Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting files off an old hard drive

Options
  • 13-07-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it if you wish

Our old desktop gave up at the weekend after 10 years.

Am trying to get some files off the hard drive.

Have removed the hard drive and I was advised to get one of these:

http://www.startech.com/ie/HDD/Adapters/USB-3-to-SATA-or-IDE-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Converter~USB3SSATAIDE

Is there any cheaper options/ products out there or this the handiest way to go.

Novice asking so please excuse the any stupid replies from me:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

mikom wrote: »

Yup loads of options out there, if you want to make regular use of the disk you can also buy the above as a hard drive case (+ search size, 2.5,3.5 ). As ive learned from this forum though, always keep a backup if its important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Old Perry wrote: »
    Yup loads of options out there, if you want to make regular use of the disk you can also buy the above as a hard drive case (+ search size, 2.5,3.5 ). As ive learned from this forum though, always keep a backup if its important.

+1

They weren't my own files and I had them backed up until a year ago but they weren't kept up to date after that, which I only found out this evening :rolleyes: :(

Seen the above is in Hong Kong, hardly any UK/Irish based stockists, as don't fancy waiting a long delivery time and riskiness of buying and it not arriving from Asia, if it's for the sake of a few Euro was hoping sub €20 to let me away.

What search terms should I use, as that Hong Kong based item didn't come up for me in my initial searches on ebay :confused:

Edit:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-5-25-S-ATA-3-5-2-5-Adapter-Cable-UK-seller-/221271423640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3384cdfa98

Would this do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

How were you planning to power your hard drive, OP? Some of those options don't seem to come with a power supply, so you'd need to open up your PC and hook up the hard drive to one of the vacant power connectors in there. And if you are able to do that, then you may be able to just hook up the whole hard drive in there.

What were you thinking of plugging it into? A PC or a laptop?

EDIT: I'm assuming your old hard drive is 3.5" since it's from a desktop, but correct me if I'm wrong.

shineon23 wrote: »

re the above. I wont say im a 100% sure. but as per the end of product description if you want it as external hdd this wont be sufficent, like the other poster said (assuming this hdd is 3.5inch) it will need an extrrnal power source.

if your placing it back into a spare slot on a new desktop then this will be enough.

but i think youre looking for something more like this

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/USB-2-0-3-5-SATA-HDD-External-Case-Enclosure-3-5-inch-Hard-Drive-Disk-Black-UK-/190903690393?nav=SEARCH

this is assuming that the drive is 3.5, also be aware that these cases dont really last in the long term, in my experience.

disclaimer: i dont really use ebay so just done a quick search. therell be many more options out there sub 20 if ya search yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

re the above. I wont say im a 100% sure. but as per the end of product description if you want it as external hdd this wont be sufficent, like the other poster said (assuming this hdd is 3.5inch) it will need an extrrnal power source.

if your placing it back into a spare slot on a new desktop then this will be enough.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/USB-2-0-3-5-SATA-HDD-External-Case-Enclosure-3-5-inch-Hard-Drive-Disk-Black-UK-/190903690393?nav=SEARCH

this is assuming that the drive is 3.5, also be aware that these cases dont really last in the long term, in my experience.

disclaimer: i dont really use ebay so just done a quick search. therell be many more options out there sub 20 if ya search yourself.

I was about to say that's a perfect (and pretty cheap) solution, but that one's specifically for a SATA drive. If the OP's hard drive is a decade old, it's likely to be an IDE drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I have a usb to Sata/IDE complete with power but I can't remember if I bought it locally or on line. There is no manufacturer's name on the box it just says made in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Useless if the OPs disk is IDE.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Useless if the OPs disk is IDE.

Yes as has been mentioned. 'if' being the operative. 10 years ago leaves us in 2005 meaning theres a pretty equal chance of it being serial or not. Either way all the info is here for the op to figure for themselves.

if the op is reading this just google sata input/ ide or pata input images and youll know fairly quickly what you have got.

Cheers everyone for the replies

Just in the door, by googling there it looks to be a SATA I have.

Inputs are the same as the bottom one in this pic

http://i.stack.imgur.com/bFfIY.jpg

I'd be looking for one with an external power source alright to plug in, late last night I didn't read the description properly thought it came with one as I was looking at a few different ones at the same time,
    I only plan on using it the once to get the files off it, suppose it'd be a bonus if I could use it as an external hardrive but it's not necessary.

• Advertisement

shineon23 wrote: »
    Cheers everyone for the replies

Just in the door, by googling there it looks to be a SATA I have.

Inputs are the same as the bottom one in this pic

http://i.stack.imgur.com/bFfIY.jpg

I'd be looking for one with an external power source alright to plug in, late last night I didn't read the description properly thought it came with one as I was looking at a few different ones at the same time,
    I only plan on using it the once to get the files off it, suppose it'd be a bonus if I could use it as an external hardrive but it's not necessary.

good stuff. ah itll be usable certainly as an external hd its just in my experience ( and i suppose its the same with any hdd not just the cases) they have a tendancy to fail at some point, not necessaryily leaving the hdd useless but can be an inconvinience.

The one I was ready to buy on ebay, seller said was now out of stock.

http://www.adverts.ie/other-cables/new-full-set-of-cables-adapters-to-connect-ide-2-5-3-5-sata-devices-via-usb/5125549

Would this item do the job for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Should do, but seems a tad pricy, for something you use once. I recently got the data part of that for less than 5euro, and I've bought the power part for around the same.

Does the PC not power on at all, just to power the drive?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Should do, but seems a tad pricy, for something you use once. I recently got the data part of that for less than 5euro, and I've bought the power part for around the same.

Does the PC not power on at all, just to power the drive?

No PC won't power on, think the power supply is gone,
    from a power surge after the ESB put back on power after works locally. Am told there was a smell of burning when the power went back on :confused:

Any options out there for similar money so I could use it as an external Hard drive?
    it's only 80 GB in size so I'm not really that pushed.

Something like this?
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/dual-2-5-3-5-sata-esata-ide-hdd-dock-docking-station-usb-us/2273976

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Again, seems pricy to me, but I'm a cheapskate!
    I recently bought 2 1TB SATA 3.5 drives for less than 20GBP each; I wouldn't pay 25 just for a 80GB drive.

But yes, it would work, and if you're in a hurry...

Advertisement