paying for the brand" but id say over-all your money goes towards good design, comfort and usability.

I suppose when you're on the bike everyday you have different requirements for your gear. I'd be freezing on the bike in the Winter with just oil skins, although they're grand for the weather we're getting at the moment because it's still quite warm.

Like what?

YurOK2 wrote: »
    Like what?

Stingray skin for gloves

Stingray skin for gloves

What? Who is using stingray skin for gloves?

Common sense usually see you through the marketing bull**** TBH.....

• Advertisement

YurOK2 wrote: »
    What? Who is using stingray skin for gloves?

This also has kangaroo leather and titanium.
    http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/234808

Kangaroo leather is a hell of alot stronger then cow hide....thats a fact! No marketing crap there.....as for genuine titanium used in the gloves??? But held are absolute super gloves, I have the Held Air n Dry and they are perfect 2 yrs on in all weather.

Would not pay that money for gloves, taught I was mad getting the Knox Androids for a hefty price.

Holy shít, that's crazy!!
    A fool and his money are easily parted though.

My Held gloves were €60 and they're the best gloves I've owned. I've had Richa, RST, Oxford, Frank Thomas, Alpinestars.
    Same goes for my jacket and trousers, best I've owned.

Kangaroo leather is a hell of alot stronger then cow hide....thats a fact! No marketing crap there.....as for genuine titanium used in the gloves??? But held are absolute super gloves, I have the Held Air n Dry and they are perfect 2 yrs on in all weather.

Would not pay that money for gloves, taught I was mad getting the Knox Androids for a hefty price.

I agree that Held make good gloves. Have a pair myself, but they're more basic touring gloves.

I agree that Held make good gloves. Have a pair myself, but they're more basic touring gloves.

Alot of Held fakes being sold online.....

Alot of Held fakes being sold online.....
    Mine are real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

another vote for RST gear here, ive the paragon 2 jacket and pants and have doen serious mileage in them, not 100% waterproof in real heavy rain but perfectly good for everythingh else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I've an expensive Hein Gericke jacket. Or at least it was expensive 20 years ago when it was bought. Still 100% waterproof. Good value.

My gloves are over ten years old too and still perfect.

Bought relatively cheap trousers 3 years ago and they're on the way out. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭An truicear tochasach

I got mine in Aldi - around April. Mostly in leathers or leather jacket
    & textile pants combination this time of year but no complaints so fsr except the pants sre heavily lined/insulated. - yes (so far) they're grand but not getting much wear this time of year. I do expect them to last the winter & they're sub €200.

I take back what I said- wore the textiles today because of the persistent rain- pants were perfect but had a massive wet patch the size of me belly- which is big☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Had Hein Gerike textile jacket, trousers and gloves since October 2011. Worn them almost daily. Never washed!

Never let me down, plenty of life left, great clothing.

Advertisement